Honest opinions on Watershed

Still loving it! Obviously different than past releases, but that's what it's all about. Keeping the fans on their toes.

BUT, I do have a complaint, not to the band, but to RR's QC department. My CD is starting to wilt or something. Like the paint is chipping off. I've seen similar stuff to this before, and it turned out not being just the paint. The CD would just deteriorate. I'm a little pissed about this and I'm going to email/call RR after work tonight.:mad:

i thought that it didnt have the Creepy mysteriousness of the other albums. watershed was really upbeat in some parts. i like it though. but it took a couple of weeks to get my attention. i just wish it had the creepy epicness. like The Drapery Falls or Ghost of Perdition or Harlequin Forest.

Actually, I think Watershed is a lot eerier than most of their previous albums, though I think Deliverance holds the title for Opeth's eeriest album. I think Ghost Reveries sounds a hell of a lot more "upbeat" than Watershed.

The only truly upbeat songs on Watershed are "Coil" and "Burden," but even "Coil" is a bit foreboding. "Heir Apparent" is an absolute nightmare. "The Lotus Eater" has a really sinister quality to it. "Hessian Peel" is morose and pensive. "Hex Omega" is depressingly sober. And despite being one of Opeth's worst, "Porcelain Heart" isn't exactly shimmery.

"Coil" and "Burden" are upbeat? I guess I have a different definition of the word.

I think the lyrics make Watershed dark, but musically it's obviously lighter than most of their older work. I agree that Watershed is a darker album than Ghost Reveries, but that's it.

Not horrible, not great. There are more songs that I skip over and not listen to on GR than on Watershed but I probably listen to WS the least of any other Opeth CD with MAYH and BWP getting the bulk of the spins. I agree with a previous post that states WS doesn't have the "autumn feeling."

A little off-topic, I spun Morningrise for the first time in a while. There is some absolutely amazing stuff on that album!:headbang:

Sorry, just thought I'd share. Carry on...

i agree that the lyrics are dark. they always are. idk. its just me i guess. WS was my least favorite album. but i still love it. IMO heir apparent and TLE are the only dark creepy songs..not just becuase they are heavy. but ...well they just give me the creeps. i love to play Death Whispered a Lullaby with my friend on acoustic guitar around a dark campfire with friends lol...:Smokedev:

Damnation... I'm always forgetting that album exists. :lol:

I stick by what I said earlier, though. Damnation is also darker than Watershed. Watershed is darker than Ghost Reveries.

Which makes Ghost Reveries the cheeriest Opeth album. It's still my 2nd favorite, though. Dark doesn't equal good, IMO (but dark music does tend to make up a lot of my favorite music).

IMO the only cheery song on GR is Baying Of The Hounds on a couple parts. and atonement which is a friggen weird song. i think one thing that contributed to the shift, musically, was the addition of per wiburg. they never had a key player.

^

Also, the "Devil cracked the earthly shell" part in Ghost of Perdition.

When I first heard that part, I had an immediate negative reaction. "WTF... he sounds HAPPY?! This isn't Opeth!"

I got over it, of course.

Watershed is different from others, we can see Opeth progressing from Ghost Reveries into a something diffrerent, i dont know what though :p
I dont like it as much the other albums yet, but i hope it grows on me like GR, i fucking love GR now
ps - I prefer the production on GR over any other Opeth album, even Watershed

I love Watershed. More-so than Ghost Reveries, even.

Sure, there are a couple tracks that aren't as good as the others, but they are certainly not bad songs. Yeah, the album has a different vibe than anything else the band has done, but I happen to very much enjoy that vibe. If you ask me, it's better for a band to try something slightly different than simply release the same thing over and over again.