What do you do with your life?

Damn this is an old topic, and so a lot of things have changed in life, I am now fully retired from Corporate America and now working for LANCE KING at NIGHTMARE RECORDS, I am Director of Marketing and Promotions, I LOVE IT. Thanks to Lance for this.

So when a Nightmare band plays in Phoenix, and you need a photographer for live dates, you'll let me know, right?

Awesome! I'm serious now, I'd love to work with you guys! :D ... In fact, some of my pictures may have ended up in the new Saint Daemon CD. I'll have to order a copy. I didn't realize it was released!

The thread from the dead!

I'm a pilot for a regional airline flying Canadair Regional Jets out of O'Hare. Here's my office:
img1.jpg

Best job in the world (except for the pay, but that will change).

Other than that, I'm working out and riding my road bike a lot. When not doing those, I'm either tinkering with one of the many computers around the house, playing a computer game, or watching road racing on TV. Occassionally, I do driver's ed events with the Porsche Club of America driving my Boxster like a madman, or doing Autocross with the same club.

For money, I work at a marketing and PR firm that focuses on companies that work in the built industry (contractors, developers, architects, interior designers, real estate brokers, etc. you get the idea) ... Although my aspiration is to one day do what I do (marketing/promotion) for bands or a music label. I do that a little on the side (my band, the Flight of the Valkyries fest, etc.) but it's not to the point yet where that interest pays the bills.
Just noticed the resurrection of this thread and thought I'd update my contribution since things have changed in the last 2 years since I posted that.

I lost that job back in May of last year. I went on unemployment for a few months, but in January moved to a freelance model, picking up some marketing and admin work from a former boss of mine, probably one of my favorite bosses ever. (Unfortunately it only pays a little better than unemployment.) It's still not my ideal job, but it allows me to do the other thing that takes up most of my time right now - traveling as "merch girl" for the Independents (the band Nick drums for). Which is fine with me. I've gotten to see areas of the country I never had before. (I'm hoping to go with them for their month long tour planned for October and see the Southwest, and I'll be with them at some upcoming shows down South and in the Midwest this month.) Still hope to make my living promoting music one day, although the chances for that are seeming slim the way the industry has been going recently.

Good for you, always great to hear of anyone going indy vs. the corporate world. So what's the band you're working with?

Just noticed the resurrection of this thread and thought I'd update my contribution since things have changed in the last 2 years since I posted that.

I lost that job back in May of last year. I went on unemployment for a few months, but in January moved to a freelance model, picking up some marketing and admin work from a former boss of mine, probably one of my favorite bosses ever. (Unfortunately it only pays a little better than unemployment.) It's still not my ideal job, but it allows me to do the other thing that takes up most of my time right now - traveling as "merch girl" for the Independents (the band Nick drums for). Which is fine with me. I've gotten to see areas of the country I never had before. (I'm hoping to go with them for their month long tour planned for October and see the Southwest, and I'll be with them at some upcoming shows down South and in the Midwest this month.) Still hope to make my living promoting music one day, although the chances for that are seeming slim the way the industry has been going recently.

I have a few things going on right now...

Trying to finish up my degree at Georgia Tech
Working as an accounting intern
Business manager of my college radio station

I've been busy, I guess

I work for McDonalds as a burger makers assistant. On my off hours I panhandle down at the Wharf in San Francisco, or sell my body for big bucks. For fun I just drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and say funny things to people on the streets because it scares them. I sleep in the park in box so I can save my money for more Jack Daniels...

15 Years in the US Air Force and finally on the downhill slide to retirement (yeah right). I am an aircraft Hydraulic Systems Mechanic by trade, but I am currently a C-17 Hydro Systems Instructor at Charleston AFB. Basically I teach new kids how the C-17 works. Outside of that (and when I am not deployed to some dirty hole in the world) I am about a year away from my degree in education (also from SIU). Any free time I have is spent with my family, playing guitar and drums and teaching music to my kids, playing with my pets (3 dogs and a cat) and occasionally finding time to go to metal concerts (usually with the wife and kids in tow).

Right now I have no job. Have been a software engineer for the last 15 years, but maybe done with that whole scene. Would take a cool project to get me back in that field.

I'm mostly learning to relax again, and actually live, as I've spent WAY too much time working for many, many years. Most of that time a lot more than 40 hours a week, more like 60+. It's bad when I've been out of work for months, but still wake up some mornings thinking I have to go to the office and write code.

Right now, I'm traveling around, visiting friends and places I always wanted to see. Normally I'm on a motorcycle, but right now in a van. I plan to keep exploring, experiencing, till I can't any longer. Maybe I'll go back to school. I have a BS in Civil Engineering, and then of course the software experience. Maybe I'll work on a degree in something neat, like biomechanical engineering or something.

If anyone has some cool software job at their company, let me know. I have great references!

The thread from the dead!

I'm a pilot for a regional airline flying Canadair Regional Jets out of O'Hare. Here's my office:
img1.jpg

It's sweet that all your dedication and hard work with your flying has paid off like that! I know you've been working for a long time towards this goal. Congratulations. I'm not sure when you got the gig, but :headbang:

Ken

Oog, very old thread!
Let's see.
I model for a living predominantly...when I'm not doing that, however, I am painting, sketching, dancing, playing piano/guitar/bass, singing, or writing music...and when I'm not doing that, I'm at home being Missus Drenning, sharing luscious wines with Mister Drenning, and discussing Things of Great Importance: quantum physics, string theory...Denny Crane...heh.
Life isn't so bad.

I work for a Healthcare company here in the Phoenix, AZ area; we own 5 hospitals and a bunch of clinics. I do a little bit of everything although my "official" title is Applications Analyst. I'm pretty much the go to guy if you have a problem, which can be both good and bad.

In my free time I play guitar (26 years and counting), drums, golf, watch insane amounts of sports, and play with my 2 dogs. I also spend lots of time with my CD collection, and I'm kind of a gear whore when it comes to guitar and drums. I've been wanting to get into photography but I don't have a DSLR or any camera for that matter. I just need to bite the bullet and buy one.