How is everyone's training going?

Yeah man, this is my first time taking 5 classes, and for some reason I decided to do that when I'm in a bunch of my upper level English courses as well as two history courses. Bad idea. Papers all around! You've got exams? Here have some more reading! How about a project? Hurray!

LOL my degrees are English Writing and Political Science. I remember one semester where I had to write damn near a full textbook worth of shit. Lot of fun.

Ahh, so you feel my pain lol. Some stuff this semester I've really enjoyed, like Nature Writing and Holocaust Literature. My 18th century- Romantic era British Lit class hasn't been as cool though. I was hoping we'd focus on the Gothic novel and maybe do some Romantic era poetry, but we've been focusing on issues of race and gender instead. Fml.

But on topic..uh...I ate like 5 meals today. That's a training of sorts.

come work at sea and the word 'training' will conveniently disappear from your vocabulary entirely.Just out of curiosity what do y'all train for anyway,vanity?impressing the opposite sex perhaps?boxing?generally only sportsmen and women 'train' as far as I know.

I'm training to not be fat.

come work at sea and the word 'training' will conveniently disappear from your vocabulary entirely.Just out of curiosity what do y'all train for anyway,vanity?impressing the opposite sex perhaps?boxing?generally only sportsmen and women 'train' as far as I know.

Exercise is one of my ways of keeping my sanity. It's also a big way for me to stave off a serious drinking problem. I'm a casual drinker as is, but if I wasn't working out six days a week I'd probably be drinking seven.

Also, I do competitions. I've done powerlifting and strongman so far, Crossfit come January.

Love my gym/the owner, but I'm starting to get annoyed with the boxing spectators and smelly teenagers and that cocky guy who is a "personal trainer" to a bunch of flabby teenage girls who eat up his terrible "personal training" advice and don't actually do anything. After work is just too much humanity so I'm going to start going on lunch break.

I can't believe the difference in quality in Army gyms to civilian owned gyms, but still gets the job done.

When you say "gym", do you mean an actual gym or one of those bullshit "fitness centers"?

Whats the difference? Mine is labeled an athletic club, and it's got every option for working out, so is that a fitness center?

Mine is called a fitness club and I'd much prefer going there over some strongman gym full of roid-raging meatheads staring at themselves in the mirror and high-fiving each other.

Mine is $15/month with no contract in an old factory and has one of each weight machine, a few benches set up for bench pressing, four treadmills, three bikes, one ERG machine, one stair stepper, an arc trainer, two ellipticals, a boxing ring, and a padded "dojo" room.

A "gym" is a place where people go to lift and improve themselves.

A "fitness center" is where out of shape middle aged fuckers go to read the newspaper while they wheel around on a treadmill and complain about the scary "meathead" doing deadlifts.

This a GYM:

Last edited by a moderator:
A "gym" is a place where people go to lift and improve themselves.

A "fitness center" is where out of shape middle aged fuckers go to read the newspaper while they wheel around on a treadmill and complain about the scary "meathead" doing deadlifts.

I've gained fitness, strength, muscle tone and lost roughly 12 kilos in the three months I've been going to one of these "bullshit" fitness centres. If that isn't improving myself, I don't know what is.

All the guys at my gym that do nothing but weights are idiots. Not 'scary', just not anyone I'd aspire to be. Obviously I'm only going by what I've seen here, maybe your gym is full of guys who just want to improve themselves and don't check their abs in the mirror every two minutes.

What a load of wank.

I feel like a bloated mess (I LOVE CHICKEN WINGS AND CHEESE DOODLE FLAVORED ARTICHOKE DIP AND SOUTHERN TIER BEER THOUGH) and am looking forward to going back to the jim tonight.

I've gained fitness, strength, muscle tone and lost roughly 12 kilos in the three months I've been going to one of these "bullshit" fitness centres. If that isn't improving myself, I don't know what is.

All the guys at my gym that do nothing but weights are idiots. Not 'scary', just not anyone I'd aspire to be. Obviously I'm only going by what I've seen here, maybe your gym is full of guys who just want to improve themselves and don't check their abs in the mirror every two minutes.

What a load of wank.

My gym has an official strongman team, and what's hilarious is the guy who holds a national record in the axle press is also a nurse. Another also works in the hospital. Me, I have two degrees and work in the oil&gas business (and not on a rig, mind). We ain't idiots, we just take our gym time very seriously.

I use nearly zero machines and 100% believe that the best results are from moving shit in real space. You want to improve yourself? I can get you in the best shape of your life if you're not afraid of putting some blood and elbow grease into it. Hell I could get you full workouts with nothing but a barbell and plates. No other equipment.

If you want to jog and do all that other shit, fine. That's your bag. But I hate Planet Fucking Fitness with its lunk alarms (which I've set off before) and its whole anti-"meathead" bullshit.

As for me, tried one fuck of a little circuit. I set a bar with 385 on one side of the gym and at the other side I put a box with plates stacked up to my waist. Did a deadlift, jog over to do a box jump, repeat. 20 rounds. Lotta fun.

I have a 1, 1.5, and 2 pood kettlebell set that gets a lot of work! LOVE them things. Wish I had a 2.5, could really push myself.