How do you make riffs?

frankfrank

Sep 1, 2004
Netherlands
Just wondering.

I always start by turning the metronome on at 60bpm or 80bpm. (very slow)
Then I drum some rythm I like on my leg, and when I like it put it on the guitar. After that I try some things like powerchords and notes.
I do not go away from the rythm, I try different things in it.
It always sounds like trashy-metal.
I like that, but I want to be able to do different riffs aswell.
Do you have any suggestions?

Wow that song annoys me...

Personally I just grab a scale I'm hearing at the moment and play. Everything else comes later.

Hmmmm.... wouldn't you have to pick a key beforehand....??? otherwise Everything would be in 'C' ....

I suppose you could write everything in C and than transpose it later....

When it comes 2 riffs I jus' play them out and try and make musical sense of them later... At least that's tha method that I find most effective....

While I don't like to generalize, I would say as often as not, songs written today start out with riffs. Mick Mars is a pretty poor solo player, but his riffs MADE Motley Crue. He was a genious in his own way. Hetfield was (at one time) as well. If we all could write riffs like they did, making great songs and getting famous would be a lot easier for us.
I have written some good ones I suppose and have also struggled at times as well. Usually I just "play" and if I accidentally find something cool, I have a way to record what I wrote. I also start simple and add to it once I come have the basic structure. I even write on my acoustic as much as my electric. The limitations of the acoustic "dumb you down" in a way (due to no effects or much in the way of difficult technique) that you really need to find notes and chords that really sound good together.

Bryant

I just play until I stumble on something good too. The problem is most of the stuff I stumble on is far too similar to things already done. I made up a riff once, listened to Bathory the next day... and realized I ripped Quorthon off. I thought I found something worth while for once, hehe.

Thraxz said:
I just play until I stumble on something good too. The problem is most of the stuff I stumble on is far too similar to things already done. I made up a riff once, listened to Bathory the next day... and realized I ripped Quorthon off. I thought I found something worth while for once, hehe.

Ha ha ha any guitarist on this earth that hasn't done that bunches of times is one hell of a liar. I hate when that shit happens !!!

Bryant

Mullet Power said:
Hmmmm.... wouldn't you have to pick a key beforehand....??? otherwise Everything would be in 'C' ....

I suppose you could write everything in C and than transpose it later....

Actually...I establish the key after I come up with a riff. You wouldn't be in the key of C major if you use sharps and flats. Not knowing what key you're playing in doesn't mean that you're playing in C major automatically, it just means that (simply) you don't know what key you're playing in, which you can figure out after you come up with something. The only thing I really think about when I start playing is that I want to play in a minor key, it's kind of the default for me. After I get started, I think of intervals, chord progressions, crap like that. I never know what key I'm playing in, I just kinda let it flow, and then figure everything out later on.

I dunno... lots of roots and fifths, I guess. hahaha. Riffs are easy for me. Songs are another story. Riffs are the last thing I ever had to songs because I find them the easiest part of songwriting. Just start with the chords you're playing and then start splitting them up into pieces. Anything can be a riff.

I have 2 different methods of riff writing:
-1. I just jam. I start playing random riffs. I'll just be playing something random, and i'll just stumble upon something that i like. Then, i have this peogram on my computer called "TabIt" (A MIDI program that you can type in guitar riffs in different tunings or effects, and it will play it for you) and i can refer to the file in case i forget how to play it.
-2. In school, i'll just be spacing out, with a song such as Inferno (Unleash the Fire) stuck in my head and i'll get an idea for a riff. I'll remember it for when I get home, and then i try it out on my guitar.

bball_1523 said:
do you guys have any riffs that you created tabbed out? I think I'm gonna make a thread about it.
That is a REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD idea. People can cop your riffs and you won't even know it, so that wouldn't be in your best interest.

Katalepsy said:
Actually...I establish the key after I come up with a riff. You wouldn't be in the key of C major if you use sharps and flats. Not knowing what key you're playing in doesn't mean that you're playing in C major automatically, it just means that (simply) you don't know what key you're playing in, which you can figure out after you come up with something. The only thing I really think about when I start playing is that I want to play in a minor key, it's kind of the default for me. After I get started, I think of intervals, chord progressions, crap like that. I never know what key I'm playing in, I just kinda let it flow, and then figure everything out later on.
I was refering to this guys post....

I didn't quote it right.....

An interesting method is to sit down and write a few notes blindly (without thought as to what note you're writing) on a staff without guitar in hand. Then play it and see where it leads you.