How does this mix sound? (new toxic grind machine inside) feedback?

Jun 2, 2005
Been working on this one for way too long ... kinda lost perspective, but we'll see what you lads think of it:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=283678

It's the one on top, "Neon Christ City second mix"

Yup.. there is a second mix up now... different guitars, better in my opinion.

- Guitars are re-recorded now, with a big bottom patch.

- Softened up the synths a wee bit in the beginning.

I tried some new synths on this one, more then other songs i believe.. kinda gives it that rammstein/fear factory/sybreed feel to it...

Guitars are once again, two tracks of POD XT...
Drums are once again, DFHS..
Bass.. yup, reason.
And a shitload of synths and samples for atmopshere.

Now im getting ready for an end template.. re-amp all guitars, get some real bass on the tracks, and vocals.

Get clubbin! :lol: :kickass:

Man thats really interesting! Its sweet! I always love your sample and synth choices, what synths do you use? + free sample sites?

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Man thats really interesting! Its sweet! I always love your sample and synth choices, what synths do you use? + free sample sites?

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Cheers dude...

The synths are:

Absynth 3
Albino 3
Predator
Nuendo A1
Nuendo Embracer
Nexus (xxx and hugz Kev!)
Imposcar

The samples are loaded from a DVD i have laying around here with hundreds of samples on em.. and i got some of http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/.

You write really good songs man. Your production is great but your songwriting is even better. I dig it.

Very nice! I always love that kinda...choirish pad that you use often, I remember its in Rain where the solo section is and a similar one on that song! Please tell me what that is off! :D :kickass:

Cheers lads!

Very nice! I always love that kinda...choirish pad that you use often, I remember its in Rain where the solo section is and a similar one on that song! Please tell me what that is off! :D :kickass:

Someone noticed! :kickass: it's either albino 2/3 or A1... if its A1, then it's the ensemble pad (slightly altered) and if it's albino, it'll be the "honey and silk" pad, again slightly altered (more verb, delay, EQ that kind of stuff..).

Hey Bob, sounds cool overall. Here are some things I think can be improved:

a) The intro is great, but then the synth just fades out and the guitar comes in without any timing relation to the synth. Also it comes in at a low level, so the synth is more powerful than the guitar. Then (a little later) it fully kicks in and there isn't a huge gain in volume either, so the "kick in the face" effect is missing. Basically what I would do is: lower the volume of the intro, put a radio effect on the initial guitar/drum combo and then take it off just before the "whole band" comes in at 1:25 (right on the lonely snare hit).

b) I am not a big fan of the gated synth that plays in the main riff from 1:27. It's very fuzzy/unfocused and distant (and kinda cheesy sounding). It might work depending on what the vocals are and what the general mix is. What I always do to my softsynths is take all delays and reverbs (especially reverbs) off and replace them with good VST reverb plugins like CSR on a send. I have yet to hear a good sounding reverb that is built into a VSTi.

c) Some of the guitars in the faster riffs need tightening up. Not much, but under scrutiny it is noticeable.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for the advice Smy... i'll look into that today..

Also, the guitar tone is one i chose because it plays very well.. better then my other patches, has more "oomph" when palm muted...
I'll see if i can get another tone on it as well to A/B tones.

Its a very naaiisss!!! I liiikkee!
Guitars sound cool, piano sound in the beginning is good aswell for plug! You need more Distorted bass though :p

Oh and i kind of agree on the balans between the piano and the Guitars, it could be a bit more massive or something, piano is overwhelming too much, but its a minor detail!

phew.. completely lost perspective on the mix, but i uploaded a new mix:

- Guitars are re-recorded now, with a big bottom patch.

- Softened up the synths a wee bit in the beginning.