How do you break in a new record?

Johan

Opeth, ergo sum.
May 22, 2001
Sweden
Do you have a favourite way of listening to a new record? For instance pop it into your cd walkman/car stereo on the way home from the cd store, wait till you get home and lie down on bed with the booklet and lyrics to listen carefully, or just play it in the background while going on with your usual stuff at home.

I use it as a coaster for several weeks, then use it as a frisbee for my dogs for another 5 days. Then I use it as a tanning mirror and a yard spade. Then if it still plays, it's worth keeping, regardless of musical content.

You do that with all albums, Kush?

Sadistik, you must not have many working records in your collection.

Cool

Well personally I try to do the same with the ones I'm really psyched about (Deliverance for sure), but otherwise I just listen normally.

Depends on the band. I literally "study" some albums like Death, Opeth, Theory In Practise etc. Listen to them really carefully like its a course i take.

The others, lay on bed with booklet...

I leave the CD store, put it in my discman, and walk really slow through town casually listening. Then go home and listen to it while I use the computer. Then listen to it in bed. Then next day listen to it when I'm on the bus going to course. Then I listen to it during my mid day break. Then I listen more and more until my ears go numb from all the listening.

I listen to my new CDs.

I almost never blindly buy albums, so most of the time if I buy something, I already like it.

The times I just buy something based solely on recommendations or something like that, I usually listen to it while doing other things for a while (on the computer, at school, in the car, etc) rather than just sitting down and concentrating on the music. I like to hear things a few times before diving right in I guess.

Originally posted by Johan
Cool

Well personally I try to do the same with the ones I'm really psyched about (Deliverance for sure)

Only with Deliverence YOU would have a box of Kleenex/tissue within easy reach.

- sorry man couldn't help it

:D

:cool:

i usually listen to new cds at night, turn off the lights, light some candles and insence, lay in bed, and listen to the cd while either flipping through the booklet, or closing my eyes.