Home built guitar number 2, a bit of progress

Looks awesome. I got a custom RG knockoff made with a zebrawood body and maple neck. It is honestly the best sounding guitar i've played. I bought the body wood, bridge (kahler 2300), and pickups myself and sent it to the company (shamray). It is also one of the heaviest (weight-wise). Apparently i got an unusually dense piece.

great work man...bet it's nice when it's finished. I mocked up your sketch...it's a little crude but you get the idea.

guitar2copycopy.jpg

Took me a little longer to get going than I thought it would. But I got a bit done the last couple days.

Next step was bandsawing the taper on the neck.
100_1696Large.jpg

After that, I attach my template with a little 2 sided carpet tape, and true it up with the router.
100_1697Large.jpg

100_1698Large.jpg

Next I bandsaw and machine the fingerboard to match. Here it is in place:
100_1701Large.jpg

Here I was test fitting the pearl dots I bought, making sure they were a good fit with my drill bit. Perfect.
100_1702Large.jpg

Drilling the holes for the inlays. 4mm offset dots in case that isn't clear...
100_1703Large.jpg

A drop of superglue in each hole and a few taps with the plastic mallet:
100_1704Large.jpg

Wrapped up the day by gluing up some extensions on the headstock so I have enough stock to cut out the shape:
100_1705Large.jpg

I'll be back at it tomorrow and most likely attaching the fingerboard so that I can start fretting.

Yup, once again, looks fantastic. What's the radius of the fretboard? And how did you calculate the taper of it? (taper from the body end to the headstock, I mean)

Yup, once again, looks fantastic. What's the radius of the fretboard? And how did you calculate the taper of it? (taper from the body end to the headstock, I mean)

The board will have a 16" radius.

The taper of the neck is based on the nut width you use, and the string spread of the bridge. I draw it out full scale first, deciding how far I want to have the outermost strings inset from the edge of the board (about 1/8") and then just connect the dots, really.

I picked a nut width just based on other guitars that I like. (1 11/16")

Sweet dude - for the fretboard, did you just get a big hunk of ebony and cut it down to size? How did you carve the top radius and measure it as 16"?

Sweet dude - for the fretboard, did you just get a big hunk of ebony and cut it down to size? How did you carve the top radius and measure it as 16"?

I buy fingerboard blanks from Luthiers Mercantile, an online luthier's supply center. I get them pre-slotted which saves me having to set up a jig to do that sort of precision work. They are just oversize rectangular blanks that you have to cut down to size. For radiusing, I use a radiused sanding block (also sourced from Luthier's Mercantile) which is just a long hardwood block with a radius machined on one side. You stick sandpaper to it and go to work on the board until it takes the full radius. You also need to set up some edge guides so that you keep the sanding block straight as you radius the board. Some people set up an elaborate fixture so they can machine the radius with a router - if I built alot more I might do the same thing - but right now I don't.

Today I finished with the board, cut out the headstock shape, installed the truss rod and glued on the board. Tonight I pulled off the clamps and got some mock up shots of the guitar. I'm getting excited now.

The headstock shape, still needing a little sanding:
100_1716Large.jpg

A few dabs of silicone to keep the truss rod from ever rattling:
100_1708Large.jpg

Truss rod in and fingerboard glued and clamped up:
100_1709Large.jpg

Starting to look more like a guitar!
100_1706Large.jpg

100_1712Large.jpg

100_1715Large.jpg

Nice job so far. After watching my guitar being built, I want to dive in and build one so bad, but I just wouldn't be able to come up with the money for wood working tools. I need studio gear more than I need tools to build a guitar.... Maybe someday....