Hopefully...

i cant complain much mr. MetalMan CPA because in today's future Opeth is more integrated with today's scene. I suppose you havnt seen them headline Wikipedia?

This is about Scandinavian regional climatic composition and European culture! America has cosmopolite formation about nations and you can see there so many people which have different nationalities. Just because of this subject, it is concerning to music and the other arts! Key words: Dark, cold, rain, gray, economical ease(!), vodka :)

lolcrackfare

you can practice necromancy shamelessly when you bump threads such as these I reckon,,, its a good read.

But dont overdo it...!

Anyone notice that a "J Haughm" from the "pacific northwest" posted above? Could it be that the J Haughm of Agalloch fame was once an active member in our forum? If so, that's very interesting because I didn't think he was an Opeth fan?

Anyway, yeah, I agree that the environment can play a role in an artist's musical development. Would Opeth sound the same if Mikael had been born in Detroit? Perhaps.. but, there are probably larger cultural issues responsible for the relative differences in the American and European metal scenes which others have alluded to....

Well one of the reasons I think is sweden's very ambitious welfare system, we have extremly high taxes but in return we have a very developed welfare system which supports everyone to some extent. You can chose to be a junkie and get payed (from the state) for it, or you can chose to be an artist and get support from the government as well if you are in grave need of money. My point is; You have no liabilities, no one is forcing you to create a family, working from 07:00 to 16:00, come home, have dinner prepared by your beautiful wife, go to bed, have sex, raise up 06:00, rinse and repeat. As long as you contribute to the society (taxes) and follow the laws you are basically free to do what you want, and get help from the government doing it.

Maybe its because they started the "scene" where as americans (and others) simply follow. two steps behind of course.

thats my opinion.

(edit)
(just incase this post seems random and spam-ish.)
sorry i replied to the actual question, not other posts.

"You mentioned Canada. Since I'm into death metal as well as prog and jazz and everything else, I would say Canada isn't all too bad! You mentioned Rush and Devin Townsend. What about Cryptopsy? They're extremely skilled musicians - technical MASTERS. I mean MASTERs. Just as Clapton used to be considered a master guitarist, I believe Cryptopsy are currently at the top tier of "master" deathmetal/grind ladder. "

I'm from Quebec, Canada (province where Cryptopsy comes from), and I have to say that there are many, many talent in my region. Unfortunately, many of them are just not able to cross the boundaries. I'm thinking about bands like uneXpect and Martyr, mostly. The only big metal band that could represent us is Kataklysm, but they just sound like typical American Death Metal, which in my opinion, means nothing good. But I think the region has a lot of influence with the quality. Could it be about elders? I mean, older bands from a X region will generate fans that want to be somehow like them. Maybe scandinavians had good figures to learn from. To take again Quebec as example, because it's one of the region I know I can talk about without any doubt, I'd say people are very creative here. We have a particular type of art that is well represented in the metal scene. I believe we are a... depressed nation. The suicide rate is very high over here. There's a particular folklore due to our history and our imagination is just different. It has to be the same for every culture. After all we're all conditionned.

EDIT : I forgot to mention Voivod (our elders)! Oh and I wanted to had that a lot of bands had influence from huge bands, like Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath. I always thought Opeth's first two album, mostly the song Black Rose Immortal, had Iron Maiden-like riffs.

EDIT(2) : I just saw someone wrote about Winter and coldness. He's totally right. Mother Nature brings feeling with seasons. Every Opeth fans should be able to understand, since Opeth are refering to season very much. And I agree with the other guy who talked about America and money.