how perfect is too perfect? dealing with clients

tight metal at generally faster bpms shouldn't have mistakes if it sounds like some sort of timing fuck up, that isn't acceptable and i'd tell him to stfu and do another take. personally to me being raw and fucking up on something is completely different, you can still be raw but do a damn good job. saying it gives an emotional vibe sounds like a lame excuse to me, but i guess it would depend on what sort of mistake it was. and yeah as stated above MODERN methods involve perfect performances beat detectived inside and out. honestly if i were to listen to a metal track where timing wasnt tight i wouldnt enjoy near as much as if it were corrected.

if you feel uneasy, FIX THAT SHIT. it's your job dood!

I think that you should push them as far as the can go, if you really feel that they could get a better take then you should advice them to do so. However with crappy players there will be a point where they simply can't do it any better, and then you pretty much have to leave it at that. (Since most players that bad usually have huge egos to match, and would explode at the thought of re-writing riffs so that they can actually play them)

If it's a band like Oceano or The Faceless or something, mistakes have no place on the recording. I always felt if it's a more raw aggressive noisy band like Kylesa or Disfear, then the mistake do infact contribute to the emotional feel of the music. It depends way more on the type then personal preference. I've heard producers squash doom bands to shit and make everything that's interesting dry and boring.

One thing to remember here as well is that the common listener really doesn't even have an EAR for picking out certain things. I've talked to people that can't tell you the difference between the kick and the snare in a song, they're just accepting the end result as MUSIC. So imagine taking ALL that knowledge about perfectly spliced transients and harmonically separated EQs and down-to-the-millisecond exact guitar and drums and put yourself in the layman's place and ask yourself does it work as a whole?

there is definitely something to be said about taking pride in your work. Treating the recording process as if you're the foreman and you want to see every nail and every shingle perfectly in place, but at the end of the day, you want to do what's right for THAT band, not just YOURSELF as a producer. If that band kinda hinges themselves on having a few key human elements in their music, try not to let your ego as a producer get in the way that some other producer jerk out there is gonna rip you a new one for not catching their mistake. We're ALL knowitalls when we sit behind the desk, or DAW, or what have you, but take us out of the picture and think about the art, the musician, and most importantly the listener.

If we all worry about how much our reputation is on the line due to a human characteristic, we're gonna end up with a bunch of albums by Beneath The Massacre... that's not even music, it's a masturbatory effort in constructing sound. It's a cool achievement for what it is, but people loved the shit out of metal before we had triggers, before we had visual waveform editing, and before we had much more than a classic rock recording approach towards guys who wanted to be louder and meaner.

But I digress :)

Minor mistakes like a bad note from a guitar or a little off time from a bassplayer or a drummer dont bother me, but shitty playing from the get go and out of tune player who doesnt think he's out of tune or even a drummer who cant come out of a fill to save his life is what bothers me. but having said that....as an engineer get paid just to record, it's not my job to question or demand a player who's happy with his performance to keep doing it over.

Time to quit bashing 'triggers'.

Triggers don't change anything - sound replacement does. Sound replacement has been around for a *long fucking time*, and doesn't remove the 'humanity' when used right.

Jeff

i actually prefer sound replacement due to helping out with bleed and all that. i do not like "triggering" though. i prefer to do things manually in that respect. i just don't like trigger apps... i know they work for some people though.