How big is your music collection?

about 140 cds ... i dont count the mp3, cant tell how many ... i dont think it will grow mutch from now on ... from those 140 like 1/3 of them i havent heard attentiously yet ... i dont have the time ... from now on im only gonna buy cds that i think are top top top quality ...

I have about 380 CDs (this counts double albums as one CD as well)...probably my most valuable stuff is my Japanese Mint copy of Atheist's Unquestionable Presence and my first issue copy of Anglagard's Hybris.

Also, I have about 80 mp3 CDs, so let's say 10 albums fit on one (which is fairly reasonable - they range from 128-192 KBPS)...that's about 800 albums on mp3. Keep in mind I started collecting mp3s WAY before P2P/Napster though (when you had to mooch/trade for everything on ftps).

I've got about 450 CDs. Some rare stuff I own are three copies of Ulver's Silencing the Singing ep and a copy of Dream Theater's last live album with the original artwork that was immediately taken out because of the terrorist stuff. I've never opened it; I really need to buy another copy so I can listen to it! I've got two copies of Candiria's first impossible to find album, one of them I got the entire band to sign. I sell a lot of the old stuff I listened to when I was a dumb teenager. :p

About 370 CD's and 1 7" /forum/images/smilies/supergrin.gif

The 7" is the uber-rare In the Woods...- 'Epitaph'

I don't have any mp3's or CDr's. They don't count.

I'd like to list my Opeth collection:

Orchid European Original
Orchid Re-release /w bonus
Orchid European re-release
Orchid Double LP
Morningrise European Original
Morningrise Re-release /w bonus
Morningrise Double LP
MAYH European Original
MAYH Re-release /w bonus
MAYH Double LP
MAYH Promo Disc
Still Life Original
Still Life Digi Pack
Still Life Double LP
Blackwater Park Original
Blackwater Park Double CD
Blackwater Park Double LP
Deliverance Digi Pack
Still day / Patterns in the ivy II 7" - Black
Still day / Patterns in the ivy II 7" - Grey
Still day / Patterns in the ivy II 7" - Test Press

There are a few things left, like the Still Life slipcase and Original jewel case edition of Deliverance and there will be a lot of ordering when Damnation comes out!

Kaberonie said:
whats the diff between LPs and CDs and 7''? educate me.
CD = compact disc, any type (jewel case, digipak, cardboard sleeve promo - any disc that can be played in a cd player, including mini CDs and shaped CDs)

LP = 'Long Player' or 'Long Playing' record, i.e. 12" vinyl

7" = you guessed it ... 7" vinyl

The number refers to the diameter of the disc. So in that case, I guess you could say CDs could be referred to as 5"s. In fact, sometimes CD singles are called CD5s.

Different vinyl discs spin at different speeds on the turntable, depending on how the record was pressed. This is called the RPM, or rotations per minute. The speed of 7" and 12" vinyl records vary between 33 1/3 rpm, 45 rpm, and 78 rpm. 33 1/3 is the most widely used on LP, 45 is normally reserved for 7" singles, and 78 is virtually unused nowadays.

Hope that clears a little of the mystery up.

Well it would seem that my CD collection has increased about 80 CD's since I last posted in this thread which was in July 2001. I have about 200 CD's now...