Honest opinions on Watershed

Watershed is their most mature album. There really is (imo) no bad song on it. A Fantastic performance from the whole band.

At least it doesn't feature Mad Cat (burger and fries) on the intro track like the new Darkane does

After reading some of the posts, not all, I assume that Opeth represents a "girl" for you: you'd want it to be only what you liked, and you wouldn't let it grow emotionally. Opeth's not a picture of your best friends that you lose after leaving school.

P.S: you know what i mean, right?

Okay I got my Watershed copy yesterday.

Now as a true owner of the album I see myself more worthy to criticize/like/hate it.

As I have pointed out before, even when saying idiotic things like some songs on album which were not very interesting, the album is musically one of the best in 2008. Melodies, solos, riffs very very genius artistic value they hold. (Yoda mode on :p ) I like it. I liked it anyway, but as I have said before it could have been more brutal. Lack of brutal vocals worry me, not for this album but for the future, one that Opeth might stop making songs similar to Leper Affinity or Godhead's Lament or Blackwater Park. But I say it again, this album rocks. Good job Opeth !

I really like the album, plenty of great moments, nice atmosphere (I do like the autumny sound more though) I think it could do with at least one 'straight up heavy Opeth' track, which I think all the albums (bar Damnation) should have.
Coil is a great song too, at first I wasn't so sure about it but it has grown on me :D It adds another layer to the many layers of Opeth which is great.

What I hope Watershed will be remembered for is that it really is/was a watershed for Opeth. That it led Opeth to a new direction just like MAYH did. Though I don't personally care that much for that particular album, it led to Still Life, which in other hand is their best one this far. I believe that the next Opeth album will be a truly great one. Watershed + no weak spots whatsoever.

Listen to Watershed without Porcelain Heart and you will LOVE it !!!!!! It's a great album, it outshines (the reasons insiiiiiiiiide, given dreams all ridden with pain...) the maturity of Akerfeldt musicwise !

Even though I like the entire album, I don't think Porcelein Heart, Burden and Hex Omega "deserves" to be on the same album as Coil+Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater and Hessian Peel. As we say in Norway, misunderstand me correctly.

I Like it! Very much!

But I wonder...What is the point of Porcelain Heart?

And the lyrics are complete nonsense. But I love it just the same.

am i the only one here who thinks that deliverance is the best album in world wide music? lol

I fully agree. I like all the albums individually in their own seperate ways. However, Deliverance has that special spark that keeps my headbanging constantly.

As for watershed, I have my pros and cons. Yes line up changes make a difference, and you can't always appease everyone out in the crowd. As an artist myself I stick true to a quote from Cliff Burton from Metallica "We are who we are and we play what we play. We aren't trying to be anyone else but ourselves and if people don't like it then they will have to deal with it."

Watershed did well with the tracks, but i feel as if they were watered down a little...:yuk:

Deliverance has less feeling than any other Opeth's album
Mikael's clean vocal are weak, as he was trying something new without the results he expected. Maybe Steven Wilson went too deep in it.
otherwise, it's the heaviest opeth's album. ever.

Honestly I think Mikael has let the lyrics slip... nowhere near as interesting as lyrics from past albums. And there is a couple vocal melodies I think sound a little too nursery rhyme-ish. Will, the, children, cry. When, their, mother, dies. Basically I like Heir Apparent and Lotus Eater more than the rest of the songs, Burden is okay too but I'm not really into the vocals in that song so much. Also, sometimes it feels the backing riffs for death growls aren't heavy or melodic enough to justify the growls, nothing major but it kills the mood for me in Hessian Peel.

While Watershed has possibly reached the point of musical experimentation I don't necessarily like, I'm glad they're constantly redefining themselves as a band and adding more spices to their songs. Opeth has satisfied me with many hours of musical pleasure and no amount of songs I dislike can change that.

Honestly I think Mikael has let the lyrics slip... nowhere near as interesting as lyrics from past albums.

The real thing (to me) about the lyrics is the mystery behind them. What does it talk about? Otherwise, I totally agree. Mikael wrote them in only one night. I know he was very inspired, but you just can't write so many text and expect it to be very good.

Deliverance has less feeling than any other Opeth's album
Mikael's clean vocal are weak, as he was trying something new without the results he expected. Maybe Steven Wilson went too deep in it.
otherwise, it's the heaviest opeth's album. ever.

I guess it's cool if you think that but I kinda felt like Deliverance has more feeling than every album except maybe Damnation. You need to get into Deliverance's lyrics really, to understand the albums incredibly dark and despairing atmosphere. Orchid, Morningrise, and Blackwater Park cover typical metal subjects and MAYH, Still Life, and Ghost Reveries are somewhat fantastic stories and are thus harder for most people to relate to, and when you look at most of Watershed's lyrics, its quite apparent that the musical score was the main concern on that album over the lyrics. Deliverance, along with Damnation, covers simple human relationships and feelings that anyone can relate to. I think Closure, Hope Leaves, Wreath, and Masters Apprentices are some of Opeth's best songs in terms of songs listeners can really connect to lyrically.

The real thing (to me) about the lyrics is the mystery behind them. What does it talk about? Otherwise, I totally agree. Mikael wrote them in only one night. I know he was very inspired, but you just can't write so many text and expect it to be very good.

If we think about the old girlfriend of Mike who commited suicide as he mentioned in faceculture interview, my theory of songs and what they are about is this:

Girls lies Mike ( overall lyrics have lots of lie references, in lotus, coil, hex omega, heir apparent ) and they break up. The song Coil is about this and they are talking about that.

Heir Apparent is about Mike who got anger after they broke up. Song might be about his personal struggle to keep up with the fact that their relationship is no more. That's why song is so brutal.

Lotus Eater is when Mike hears the news of her death. The song is chaotic because he is surprised, shocked. Not that sad maybe at the first time he hears it. He is completely shocked thats why the song has very strange changes and melodies and feels bizarre even.

Burden is when he truly feels sad about her death. He thinks about the times they had etc and gets sad I guess.

PH is the song that I cant give a meaning.

Hessian Peel is the song that he feels sad for her children maybe. His grief for her death continues.

Hex Omega same with above but the overall emotion is regret atm. Regret about their relationship in past and sadness.

These are all my theories though.