How do rate own vocals? ;)

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hay Guys :kickass:

I don´t know, if I did a good job on the vocals and I have no feeling about how I should mix my own vocals :zombie: Maybe you can give me some advice about what I can do, to let it sound tip top. I dunno...I never used autotune and shit, maybe it´s time to use it. I have no self-confidence about my vocals :erk: Don´t know why.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2414899/Machines%26Madness3_FelixNeumann_Vocals.mp3

This is just the first few minutes of the song, but it shows the direction where it´ll go. Opinions about songwriting/production is welcome, too.

Dude,
Those vox are pretty legit. A little tuning, and they would sound awesome. I really like the tone of your voice. I would personally mix them, ever so slightly, lower.

it's really not that bad, tuning wise, it just needs a little "dressing up" and it'll sound great.

the vocals are a bit buried in the mix, could be a bit thicker and could use a bit of saturation on the more agressive parts to make them pop out a bit. the intonation suffers a bit on the parts with the vibrato in my opinion. The vibrato part is fine, but the returns are slightly off.

Felix I think you sound a bit like Bruce Dickinson!! Slight tuning issues here and there but the same that most singers have singing live anyways! Great pipes!
Mix wise..thicken up the vocals a bit and its sitting too far back.

I did notice the tuning issues, but someone else had mentioned...didn't want to beat that horse. I think touch up would probably be enough.

Does anyone else hear a bit too much hiss/ess on some of the vox, or is it my shitty speakers?

Thank you very much, to ALL!! I feel a bit better now :) You brought the issues to the point very good.

Any comments about the song itself? After this part a nice solo battle begins with some top-class players (I cannot say names yet). I´m excited about it and quite possessed of getting the best result as possible with the vocals. That´s why I´m so fucking strictly with it.

As everyone stated, all it needs is a little bit of "dressing up" on the vocals to make them sit better and have a constant volume over all the track ( it seemed lower in volume on the first verse)

The guitar tone needs a little bit more gain for my liking, but the song sounds really nice ;)

As everyone stated, all it needs is a little bit of "dressing up" on the vocals to make them sit better and have a constant volume over all the track ( it seemed lower in volume on the first verse)

The guitar tone needs a little bit more gain for my liking, but the song sounds really nice ;)

Thanks Joseba! :kickass:

I will do another recording/mixing session tonight. I´ll sing the verses again, the pre chorus and chorus is okay although it needs a bit tuning yet.

And to be OT..your avatar is pretty funny :lol:

Yeah Felix,

I like your vocals. You've got a cool voice.
Most things have been said already: A thicker, bigger sound of the vox in the mix would help a lot. IMHO you mixed your voice too much how you are used to hearing it through your head. Take out the boxiness and bring out some more the upper mids. Then it would be much cooler me thinks.

Shogger

IMHO you mixed your voice too much how you are used to hearing it through your head

You´re damn right dude. Maybe I start a vocal mixing competition after I re-recorded some of the vocs. I believe, a lot people here would do it better than me in this case :)

They are good, but not perfect haha, and as I guess you want them to be pefect.
Miwise it isn't important how it sounds now, as you'll reamp those guitars....

It´s not bad at all. I like it but as others said, the voice sounds thin. Use a saturator or make a boost between 150/250hz.