what do you do with yourself?

elric

crunchy frog
Oct 16, 2001
u.s.a.
hey... so, in moment of vague spiritual crisis, i turn to a large number of people who i don't know too very well... what do you do with your life that makes it worth living? do you have a job which is very fulfilling? if so, what? if not, what do you do outside of this to enjoy your life? i'm not asking what gives your life a point, i should say, but just what things in your life make it enjoyable, interesting, worthy of continuation? i ask this because at this point in my life (as a college student), i find my classes and much of the rest of my life very unfulfilling, and am kind of hoping that i'll get some good suggestions / positive affirmations :) (yes, i know... asking for positive thinking on *this* forum? still, i'd appreciate your opinions). thanks, folks...

:lol: nooo, you can keep that information to yourself, thank you kindly :) unless, of course, that's your answer to dealing with all of life's disappointments ;) ya never know!

I can relate somewhat. Im in my third of university and this particular semester is terrible for how worthless it all seems. I eventually want to become a philosophy professor, but that is so far down the road it doesn't seem worthwhile most of the time these days.

What do I do to take my mind off of it? Well, I'm in the army reserves and I absolutely love it. I mostly love the people (army-types) because they're the only ones I can talk to in person anymore and enjoy myself. I love the miniature culture that is probably found in all armies around the globe. I simply love being a soldier: I even love the many pitfalls of being a soldier.

Another thing I do is work on mathematical logic problems (this is also my focus for my philosophy degree). Getting completely involved in these difficult problems completely shoves all of my problems back somewhere in my mind, and if I successfully complete a problem, or set of problems, I feel like I've done something wonderful, which is using my mind for productivity rather than the destruction that can occur when all you can tink about are the different ways that you coulud kill yourself.

Take care.

I have my daughter she is three and being a father is the best thing in the world. Hopefully I will still think that in 10 years time when she is a rebellious teenager.

I would say study hard get your results and enjoy your time, you are young have a lot of freedom, little responsibilities so get out in the world, travel do hobbies whatever.

School is the only thing i do, well, i go out in the evening too, but lately me and my friend don't really know where to go, we haven't a car and here there aren't good places so we always end with a boring saturday night....I mean, last year we had a company and so we went to different places and know good people...this year i'm like dead..:(

Originally posted by Hiljainen
School is the only thing i do, well, i go out in the evening too, but lately me and my friend don't really know where to go, we haven't a car and here there aren't good places so we always end with a boring saturday night....I mean, last year we had a company and so we went to different places and know good people...this year i'm like dead..:(

CHIANTI!!!
:)

Well, I work at gay ass K-Mart right now and it sucks major ass. But it keeps me busy and has been helping me lose a lot of weight so It's ok I guess...

Other than that, I really don't do anything. I rarely leave the house when I don't have to. I hardly ever hang out with my friends. All I really do is come home and dick around on the computer and play Playstation 2 all day... And I'm perfectly happy with that :)

Hmm, my life. I pretty much...entertain myself. :( I don't have many friends. Well honestly, I don't have any friends outside of the internet. Ahh well, I'm not whining about it. It's not my fault people are mean to me because they don't understand me.

College, ahh yes. I attend college. I start back in January. My psychology classes are very entertaining I think. I like learning about the mind and possible reasons as to why people do things. That and art. Art has been a big part of my life right along with music. I paint a lot. Katatonia has given me major insperation to do certian paintings. I should get around to those.
Most of all though, I love making music. Wether it's singing, or playing drums (which I haven't done in awhile cause they're at my band-mates apartment and we haven't practiced in awhile...) music always helps me out when I'm not feeling too hot :), and I don't think Katatonia could ever be unfulfilling.

As far as a job....I do computer repair for people...yay

Actually Bleedingfilth brought up a point I completely forgot about, which is strange 'cuz I still somewhat consider it a big part of who I am. Basically for the first 17 years of my life, I was huge into art, although I never considered myself an artist, but always a cartoonist. It fulfilled my life, and I remember doing little BUT drawing all the time. It consumed everything, and my memories of the past sure are better than the recent. Something bad happened that made me eventually stop, but unfortunatley, I've never had the motivation to take it up again, despite previous efforts to do so. All of my creative resources now go into my philosophy papers and logico-math problems. It doesn't seem as fulfilling however. Try something that involves your creativity (painting, sculpting, drawing, writing,...maybe even math), and I doubt you wouldn't be completely consumed by your imagination.

Originally posted by bleedingfilth
I attend college...I paint a lot...I love making music...I do computer repair for people

Hey, that's not too bad.:) I mean, obviously you're into a lot of stuff. Myself, I often feel that I should be more creative but I hardly ever accomplish anything due to lack of ideas, talent and motivation.

My psychology classes are very entertaining I think. I like learning about the mind and possible reasons as to why people do things.

Well, that's good. MY classes are hardly entertaining at all. Too much theory for my taste, too many useless facts and figures. I got the impression that the only thing I'm learning there is how to study.:rolleyes: Discussions can be fun but most of the time people just bitch at me because I'm so negative and because I lack political correctness. What a load.

Surfing the Internet is quite entertaining though.:D

the_joy_of_grief:

Yea it's not bad :). The main reason I got into the things I'm into now, (ie: art, music) is because I've had to keep myself busy for so long. I sat down one day with a pencil..bored out of my mind and said: "Hey I'll draw this cd cover or something cause I don't have anything else to do" That's how it all started.

Drums were different, I picked up drums in highschool. I've always been interested in them. My voice, well, ppl told me I could sing, I was accepted to take lessons and here I am now.

It's just hard to find ppl near me that are interested in the things I am. Damn near impossible actually....:lol: People are scared of me :( Anyone have any idea why??

Damn Elric, I'm actually glad you brought up this topic: it makes me think of what's actually worthwhile :)

I just remembered another thing I do. I'm not sure if you're into reading lots or not, but I have two novels that I like to reread parts of every once in awhile, and I always feel "uplifted" after doing so. I highly recommend for anyone to read Ayn Rand's novels, particularly _The Fountainhead_ and _Atlas Shrugged_. Apparently these (or at least _Atlas Shrugged_) are read in highschool/college english courses, which I think is great. Unfortunatley, to the best of my knowledge, these aren't read in school here in Canada (could be wrong). It's make sense: we do have a fucking communist dictatorship (well, I exaggerate, but it's bad enough to feel livid about it).

bleedingfilth@ i think i agree with what the_joy_of_grief posted...
I guess this is something people who differ significantly from what is usual and common have to face....

hmmmm what i do with myself ( :lol: thoughts similar to CDN's crossed my mind :rolleyes: ).....well...hmmmmm
Up to 2-3 days ago due to some personal trouble and a fucked up situation with my exams & studying i did almost nothing :cry:
but from now on and like i did in the past i am trying to read a looooooot of books (i love sitting in my bed or a comfortable sofa reading and drinking tea),listen to much music,study german & spanish (yup,this is the only kind of studying i consider a pleasure..... my classes are boring though :cry: ),surf a lot etc....
I've gotten tired of my studies (psychology),it's interesting but i hate exams and half of the obligatory subjects we have,i hate going to my university classes (they are boring,too)...
soon i will do a 3 month practice somewhere.Where i have no clue yet.....but uhmmm i suppose they will laugh at me anyway...

i don't go often out to cafeterias etc...i prefer just going out for a walk and waste my time in parks (and deserted playgrounds :lol: )......
and tad-dah!!!!!! today i will go to cinema with my mother... (if she pays it will be even better :loco: )

uff,now that i read my post i feel as if i'm the most retarded 21 year-old on earth :lol: and the most useless psychology student ever....
well,at least i'm first in sth :p

what things in your life make it enjoyable, interesting, worthy of continuation?

It varies greatly. I depend on music and independence, so I often seek solitude without cause or reason. I'm studying, but I'd never say it is of real importance to me. Finding other human beings that make you feel whole and (in)sane is desirable, accumulating experience is important.
Sometimes the only thing that drags me out of bed is the hope to perceive something beautiful, and occasionally I indulge in withering memories and interpersonal stuff which should be left behind. That's it. I'm pretty normal, I guess.

Thanks, folks :) These are exactly the sort of things I was looking to hear....
-- EvilGenius - I don't know that I'd do too well in the army, but I get the idea of what you're saying... I've been thinking about joining the Peace Corps after college, which, while it doesn't have exactly the same sorts of things that you mention about the army, at least I think would help by giving me an attachment to some sort of movement larger than myself - I enjoy being able to commit myself to some sort of larger goal.
-- bleedingfilth - Sounds not so bad to me :) I think that I'm particularly unsatisfied with university this year because I'm stuck in the middle of a bunch of classes that aren't terribly relevant to me, nor very interesting. I am taking one that I really do enjoy, a class on building search engines for the web or for library catalogs, etc. Probably a good thing that I'm enjoying this one so much, as that's the sort of class I hope to take lots more of after getting out of the more basic requirements... As for art, I really wish I had any creative talent... Over the years, I've basically convinced myself that I lack any, and so I can no longer even try. I do, however, act, which I find immensely relaxing and enjoyable. This semester, I'm playing the part of Tom in the 7 Year Itch (I'm supposed to be this suave guy seducing the main character's wife... the character's about as far from my real personality as possible... never seduced *anyone* ;) ) and also of Trinculo in the Tempest.
-- EvilGenius (again ;P) - yeah, reading a lot is another of my pasttimes... I have an unfortunate habit, though, of trying to buy all the books I want to read, instead of going to the library or such, which means that now I've got a 6 foot bookcase in my room full of books I've read at least 4-5 times each, and no cash :p I really should just check out the fiction section of our university library. Never read Ayn Rand... heard a lot about her, was always kind of scared off by the political nature. I'll put them on my list though. One author who I particularly enjoy, and recommend to everyone here, is Haruki Murakami... My favorite novel by him is Norwegian Wood, and it's a very beautiful, very sad story...
-- bleedingfilth (again) - well, we're not scared of you :p Really though, hardly any of my friends are into similar things as I am... Can be annoying at times, but every once in a while run across something very interesting...
-- melancholia - hey, sounds basically like my life... don't knock yourself too much - at least it sounds like you leave your house occasionally :) I'm 20, and even when it's a gorgeous day (as, looking out my window, it seems to be) I'm pretty unlikely to make the venture to a park (even though we've got some gorgeous waterfalls/etc around here... haha Ithaca is gorges!). Hmm. Maybe today, after going to the grocery store, I'll take a walk down to the falls and sit and have lunch down there... kinda doubt it though. And hey, right now, I'd be thrilled to go to the movies with my mom :p Living 3000 miles away from home gets to you after a while... :/

Thanks people, this is all really inspirational and helpful... Keep at it!