Hours Of Wealth

billydheyhey

Nov 8, 2008
Quincy, MA
This is coming from a "novice" to the Opeth forum, but I feel I'd start a thread in query of Hours Of Wealth. I feel the song is one of Opeth's most underrated, and is incredibly beautiful. The riff that starts at 1:03 is awesome, how it transforms to sync with keys being played in the same rhythm. The vocals are awesome, and the solo is one of my favorites.

Beneath the Mire sounds incredible on my car stereo with the thunderous bass drum.

And I agree that Hours of Wealth is awesome, Mikael's voice is beautiful on the track.

I agree with Hours of Wealth being underrated, but in comparison, Beneath the Mire is SEVERELY underrated. I think its one of the best Opeth songs there is. I asked Mike when I saw them in Worcester if he/they are ever planning on pulling that one off live. He responded by saying "It's certainly not impossible". I would MUCH rather see that one live than Harlequin Forest, which he said they were rehearsing in a recent blog he wrote. The intro of the song is just crushing and the fusion solo is a milestone Opeth moment.

I agree that Hours of Wealth is an underrated song. I love it. It was the first Opeth song that I learned to play on guitar. I'm not a very good guitarist, I mean I really suck at playing it. But I can now play Deliverance, Patterns in the Ivy, Coil and The Grand Conjuration, even though it is probably my least favorite Opeth song, but honestly I think that it is really easy to play.

Although not an original, I think Mikael's vocals on Bridge of Sighs may also be underrated. What the hell, I think his voice is underrated in general.

I tried to get my father to enjoy Mike's singing on Hours of Wealth and he didn't seem impressed. Maybe I should stop speaking to him.

This is coming from a "novice" to the Opeth forum, but I feel I'd start a thread in query of Hours Of Wealth. I feel the song is one of Opeth's most underrated, and is incredibly beautiful. The riff that starts at 1:03 is awesome, how it transforms to sync with keys being played in the same rhythm. The vocals are awesome, and the solo is one of my favorites.

i would agree :), i also love the solo, it is so sad, almost lazy too, like he can barely play through his sorrow

Nothing beats Epilogue in terms of a mellow song.

Epilogue is one of the most unbelievable things Opeth have ever done, and its completely overlooked. Not so much by the fans, but by the band mostly. Imagine a really nice long blues jam on Epilogue to open up a show. Or at any point in the show for that matter. Its such a shame that is been completely put away since being recorded.

^ Fuck !! You trusted me to one of the best times in my life with that post man !!! thank you for remind me those shits :rofl:
And when the album was released, I was listening to Hours Of Wealth each evening after school !!!!! fucking awesome times god damn it :D

The riff that starts at 1:03 is awesome, how it transforms to sync with keys being played in the same rhythm. The vocals are awesome, and the solo is one of my favorites.

Right on brother. This is one of the most emotive pieces of "rock" music I've ever heard. I concur completely - at about the 1:00 mark when the acoustic riff leads into the keys...goddamn, just breathtaking stuff! :worship:

I think the track in question is the reason why you can see how great a Mikael solo album would be.