How Much You Bench?

Furious B

Aug 9, 2002
MPLS
So this next year I'm boing to try to bulk up a bit (current WEIGHT 160 lbs. ---> 185 WEIGHT target goial 2008 baby) and don't just want to put on beer gut. this thread is specifically targeted towards DOOMCIFER if he'd be so kind ot respond, but is also an open forum (ERIK STAY OUT).

what to eat? how much? what exercises to do? how many reps? can this be accomplished at home?

i'm a student of anatomy so i kind of have an understanding of how muscles work, their function, ect.

I'm thinking routine is going to be: every other day arms/upper body (curls, bench, tricep extensions/explosions or whatever they're called, forearm exercises), then every other day lower body (squats?).

thoughts? suggestions?

EDIT: Those figures are my weight, NOT how much I bench. i just want to put on more weioght in my arms and legs, specifically, but to keep in proportion I'll probably have3 to work on it all. I really don't care how much I bench. just thought it was a funny title.

my most ever bench was 225 lbs, back when i was a senior in high school and before shoulder surgery.

nowadays im more interested in cardio workouts

my most ever bench was 225 lbs, back when i was a senior in high school and before shoulder surgery.

nowadays im more interested in cardio workouts

I have pretty good cardio, but i look like an albino ethiopian when i run, so i need some more BEEF.

225 is pretty good.

if I do endurance training, 185 lbs x 16 lifts (which is also my weight)

if I do strenght training, 225 x 6 lifts

I still dont know my maximum bench weight.....

I think I maxed at about 235 my freshman year in college.

I read a pretty interesting article around then that was the summary of a study about maximum effective cooldown period by muscle. It was decided that larger muscles need a longer cooldown time after a workout to maximize muscle growth. So, this is what they recommended, and it worked well for me at the time (for weights, not cardio, since cardio is less damaging to the muscles, it can be done more often effectively):

Legs - every 6-7 days
Chest - every 3-4 days
Back - every 3-4 days
Arms - every 2-3 days

Hope that helps.

I'm thinking routine is going to be: every other day arms/upper body (curls, bench, tricep extensions/explosions or whatever they're called, forearm exercises), then every other day lower body (squats?).

You won't be able to do squats every other day unless your juicing on sustanon 250. (And even then it would be detrimental). But make this a focal point in your routine as it will naturally boost your testosterone secretion. So many people are top heavy, the reason for this is simple. They are too afraid to be seen walking around in public like they got fucked in the ass. This is ultimately the end result of such a taxing exercise, but it is a must. Remember your legs comprise two thirds of all the muscle inyour body.

:erk: I'd compound tri's with chest, and bi's w/ back (as those are both pulling exercises). Or you can dedicate one entire day to them and go full boar, just be aware that they are a smaller muscle group and do not need as much to develop as your larger areas.

Work one body part once a week and hit it hard for maximum results. Don't fall into the 29 pump chump mentality of loading up a bar with 5 lbs on each side, and thinking 50 reps will make you as ripped as Brad Pitt in fight club. The vascularity all comes from cardio and diet. Diet is 90% of the key. Also be advised that you won't be able to bulk and stay lean at the same time. That is why all bodybuilders go through a two season training regimen, one for bulking and building muscle, then a cutting phase to shed the fat and keep as much muscle that they gained as possible. Personally I'm only good at th bulking, I love food, who doesn't? :loco:

If I were you, I'd invest in a gym membership if you don't have one already, you are just so limited to what you can do at home. I myself only work on chest, shoulders at home. With my sole equipment being a dip station, a shoddy bench, and some curling bars. The gym membership is a necessity as this is where the squat racks lay my good man.

As far as eating goes, just have at it for a couple months, eat everything you see in sight. I'd personally suggest protein shakes loaded with a scoop of vanilla, eggo peanut butter waffle sandwiches, and meat by the Trylakos load. Oatmeal, whole eggs, (whites have the protein but very little nutritional value beyond), cold cuts, tuna fish, yadda yadda. Try to get atleast 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight Minimum, but shoot for 1.5 as that extra amount will make a Gojira sized difference.

This is just a broad formula, I don't want to get heavy winded.

I don't know precisely what my bench is, my shoddy ghettoset 2000 only holds 290 and I repped that for 3. So low 300's. Not really too impressive. It seems as if I hit a plateau for oh lets say the last 7 Fucking years. :erk:

But I'm trying to actually get the eye of the tiger back as my buddy said to me a month ago. "Hey man, I hate to tell it to you, but you're getting fat." Too much beer drinking the past 2 years. :erk:

Edit- Oh and before you start watch this video. If this doesn't motivate you, you have no soul! YouTube - Rocky II - Win!!

Reactions: AsModEe
That was a good post RiA. I will dedicate more time to this thread later tonight when I have more time but I'll try to find a very short article that I wrote some 6 years ago. The best I ever benched (who cares LOL) was 325 for 10 full reps, so my max was somewhere in the 400's @ 220ish and approx 7-10% bf. I was never a powerlifter so I had no use to max out and blow my shoulder out. When it gets that heavy, your joints feel like they are going to explode.