How to change a woman's surname

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Yo folks,

Mrs Winmar still uses her old name, and would like to tack my awesome surname on the end of hers. How does she go about doing so, including at banks, Medicare etc? Is it a formal process?

Yes. Shes needs to register her name change with the Registry of BD&M (haha, that's a funny anacronym when you think about it). Then she has to use that as proof when she changes her name on all her other documents. I had to do it when I changed my name.

Dammit!

Not to hijack the thread - anyone know the way about changing your name in Adelaide/SA? Cos I didn't have my birth certificate while in VIC (would have been so much easier) but now I have it and I'm living in Adelaide. I know it'll cost a shitload (only $55 in VIC!) but it'll be worth it.

Ima do it asap.

Just checked, and just as I suspected - $168.00 the application will cost all up. Quite a bit more than Vic's of $55. Dammit.

Nyawell, a rokker's gotta do what a rokker's gotta do! (it's actually easier to change in SA... just have to apply with a bit of identification and within a week - BAM! new name! - VIC made you go into the cop shop with photocopied documents and have a copper sign them and then send away and then wait 5 weeks...)

Goreripper said:
Yes. Shes needs to register her name change with the Registry of BD&M (haha, that's a funny anacronym when you think about it). Then she has to use that as proof when she changes her name on all her other documents. I had to do it when I changed my name.

Sweet, thanks for that. I'll have to hunt them down.

Ah, you're such a new-age bloke, Brian. :)

Why did you take her name and tack it on yours, Brian? Why not just change your name to Fischer rather than Fischer-Giffin?

Personally, I'd be disappointed if I married a bird and she took my surname. Like, it's the 21st century.

Actually Rob she doesn't need to go to the registry at all. All she needs to do is take the marriage certificate to the bank, medicare etc and get all accounts and stuff changed to the married name she wants to use. Costs zilch. That is all I needed to do.

Where were you married, Winnie? I think that is a major factor in how difficult it is to change one's name. If you were married overseas then you'll need to get the thingo from Births, Deaths & Marriages because the name change hasn't been recognised in Australia. Happened with my mam - all her documents (passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate) were stolen a couple of years back, and because she was married in NZ she had to get the thing from here to say that she had changed her name. Or something. I'll ask her next time I talk to her. Took a few months to get everything sorted out.

Then again, if you were married in Australia then I assume there wouldn't be such an issue.