How to get that professional DEEP sound?

Humidfume

Hey guys what's up?

I've been recording a fair bit over he last few months at my place and it just seems that no matter what happens, I'll end up with a mix I think sounds awesome.

Then I'll take it upstairs and compare to professional recordings and to me, one of the major differences is that sense of depth, it's like I have a massive middle and high end sound, with a balanced bass.. so it's all balanced and in proportion.

But when compared to professional recordings it doesn't have the same depth.. it has the punch and the power... but only in the mid ranges, could the shitty Pre's on my desk affect the depth drawn in?

If so then I'll be able to record newer stuff with my audio interface that I'll be getting in a few days (TASCAM 1641)

thanks guys

Joe

I doubt it's your pres, it's most likely your monitors and monitoring environment. They are misrepresenting the low end in your mixes (probably the hardest thing to get right anyway) and causing you to mix bass-light.

In the meantime, you should spend some time comparing your stuff to commercial mixes in your mixing environment and use the commercial tracks to help dial in your mixes.

Honestly the question you're asking is a bit much.
There isn't really a few hints or tips that can really get you to that stage.
It's all just about years and years of experience and practice.
A lot of it very much dependent on the musician's skill. A lot of the power in the low end is the bass guitarist and drummer working effectively.
There's also editing too

It's just something that comes with time man. There's literally hundreds of elements that make up a professional sounding mix and they all have to be working perfectly together. There's so many topics on this forum dedicated to each of these individual elements, and eventually you'll just learn how to make all the parts come together.

hey joe
lol you really gave yourself a bad first impresson with me
but im gunna forgive you and show you this
(EDIT: THIS COMMENT ABOVE IS NOT ABOUT THIS THREAD, ITS ABOUT ANOTHER THREAD)

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html#contents

its the best information iv read

no ones gunna tell you why your mixes suck (im not saying yours do, i never heard any stuff from you, but i can tell your new/mediocre with recording by your posts)
and no ones gunna give you the answer
but there is little bits of information that inspire you to just...try shit out
and you never know

try everything humanly possible, you'll never know what you'll end up with
good luck

hey joe
lol you really gave yourself a bad first impresson with me
but im gunna forgive you and show you this

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html#contents

its the best information iv read

no ones gunna tell you why your mixes suck (im not saying yours do, i never heard any stuff from you, but i can tell your new/mediocre with recording by your posts)
and no ones gunna give you the answer
but there is little bits of information that inspire you to just...try shit out
and you never know

try everything humanly possible, you'll never know what you'll end up with
good luck

Why'd I give out a bad impression man?

and at the other guy, I do currently A/B all the time, but it's just like I can't get the depth.. I'm using Yamaha HS80M Monitors and decent mics.

but anyway, thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the fact y'all jump on it so fast, so thanks for that :D

Joe

Stuff like that brings me down too, its a little bit like depression.

My progresses are sometimes slower. I would love to step to next "levels", but it takes time.

I am very thankfull for this board and the net in general, the people here in my town sit on their knowlegde, little chances to learn from them...

So, take your time and be patient, I try to do the same;)

Thx to Line Level, pretty cool, new bush:)

a little trick to get some tight low end on your kick is to:

sine wave enhance your kick at - i normally go for 40hz

load up an oscillator and set it to output a sine wave at 40 hz constantly. on the same channel set up a gate and side chain it to your kick channel (if your kick is midi cut your kicks output, sent it to a bus and side chain off the kick bus) bring up the level to add some sub low end to your kick -

thats what i do - its a very neat trick

a little trick to get some tight low end on your kick is to:

sine wave enhance your kick at - i normally go for 40hz

load up an oscillator and set it to output a sine wave at 40 hz constantly. on the same channel set up a gate and side chain it to your kick channel (if your kick is midi cut your kicks output, sent it to a bus and side chain off the kick bus) bring up the level to add some sub low end to your kick -

thats what i do - its a very neat trick

And how would one do that... i was reading about that but is there like a tutorial... is there like a specific plugin which makes the sine wave?

There is a lot of good info on badmuckingfastard, but there is just as much (or more) nonsense. I don't have the attention span required to read it all LOL.

Stuff like that brings me down too, its a little bit like depression.

My progresses are sometimes slower. I would love to step to next "levels", but it takes time.

I am very thankfull for this board and the net in general, the people here in my town sit on their knowlegde, little chances to learn from them...

So, take your time and be patient, I try to do the same;)

Thx to Line Level, pretty cool, new bush:)

lol new bush?

Then I'll take it upstairs and compare to professional recordings and to me, one of the major differences is that sense of depth, it's like I have a massive middle and high end sound, with a balanced bass.. so it's all balanced and in proportion.

But when compared to professional recordings it doesn't have the same depth.. it has the punch and the power... but only in the mid ranges, could the shitty Pre's on my desk affect the depth drawn in?

maybe a multibandcompressor could be helpful! :)

cheers
S.

There is a lot of good info on badmuckingfastard, but there is just as much (or more) nonsense. I don't have the attention span required to read it all LOL.

thats why god created ctrl+f

@VeneMorte
Yeah there are loads and loads of things that make a mix sound professional.
Mixing other peoples tracks is usually a great way to teach your ear what is actually good and whats not.

My problem a lot of the time is knowing when a raw input track is good enough that I can make it sound the way I want in my head. This sort of thing all just comes with practice. Eventually you'll trust your own ears judgment on what sounds good. Just remember that ever thing you do in a mix effects everything else in the mix. Its all about balance.

When it comes to depth in a mix reverb is usually the key, but using reverb as a mixing tool and not an audio effect is a fine art, I'd say do some experimenting with it and see what you come up with.

@ masterbeast/wintersnow

what the fuck is that about?
do you even know what im referring to?
if not then shut up if you dont know what your talking about
cause clearly you don't.

And yea, there were some asses that told me to fuck off
but that's cause they got nothing better to do then talk shit
cause someone asked a "dumb" fucking question.

I'm not even insulting the guys question