How do bands get blackmarked?

opeth fans dont compare to Dream Theater fans. Dream Theater has the most arrogant pretentious fans ever. Im glad Im bigger than most of them, so I intimidate them in person, but online, forget it, they wont listen to a bit of criticism or sarcasm, christ what fucks.

General Zod said:
I don't mean to knock Angela's looks, but she's hardly a pin-up girl.
I'd hasten to disagree ;) I'd say she's quite damn fit, and my two mates with her pinned up by their beds would agree also!

Ayeka said:
I'd hasten to disagree ;) I'd say she's quite damn fit, and my two mates with her pinned up by their beds would agree also!
Don't get me wrong, I'd hardly kick her out of bed. I'm just pointing out that it's not as if she's Brittney Spears.

Zod

In all seriousness, she's not marketed to be a whore like Britney. Is that more what you meant?

I'd like to see Angela Gossow and Avril Lavigne do a duet of Ravenous :mad: Avril doing gutteral deathvomits...wow!

Ayeka said:
In all seriousness, she's not marketed to be a whore like Britney. Is that more what you meant?
Not exactly (though you're right). What I was getting at was, if you read some of the Angela-related Arch Enemy bashing that goes on, you would think that she looks like Brittey or Paris. So my point was, it's not as if she's a supermodel. She's just a nice looking woman, who can belt it out. The fact that she's become the face of the band, only makes sense. It would be silly not to take advantage of her presence.

Zod

General Zod said:
The fact that she's become the face of the band, only makes sense. It would be silly not to take advantage of her presence.

Zod
THis is the main problem I have with the band. Shit man, they've got Mik fucking AMott from Carcass, Spiritual Beggars and countless other bands; they've got Chris Amoot from the awesome (for one album) Armageddon; they've got Sharlee D'Angelo from Witchery, Mercyful Fate and Dismember; they've got Daniel Erlandsson from Eucharist and Armageddon; and then to top it off they have a female singer from.....Devil in the Details???? And this is how they want to be known???? As "that band with the female growler"? And just so a few more pimply faced virgins will buy their records. Fuck AE.

J. said:
THis is the main problem I have with the band. Shit man, they've got Mik fucking AMott from Carcass, Spiritual Beggars and countless other bands; they've got Chris Amoot from the awesome (for one album) Armageddon; they've got Sharlee D'Angelo from Witchery, Mercyful Fate and Dismember; they've got Daniel Erlandsson from Eucharist and Armageddon; and then to top it off they have a female singer from.....Devil in the Details???? And this is how they want to be known???? As "that band with the female growler"? And just so a few more pimply faced virgins will buy their records. Fuck AE.
A very fair point. However, you have to take into account, when someone hears your song, sees your band perfrom live, or sees you do an interview, you can't expect that their going to run to your web site and read your bio. And even if they did, 99.9999% of the planet has no idea who Carcass, Spiritual Beggars, Armageddon, Witchery, Eucharist and Dismember are. The fact that the guys in the band have the pedigree that they do means nothing to the people who market the band. As a musician, you want people to remember you when they see you/hear you. If Angela makes that happens, than bonus points for her.

I'd also say to those who slag Angela, she's done nothing to commercialize the sound of the band. Her vocals are pure Death. If you have a problem with the musical direction of the band, lay the blame where it belongs, at the feet of the folks who right the music.

Zod

General Zod said:
A very fair point. However, you have to take into account, when someone hears your song, sees your band perfrom live, or sees you do an interview, you can't expect that their going to run to your web site and read your bio. And even if they did, 99.9999% of the planet has no idea who Carcass, Spiritual Beggars, Armageddon, Witchery, Eucharist and Dismember are. The fact that the guys in the band have the pedigree that they do means nothing to the people who market the band. As a musician, you want people to remember you when they see you/hear you. If Angela makes that happens, than bonus points for her.

I'd also say to those who slag Angela, she's done nothing to commercialize the sound of the band. Her vocals are pure Death. If you have a problem with the musical direction of the band, lay the blame where it belongs, at the feet of the folks who right the music.

Zod
This is all true. But I wonder if people are remembering the band for the right reasons. WOuld you rather some guy remember your band because of your stellar musicianship or because you have a female vocalist?

And I agree that Angela has done nothing musically to commercialize the band. However, and I say this for the 100th time, the guys in the band seem to have no problem letting her do photoshoots wearing next to nothing.

If people have a problem with fans yelling sellout to AE, then maybe AE should stop capitalizing on Angela's gender.

J. said:
This is all true. But I wonder if people are remembering the band for the right reasons. WOuld you rather some guy remember your band because of your stellar musicianship or because you have a female vocalist?
I think there are two types of fans out there. I don't think you or I are going to be sold based on the appearance of a band, but other people may. Why not get both of those people to buy your records, if possible?

J. said:
And I agree that Angela has done nothing musically to commercialize the band. However, and I say this for the 100th time, the guys in the band seem to have no problem letting her do photoshoots wearing next to nothing.
I think this is a bit unfair. She dresses like most woman dress; to look sexy. I see nothing wrong with her putting forth the image she does,or the band capitalizing on it.

J. said:
If people have a problem with fans yelling sellout to AE, then maybe AE should stop capitalizing on Angela's gender.
I don't see AE capitalizing on her gender as relating to selling out. Selling out is all about the music, Angela's appearance has nothing to do with the music.

Zod

Doomcifer said:
The biggest undeserved blackmarked band by the underground community is Tool imho. Hopefully NAD agrees with me here.
A lot of people dismiss them without hearing them, yes. Their loss. :)

Threads like this piss me off because people are so insistent that bands follow the individual's exact wishes for the artistic direction of every band possible, regardless of how long the person has been a fan or how much they know personally about the band. Also some people never give bands any leeway when it comes to artistic evolution. How much have your musical tastes and preferences changed over the years, and why are metal bands not given any slack with regards to change, unless of course it falls into the individual fan's set of ideals for said band?

Case in point, kids that got in Metallica in 1993 and then bitched and moaned when Load came out. Do I even need to point out the idiocy?

I dont think Metallica provdes the most apt analogy for your point- i wouldnt call Load or Reload a musical direction, other than down to the depths of bands who dont care about music anymore.

While I'm just as annoyed by people who are quick to throw accusations of sellout at the slightest change of direction, I also think it's natural to be disappointed when talented musicians put out mediocre product, which is the root cause for most of the examples mentioned in this thread.