How many albums you dislike can a band release & have you still care about a new CD?

. When Queen released Hot Space, I was extremely shocked and disappointed. Gone was the innocent youthful (and blind) fan worship for Queen and any band. A couple of years later the Radio Ga Ga single only dug the hole deeper. But along the way and especially towards the end with Freddie, they made some decent albums and few really excellent songs.

I am a HUGE Queen fan, but there are some albums in the middle that don't grab me as much. The last 2 albums Innuendo and Made in Heaven are absolutely brilliant, imo. Freddie gave it his all at the end.

Dream Theater is one of those bands where I give them a chance even if I think a couple of their albums are real stinkers. Systematic Chaos sucked so bad for me. I think I played it a total of 2 times and put it away. If Black Clouds & Silver Linings sucked as much as SC, I would have reconsidered my fangirl status. I am glad they came back with some redeeming qualities, but nothing is as good as Image & Words. Looking forward to hearing where they go with Mangini as their drummer.

So to answer the question, I give every band I've ever enjoyed at one time, one chance with each album. If not more than a couple of the songs appeal to me, I probably won't buy the album. But I never write off the band completely unless they change their sound entirely (like if they went from melodic vocals to 100% death metal growls).

The trouble with this line of reasoning (not picking on you - I do it too) is that when a band modifies their sound the new album might not grab you right off the bat. A perfect example is In This Moment. I loved their last album, The Dream, so when the new one came out I picked it up immediately and I HATED it. Way too much screaming. I put it on the shelf with no intention of ever taking it off. When it was announced that they were coming to town I decided to give it one more chance and, while I still prefer The Dream, I found that the new one really grew on me and that there were a lot of really good songs on it. Interesting side note - I talked to the band after the show and even they agree that The Dream is a much better album. The guitarist told me that nobody hates screaming more than Maria, but it's what sells and it's what is expected of In This Moment. I thought it was an interestingly candid comment.

Wow, seriously? Considering that she started off screaming on the first album, did she just grow tired of it or something? I agree though, there ARE some great tunes on the new one, but I was SO put off by "The Gun Show" (which is SO BAD WHY) that I almost didn't pick it up.

I do not think I give up on anyone.
A "return to form" is certainly not a requirement as change is a given in some way shape and form for most...ok, except AC/DC.
Certainly though, won't buy what I do not like no mater who it is, how long they have been around, or how long I have or haven't liked them.

That's not an exact science for me. It depends on a number of things:

1. It depends on the band and how much of a fan I was previously.
2. It depends just how bad the newer or previous album was. For example, if it's all bad or if it's mostly bad with a couple of decent to good tracks on it.
3. It depends on what the type of change is. Is it just bad songs or is it a whole sound they're changing?

Great reply. Those are my sentiments as well for the most part. I will also say that it depends on my expectations as well. For example, Brainstorm hasn't released something I really enjoy "cover to cover" in forever, but I know I will get a couple of songs that will absolutely rip my head off. In general, I am an "album" person who prefers to listen to a whole disc as opposed to skipping around for a song I like, but Brainstorm does keep manufacturing those two to three songs that are so kick ass, that I keep buying their releases, even though the other songs do little for me, and those songs are good enough that I feel just fine abuot making the purchase.
When it comes to me simply "disliking" an album by a band I really like, I will blind buy after one clunker. After that, I have to hear some of it first.

Bryant

Yes. Because Angra, unlike Queensryche, continues to release good music. ;) Admittedly, Aurora Consurgens wasn't the greatest album, but it wasn't as bad as other music being released out there by bands who should have retired at least ten years ago...

It could also be legitimately argued that angels do indeed cry when listening to post Angels Cry albums.

Wow, seriously? Considering that she started off screaming on the first album, did she just grow tired of it or something? I agree though, there ARE some great tunes on the new one, but I was SO put off by "The Gun Show" (which is SO BAD WHY) that I almost didn't pick it up.

Seriously. Chris (the guitarist with dreads) told me "We hate that song. It's just a boring, repetitive riff and screaming." He also said that Maria just "had a feeling" about it so they went with her instincts and it really paid off. They were all really cool, down-to-earth people.

It could also be legitimately argued that angels do indeed cry when listening to post Angels Cry albums.

Seriously guy, it's time for a new joke.

Besides, have you actually heard the albums Angra has released since the debut? Even the weakest (and it's a toss-up between Fireworks and Aurora Consurgens, both of which I really enjoy) are about as good as progressive power metal gets.

Seriously guy, it's time for a new joke.

Besides, have you actually heard the albums Angra has released since the debut? Even the weakest (and it's a toss-up between Fireworks and Aurora Consurgens, both of which I really enjoy) are about as good as progressive power metal gets.

I have them but nothing touches their debut. That album represented all their eggs in one basket.

Angra can still hold their eggs in their basket...

Queensryche, however...

464652_broken_egg.jpg