How did you discover Nightwish?

Speaking of Headbanger's Ball, I was watching it last night and saw a commercial for DPP on there. So it's good to see Nightwish getting promotion as a metal band, anyway.

I watched it last night too out of morbid curiousity (it's good to be up to date on the things you talk poop about). Yeah i was surprised to see that commercial too (course about the only other good thing on it was the WT video for Howling). Anyway, so yeah at least they are still promoting DPP.

Yeah, I like that over at the Nightwish forum. It's amazing how many people turn out to be opposite of what you thought them to be.

For some reason, many people think I'm a guy, so they were surprised a lot to see a female symbol next to my name.

*Gasp* You're not a guy?! Wow, you are friends with someone for 3 years and you think you know them and then they drop a bomb on you like this.. oh what a world! /tease hehe

But seriously, i guess it would avoid those little errors, but it never really bothers me. I mean i can usually tell what gender people are just from their typing style (hey, i've spent more time socializing online than offline over the course of the last ~20 years of my life.. you just pick up these things, but even if i couldn't, any social gathering, even online, turns into enough of a pick up scene on it's own without pouring fuel onto the fire. :p) If my online experience has taught me anything, it's that when you give someone a tag of some sort that says "female", you may as well be painting a target on their backsides :p

Anyway, to move things back on topic a bit, one has to wonder how many people will be able to say that seeing Nightwish on this upcoming tour was either their introduction, or what helped solidify them as a fan.

For that matter, in 2004, the OSA did a great job at bringing in new members via that Nightwish tour. If nothing else, handing out cards with the address on them was a great idea (and you know what is scary? i still have the one Zelda gave me). That is what got me on board the OSA. Although i had been into Nightwish since virtually the beginning (and i had even stopped at the OSA frontpage once, but didn't go to the forum), the mix of the concert and meeting/talking with fellow Nightwish fans made me want to pop over to the forum and discuss it all.. the rest is history. I'm sure this time we could get the word out to a newer breed of fan who might not have been there last time. Those who just might be as crazy.. err i mean as stalwart as many of those who came on board in 2004. :]

hi all, im also new here :)

ive been a nightwish fan for almost three years now i think. i was introduced to nightwish's oceanborn by my soon to be best friend, and i really got a kick out of it. i thought the operatic lines were so beautiful, and the metal underneath was the coolest thing. i found a few tracks off of century child on my own, most notably phantom of the opera which they did a phenomenal version of... and then i bought once for myself.

loved.
it.

actually, it took me a little while to get used to it. i at first didn't like the move away from the opera-ish style, but now i love almost every song. and the one's i didn't immediately fall for, i grew to adore. it's one of my all time favorite cds.

nightwish is such an inspiration.

*sigh*

:)

This seems a good a thread as any to start with. I found Nightwish through a brother in my coed fraternity, and he'd found it through an earlier sister. This was back in early to mid 2005, so this is the first real new album I've been watching them for.

Welcome Skippy. When you say that Nightwish is an inspiration, i couldn't agree more. :] It just goes to prove that you can make your own kind of music, however unusual, and thrive.

Welcome Ekiri. Wow You heard about Nightwish through a fraternity? I think that's a first in my experience. Cool. :]

I first heard NW in either 2003 or 2004, checking out some free samples on the Century Media site. I got "End of all Hope" which I played for a while. It would work like this - I'd download a song, listen to it for a few weeks. Few months later, I'd feel like getting some more, get a song, etc. Eventually I had a bunch of their stuff on my comp but never really got into them.

When the anticipation for the new singer announcement and eva single release started building, I sped up my downloading and grabbed a bunch of their stuff, starting to really like it this time. Eva came out, more anticipation, for the new album. I found out a friend is into them and has been for a long time, so she sends me a bunch of stuff. I start getting really hooked. The amaranth single came out, and i was *really* hooked on that song. Led into an even faster-growing collection (involved buying not downloading this time!) and I got pretty crazy. I bought tickets for the NYC show and DPP, and that just boosted the fandom to new levels.

And then a random scroll-through between the Bloodbath and Opeth forums led me here.

Got into Nightwish when Greykiller brought a few of their CDs back from ProgPowerIV and I was hooked.

The concert last night with anette though.. OMG.... she's SOO much better than Tarja.

Got into Nightwish when Greykiller brought a few of their CDs back from ProgPowerIV and I was hooked.

The concert last night with anette though.. OMG.... she's SOO much better than Tarja.

Excellent! It's good to see them going strong even this close to the end of this leg of the tour. This was the Ft. Lauderdale concert at the Culture Room, yes? I don't think anyone has written a review of the evening. If you enjoy that kind of thing, feel free to start up a topic for that night :]

I think, it won't be bad to bump this topic, will it? ;-)))

I heard NW somwhere in 2000, when came to one of my friends in search for some new heavy music. He recommended me to check out a new band with a tempting name "NightWish" and turned his 500w stereo on, and then... The very first chords of "Se Is My Sin" really made me completely mad! The power of sound and high technique level seized me and Tarja's marvellous voice blew up my mind! The only thing I could say when the track was over was "Whoa! Man that sounds fucking cool! Rewind the tape - I want to hear it again! More of it!!!"
Later that evening I went to a music store bought a "Whishmaster" tape and listened to it all night long. From that time I got into NW as one of the best metal bands ever!