How do you listen to katatonia?

Drynwhyl said:
it's just a remembrance i thought i could share..
maybe someone here with a similar experience?

I once listened to Viva Emptiness while driving through HEAVY fog. I mean you couldn't see in front of you at ALL let alone so many feet or so ahead...
I felt as if I was going to drive through the fog and off a cliff or into a tree or something at any moment and I'm sure the music wasn't helping at all, but I still kept listening cause it just seemed to be the perfect fit for the situation.
Thanks for sharing Dryn :cool:

midgetwar said:
but I still kept listening cause it just seemed to be the perfect fit for the situation.

yeah, this feeling is haunting you like, it's almost impossible to break through the unreal surroundings at that moment, the unwillingness is there permanently.. o_O

This is a feeling i have too......ok its kinda strange......but i always have moments where my life, or something iam being part of, fits like a videoclip to the music iam listening to. :)

The experience,called 'Katatonia' is very personal ,and therefore it's impossible for me to listen to the music all the time,i can't imagine that it's possible to listen to such music at class..i preffer to have a special circumstances by listening to Katatonia like rainy days,gloom and free time,but to my regret i just haven't this possibilities as often as i wish,and therefore i'm listening to Katatonia during the minutes,when i have not to be fully concentrated for the rest of the world..i like to listen to the music while i'm walking,in the bus and so on..but i can't imagine that i will ever listen to this music while near to me are people,that i know,the mute flock is not so dangerous and suspicious,but for the people that bear a really deep relation to me this will be always a closen door of my inner world.I remember once that my partner wanted to listen to "Discouraged Ones" ,while i was there..and my only way for salvation was to hide myself under the blanket..this music is just like infection..like a disease and truth that must be hidden for the others..

i prefer listening katatonia at evening somenight until dawn because begining to the new day with katatonia ruins my day so i prefer not to listen at morning but that does not mean that i am not listening kata at morning i like to ruin my day,lose my morale and doing nothing but depressing all day cause i am a bollock,idiot,retard and a sucker
and i am begining to be an elitist

I think Katatonia are one of those bands that requires a specific setting to achieve maximium impact. It's important for me to have the appropriate atmosphere for allowing the music to penetrate my soul unhindered. I find it useless to listen to this band with other people around. I require no other voices or surrounding activity during a Katatonia listening session. I also feel their music most deeply during early morning hours, late evenings or late nights. Each album has a unique atmosphere that requires a certain setting for me. For instance, Brave Murder Day is rainy afternoon music, while Tonight's Decision is late night/early morning (3 or 4 am) listening, when everyone else is asleep. I should mention that the last two albums, Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness are well recieved while driving alone late at night when traffic is at a minimum. Something about the empty nighttime streets and desolation of the parking lots sets a strong backdrop for that music.

Epistel said:
The experience,called 'Katatonia' is very personal ,and therefore it's impossible for me to listen to the music all the time,i can't imagine that it's possible to listen to such music at class..i preffer to have a special circumstances by listening to Katatonia like rainy days,gloom and free time,but to my regret i just haven't this possibilities as often as i wish,and therefore i'm listening to Katatonia during the minutes,when i have not to be fully concentrated for the rest of the world..i like to listen to the music while i'm walking,in the bus and so on..but i can't imagine that i will ever listen to this music while near to me are people,that i know,the mute flock is not so dangerous and suspicious,but for the people that bear a really deep relation to me this will be always a closen door of my inner world.I remember once that my partner wanted to listen to "Discouraged Ones" ,while i was there..and my only way for salvation was to hide myself under the blanket..this music is just like infection..like a disease and truth that must be hidden for the others..

Nice ;)

thebleakhorizon, ah... Pretty much like me. That's good, and that's the point with katatonia! Allthough the cool guys havn't realized that yet. haha, suckers :p

It is really pleasant listening to katatonia while walking through dark and old alleys, like in "Gamla Stan" (means; The Old Town and was built in the medieval times), especially when it rains. Walking in the rain listening to katatonia is nice in general.

I think certain albums fits good to certain places. In nature I prefer Dance of December Souls and Brave Murder Day.
In cities and subways Viva Emptiness fits really good :)
In sunshine(actually, haha) last fair deal is the best, I feel great turning on with the first song dispossesion! :D

Ofcourse it's hard to put all the albums in certain situations / places, but some of them at least, in my opinion...
What do you think?

Dispossession is a great "kick" indeed, a blowing away opener.. could drive me to kick around the garbage cans going out of the house early in the morning.
no, seriosly.. i also think some Katatonia albums could fit a given time and a given place better than others. i see the things pretty much the same as Varg has told above.
i like to take a walk through some abondoned and silent guarters here while listening to Last Fair.. it's not obligatory or something but i do it over and over again without thinking why, for what reason and so on..

I'll have to agree with cerulean as well. first of all, accept that different kinds of people listen to same kind of music. Neither Katatonia or other bands are for depressed or sad people only. And accept that people have different preferences on how to get in touch and get touched by music, i.e. katatonia. Ok, so some of you needs candles, darkness whatever to fully concentrate on the music, while the rest of us doesn't need that to create certain atmospheres to enjoy and experience the emotions Katatonia gives us. -Katatonia will, in my case, create those atmospheres for me! Whether I'm on the bus, at school, at work etc., listening to Katatonia in my headphones will always get me in a particular 'mood'. (Of course, major distraction would make this more difficult.) I must admit I too sometimes like to turn off the lights, shut the world around me and stop the time and put on music like Katatonia, and this calms me, but that's more about the particular feeling of a quiet dark place than about that particular music. The music is an extra, a bonus. No matter which setting I'm in, I will always be able to concentrate fully on music I love, and don't f***ing tell me this music isn't meant for 'us'! Be more open-minded and accept the fact that you are not alone in this world of having the need to listen to Katatonia to get "estethical satisfaction"...!

Varg- said:
nah, man.... only if you walk on the tourist-streets... and they're definatly not there when it's raining anyway :)

Practically only the main street (with the wonderful sci-fi & fantasy literature shop) was packed and no other street had much traffic when our class was there (of course we were more like tourists than anyone else). The gamla stan is really beautiful, great architecture.