How do you record onto computer?

Shooto

Jan 27, 2004
there is some good stuff on the "record a riff" thread and it seems like everyone else in the world but me knows how to record onto the computer...so, how do you do it!??

thanks-

oh yah....what ever you do....NEVER EVER EVER EVER plug your amp into your computer with a "speaker out". it will blow your soundcard up and possibly fry your fucking computer. if you are going to plug your amp into your computer...do it through the effects loop out.

I play through my Tech21 Trademark 10 amp, miced by a Studio Projects B1 (condenser mic) through a Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC100 mic preamp.. then out of the preamps unbalanced outs and into my M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard (2 RCA-inputs).. software, I use Cubase SX2.01 and a bunch of waves-plugs.

My amp also has a PA-out (or SansAmp, whatever you want to call it), and I've tried using it as well.. through my preamp that time as well (I like the little touch of warmth it gives).. but I just feel the air between the amp and the mic inproves the sound.. fuller and more "alive" in some way.

I'll record a little riff tomorrow for that thread, I think..

I have a small (and cheap) Phonic mixer connected to my sound card (SB Audigy II), so everytime I change an instrument I don't have to crawl under the table. I haven't decided the software yet. I've been doing some stuff with Cool Edit Pro, it's easy to use but I've been told it sucks ass in the long run.

ggggggu said:
Is is any good? It's quite cheap.
Yeah, it's alright.. really worth the price, at least. Although I'm considering maybe getting a Studio Projects VTB-1 instead.. I've heard good things about it, and I'd like having that "tube blend" knob. It's not that expensive either.. around $200 here in Sweden (MIC100 was at maybe $80 here).

I line out from my ME-50 effects box straight into the amp. Doesn't exactly give the cleanest of tones, but if you're looking to seriously record, you're gonna need yourself a good preamp and amp modelling.

Oh, I have Cubase... it doesn't like my computer in the slightest though. I find Cool Edit Pro 2 much much easier to use, and it runs a heap better, along with also covering all the features I've needed up to this point.

BLackwater86 said:
Acid pro 3.0 is looking pretty nice to me..where'd you buy it from and how much did you pay?

uhhh, i downloaded the trial version....then i downloaded the hack....and ripped off sonic foundry 300 dollars....ahhh the guilt.

right now...you can download acid pro 4.0 off of kazaa with the hack....it is sweet.