What did you do once you graduated college?

I graduated from college in December, and I'm hoping to get accepted into an M.F.A. Creative Writing program, but two of the five universities I applied to have already rejected me. Right now, though, I'm adjunct faculty at a local community college (English 101), and working part-time at a bank. Been with that bank for 2 1/2 years. If I don't get accepted, I suppose I'll teach as many classes as I can, save money, and apply to grad schools next year. Or hang myself with a rusty wire.

I also just graduated in December. I currently have no job and no direction. I was planning on getting an M.A.T. (Masters of Arts in Teaching) to teach HS history. However, on my last observation class (I don't know if anyone else has ever done these, you just go sit in a class and watch), I noticed that the majority of teachers looked suicidal and I suddenly thought "Holy shit, I don't want to do this." Now I've joined the growing ranks of graduates who have the option of either getting a horrible job that has nothing to do with their degree or go back to school. It's sad but an undergraduate degree is worth little more than a HS diploma used to be.

I was wanting to get into the JET program to go teach in Japan but their application process is very long and I'd have to wait until September just to apply and then if I got the interview I still wouldn't find out if I was accepted until April 2007. I then wouldn't start until June or July of that year.

So now I'm currently looking into the various eikaiwa (English Conversation Schools) in Japan.

lol @ you guys with the art degrees. that's gotta suck. my brother in law is going through the same thing right now. my ol lady got a degree in communication but the jobs just fell into her lap one after another - NOTHING to do with her degree (like thananananatopsisis said). guys, if you wanna make money, just get a sales job. start low like with cellular phones or some shit and work your way up to medical equipment. yeah, you'll still want to kill yourself but at least youll have some money to leave your family.

dorian gray said:
you'll still want to kill yourself but at least youll have some money to leave your family.
so, so not worth it

although i have no idea what i'll be doing with a degree in hispanic studies, other than having it crumpled into a ball and thrown laughingly at my face at every job interview

haha you sound like your old self, matt. funny, i mean. you were worrying me there for awhile.

@dorian: i think the problem is i haven't been drinking enough

just picked up 18 guinness and a bottle o' baileys for tomorrow though, that should be enough drunk sauce to make me wuuaouuoouaau

@moose: i was thinking more along the lines of freelance bilingual insult monger

after i quit college i got a job and just worked for awhile and saved money while living with the parents. after awhile i moved out and stopped saving and just spent all my money on drugs, liquor, and pizza. luckily i still had money saved from when i lived at home so i went to Europe for a few weeks. that was pretty cool. now i work my shitty job that i fucking despise. im thinking about doing some sort of recording school/apprentice thing, cause breakin my back so someone else can get richer is starting to bother me.

"College" is a difficult concept to get my head around. I can't figure out if it's equivical to uni or tafe on this side of the planet.

I took a year off after highschool to a) repeat my last year of school, only to drop out b) smoke lots of pot and think up ways my mates were trying to kill me and c) get a short lived job as a security technicial. I'm currently studying a diploma in Graphic Design, and after that I'll move to a capital city, get a job, and one day travel.

Dorian, when did you get married, in relation to finishing your schooling?

"College" is a difficult concept to get my head around. I can't figure out if it's equivical to uni or tafe on this side of the planet.

uni

calling it college really makes no sense here as even we make the distinction between colleges and universities

Why is there such a standard expectation of going to college when you finish school then? Only about 25% or less of students here go on to uni, and only about 3/4 of them make it all the way through. I can't stand the idea of uni personally... when I finished school all I wanted to do was earn some fucking money to actually do something. Not spend 3-4 more years in class.