what would you do if...

elric

crunchy frog
Oct 16, 2001
u.s.a.
okay, lets just say next katatonia cd comes out, and radio/mtv grabs it and blows it up, just it gets *huge*. what would you do/think? i mean, personally, i'd feel really good for the band, i'm sure they could use the money... but at the same time, i don't want a bunch of teeny-boppers listening to kata in between limp bizkit and eminem... so what do you folks think? this question comes, btw, largely from the recent success of 'the osbournes.' so opinions?

ý hate the osbournes show,
it's comic, people even birthney spears fan laugth at him...but at the and he is OZZY, do u understand me? He is a black sabbath member and that's why ý can not support it!ý can not support people make fun off with one of the biggest heavy metal star in the world. it's shit!
about katatonia...
ý would like to see them as a BIG band,they deserve succes..
ý but ý don'l know what will ý think if they do something like :
"the renkses" or "the nsytröms" ;)

I agree with you.
I would be happy if the band had a huge success because they deserve it, but I think I'm pretty jealous of Katatonia and I wouldn't like to "share" them with an audience of stupid teen-agers and so on... so perhaps the best thing could be that they became more famous than now but not too much famous like limp bizkit and so on.
Then I think that if they were rich and famous, how can you expect them to write an album such as "Discouraged ones"? Not that being rich and famous means being happy and writing superficial lyrics and stuff ( just think about Kurt Cobain for example), but, well, I think that in a way too much success can ruin a band, take Metallica for example...
I would also add that I really prefer to go to concerts of smaller bands, because I don't have to queue for hours before entering the club, I can watch and listen to the bands being quite near to the stage and then I can hope to meet some band members after the gig and so on...

well im just in shock about LFDGD not getting really famous, i mean if that cant what the hell can. of course they deserve it, and i can say the only thing that would be bad is the gigs, i like the small club gigs, maybe they wont get any more like that, and the price will be more. other than that i dont mind. obviously i still need to like them, no point them going famous by turning shit. if i still like the music, good luck to them.

i of course also agree they deserve the money and success but i feel the music would lose a lot of meaning to me if so many other people liked it. personnally id rather give katatonia my life savings which isnt much seeing as though im 15 as of today and keep "everyone" else out of our music.

Of all the 'not as popular bands' that I listen to, I see Katatonia easily being pulled into mainstream...BUT...i still think that they would continue wrinting GOOD music. I would be happy as hell quite frankly. Tool is my second favorite band behind Opeth, and they're as popular as fuck, but they contuiniue to write genious music.

In my opinion, Katatonia + Succsess = Good.

money and being famous can give them a bit happyness but ý don't think they will lose their depressive part with money...
they can be rich, famous and still continue to writing good songs
and ý agree with u transparent... ý can't understand how they couldn't be famous with this album...
maybe someone should send the lfdgd album to MTV :)

It would be stupid to say "Katatonia is now big so I won't listen to them again", the fact that more people now listen to "your" shouldn't be a reason to stop liking them, that is when they don't change their style all too much.

It would be another thing if they would start making commercial pop songs and get big with that, that would suck, but they wouldn't do that...

there is no reason to give up katatonia, if they make the big deal. sure it would be terrible, if every pop-teeny listen to them, but i think those teenies don´t really understand the music. that doesn´t mean, i understand it. :)
let´s hope they don´t go the paradise lost way.

i mean, personally, i'd feel really good for the band, i'm sure they could use the money... but at the same time, i don't want a bunch of teeny-boppers listening to kata in between limp bizkit and eminem...
Yes, that´s exactly the same how I think about it. But maybe we should ask the kata members what they do expect of the future. Maybe they don´t plan such a "breakthrough". I don´t know.

I wouldn't care, i like their music... as long as i wouldn't get saturated of their music, publicity, advertising, "coolness", i would still be the same individual even if i was amidst 1000 teeny-boppers. But i dont imagine that, melancholic music just doesn't do it... i hope it does for Katatonia's sake.

Well, I'd be a little disappointed if they became very popular. I mean, that'd be great for Katatonia, but I would just hate knowing that blink 182 fans enjoy MY music...But I would still listen to them.

I wonder how popular Diabolical Masquerade would get if the movie "Death's Design" actually came out...

NP: Dodheimsgard - "Final Conquest"

i didn't mean to imply, btw, that i'd stop listening to them if they got popular and all such... i think my feelings would be: great for them, i'm sure they could use the cash and such, and as long as they didn't really compromise the music to get the money, i wouldn't mind... i'd be a little miffed to see the fanbase lose its 'exclusivity,' i guess... that's mostly ego stuff tho - feels good to wear a shirt and know that no one has a clue who the band on it is... but yeah, as long as they didnt throw away their integrity to gain popularity, i'd be thrilled to see them get some more attention... just so long as no one mistakes me for some trendy-boy fan :p

but then again i guess you are joking.

No, I'm not. I refuse to listen to anything that's radio-compatible. If Katatonia ever enter the Top 40, they're dead for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...OF COURSE I'M JOKING! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think debating about how "commercial" a band is is somewhat beside the point. Good music is good music. For example, one of my favourite bands is The Tea Party. They're superstars in Canada. I like Kent whose albums have all been on No.1 in Sweden. Both Tool & A Perfect Circle are really big in the U.S.
...so what?!

Of course, I don't live in any of these three countries so I usually don't have to go to huge venues with thousands of people and pay a fortune to see these "big" bands live. I saw A Perfect Circle playing in a small club which I certainly would enjoy doing again...so yes, to some extent I am jealous and don't want my favourite bands to become too famous. I think you all know what I mean.