How to get this guitar sound (The Haunted)

It was probably. the best starting point would be the plug-in ampsim Metal Amp Room, which is an Engl Powerball simulated...with the help of Jensen from the Haunted. Which, by the way, they just updated it so that you can turn their cabinet sim off and use your own impulses with it :kickass:

I tinkered with this plug for a while a few weeks ago and I really think it has potential. Really does sound like a PowerBall, I use to own one. It's like $100-something so it's relatively cheap, but all it does is the PowerBall sound, dirty or clean. It's on my "to-purchase" list...not too far from the top either. :)

~006

EDIT: Didn't know they were still using Peavey on that album, my bad!

Looks nice, will look into that. Tue wrote on his website that he had used it on the new Sirenia album. And that man don't like Amp sim plug ins :heh:

Any other clues?

And that snare is just my type of smack. Really want to make that with a sample. Besides hard compression and eq i don't know what to do to get to that level.

Any tips on that? Maybe some hard hit samples

all against all, being on revolver, was recorded with two 5150s slaved into each other. no powerball on this one.

all against all, being on revolver, was recorded with two 5150s slaved into each other. no powerball on this one.

+1.. they started using Engl's on The Dead Eye, Revolver is 5150.

I found this on their website, revolver recordings:

2004-03-02_revolver_recording_03.jpg

I hope it helps, believe me.....Revolver has my favourite guitarsound of all time.

So they are using a 5150II as a boost for a 5150. Seems like such a waste to me.

Waste of what exactly? Electricity?:p

If it gets that tone recorded, I think its worth it.

I'd like to hear how much of a difference it makes with the slaved amp inserted, never really thought about doing it before.

i tried the setup with my 5150 and my jcm800 2210, using the settings you can make out on the pic above.

guys, if i played in a larger band, with roadies etc who could carry my stuff, i'd DEFINITELY use this setup. crushing tone

can someone post a clip of this in action? it doesn't matter what the amp combo is, i just think it would be cool to hear the effect of the chain. also it might be prudent to post a clip of the amps unlinked.

They use the first one as a preamp into the other as a poweramp.

And I know at least Anders uses emg 81/85 setup in his caparison guitars.

Wrong. If you wanna use the second amp as a power amp you should plug the jack in the return of the amp, not in the input.
Here we have the first preamp that drive the whole other amp (pre and power amp)

Guitar -> 5150 II -> from PRE to 5150 INPUT -> CAB

Wrong. If you wanna use the second amp as a power amp you should plug the jack in the return of the amp, not in the input.
Here we have the first preamp that drive the whole other amp (pre and power amp)

Guitar -> 5150 II -> from PRE to 5150 INPUT -> CAB

Hahahaha, yeah, seriously - I doubt the 5150 and 5150 II have very different (if at all) power amps, so that'd be like slaving an amp into another amp with the exact power section :loco:

It's like a really badass sounding, and huge, distortion pedal basically the way you are using it.

~006