Do you ever get the feeling...

Thorns of Sorrow

My pic is squished
Apr 18, 2002
New York City
Visit site
Do you ever get the feeling when you listen to Katatonia, that like, time stands still. I dunno, whenever I listen to them, I feel like time is satnding still, and I am in this suspended state of development...weird..anyone have similar feelings while listening to katatonia?

Like your almost....Katatonic? :p.

When I'm really depressed and I listen to Kat i get a feeling that everything is lagging, maybe just do my depression lags on as well. So, yeah, I do know what you are talking about.

when i listen to Katatonia, no one can hurt me, but katatonia.

hey, MacMoney...you're from Turku, Finland right? Did you saw Katatonia 2/6 last year at the place called Säätämö??

I have this feeling with many kind of bands and speaking of Katatonia,yes. Also when i listen to Anathema i have the feeling that time does not exist,it somehow flows. It's a positive feeling.
When listening to Discouraged ones i am kind of gone,not really there. There is an atmosphere,a vast atmosphere i still can't describe. I think the undescribable depressive mood in which i am when listening to DO has something to do with thinking that time is not present, with the fact that it is standing still,i don't know.
It's only existing when i listen to this Katatonia album. BTW,a similar feeling is there when i listen to Anathema's Judgement,but with NO other album.
When i listen to Tonight's decision for example there is another atmosphere.
Still depressive but I am more present, and so time is.
What i want to say is, that it mostly depends on the mood in which I am. When i can't let myself go because of problems and so on then listening to Katatonia is never the same as when i can really flow with the music.
BTW,Ulver's Perdition city,Silencing the singing and Silence teaches you how to sing really make time stand still.

I only get that feeling when I listen to "Brave Murder Day".

I've also had an out of body experience while listening to Morgion's "Solinari" album. I hella freaked out when it happened. I was outside, laying under the stars at night, then it just HAPPENED and I don't know how I did it.

Originally posted by Frith

hey, MacMoney...you're from Turku, Finland right? Did you saw Katatonia 2/6 last year at the place called Säätämö??

I did, although I had to travel throughout Finland with my friend... The gig was a killer, a true fulfillment of my dreams... And I got even a chance to talk with a drummer after the gig, unfortunately I was so drunk at that moment, that I can't remember about anything...
But the show was great (and very Metal!), beer was cheap and even Turku wasn't a disappoitment either... ;)

I get that a lot, with bands like Katatonia, At the Gates, Maudlin of the Well, etc… I get a very strong connection with music. When it rains I like to walk home, instead of catching the bus, so I usually come singing along the way, people pass but its like im the only one there.
Moments ago it was raining heavily with thunders and all. I got that feeling again while listening to Alice In Chain’s Down in a Hole, its like im in a Video Clip…:D

Definition for catatonic provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

NOUN
An abnormal condition variously characterized by stupor, stereotypy, mania, and either rigidity or extreme flexibility of the limbs. It is most often associated with schizophrenia.

ETYMOLOGY
New Latin, from German Katatonie, from Greek katatonos, stretching tight, from katateinein, to stretch tight, kata-, intensive pref., See CATA-. + teinein, to stretch. See ten-.

:confused: i dont feel like that. :lol:

p.s. katatonia or katatonic wasnt in the dictionary this is the closest definition.

Moments ago it was raining heavily with thunders and all. I got that feeling again while listening to Alice In Chain?s Down in a Hole, its like im in a Video Clip?

That makes me think of a song by David Bowie where he sings "It was cold and it rained and I felt like an actor". I think it's on "Ziggy Stardust" or from the album before that.

I get the feeling of time standing still in me while I observe time happening in the world around me, sometimes, other times I just lie in my room and feel as if it is the only entity and space within the universe surrounded by a void...

most music that is like katatonia i always feel the need for the music to speed up cause its boaring but katatonia is great i guess it does make time stop, i have only listen to katatonia for a few months, where i live i cant find their cd any were:( i plan on getting on soon though.

As far I can remember, nearly all Katatonia albums I got it was winter (strange...). If you listen to the music und outside, the cold,"dead" atmosphere that surrounds you...

Or just look at the cover/booklet from "Tonight's Decision" - this blue, dark and somehow foggy surrounding atmosphere perfectly fits the music of this album and Katatonia's music at all.

Like you said, time stands still and all what's left is Katatonia's music...