How to growl - STRAIGHT forward

Thomsonrf

Slayer101
Dec 17, 2003
UK Reading
www.chaosincarcerated.com
I read through a few previous threads and theres alot of people saying do it this way or do it that way, drink this or that and no proof that they can actually do it right. (no offense but theres more vocalists doing it wrong than right)

So i'll put some vocals clips on here for myself and Rich (the guy who owns this username) and explain how we both do it.

my clips are at;

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=338R13A4Q2QLA07NI1A9CJZB84

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=20PMZ0NRW46691P2V3OYOBAJV5

I'm no expert, and not that great... but if you think my fundimental technique sounds ok then read on!

the technique i use is very simple but DOES take practise... first off... its LOUD.. The mistake alot of people seem to be making is that they want to somehow sound good without making alot of noise.. but the truth it, your neighbores wil probably hear you if your doing it right.

The second mistake people make is assuming that growls will sound good out of your mouth... they dont.. even the best vocalists sound nothign the same without music behind them. So find a backing track, or simply join a tolarent band on vocals :)

So my basic tips are this... dont be afraid to make alot of noise / experiment / do it over some music

IF you shout at somebody when your angry, your voice naturally distorts... thats what you need to work on...

heres rich's vocals (he's better and knows more about this!)

http://www.myspace.com/richdrumsandvocalsessions

but again he uses his voice loud, over music.. and distorts his voice by pushing his vocalchords with a basic loud shout... then focused it with practise so sound how he wanted..

very simple! but requires work just like guitar or any instrument

Can't download yours.
Your friend reminds me of Behemoth and that's a COMPLIMENT!!
Fuckin' hell, I'll never learn it.
Also, I'm too embarrassed to try to growl really loud, my neighbours are practically always at home.

There's some great tips covered there. I'll say the most important and a widely forgotten lessen is that it should be loud and powerful. When I begun growling I always vibrated the growl without force rather than actually pushing from the stomach. Needless to say, that sounds like shit and does damage at the same time.

stefan86 said:
There's some great tips covered there. I'll say the most important and a widely forgotten lessen is that it should be loud and powerful. When I begun growling I always vibrated the growl without force rather than actually pushing from the stomach. Needless to say, that sounds like shit and does damage at the same time.

You cant say that for gutteral vocals....
Powerful?.....Yes
Loud?......Not so Much....

Yeah, i'm starting to think more and more that that's how Mikael does his growl, but he's the only one (that i've heard) that can pull it off. I like the full force growl the best tho.

:zombie:

I'm actually pretty sure that akerfeldt does'nt do it at the whispering level... Its possible to go as low as he does using the full-force technique which i use, but it takes practise.. I could TRY and emulate what he does using this technique if you want to compare? but it wont be as good as his..

infact i'm certain, when you see him on the dvd right up infront of the mic.. you can tell he's straining his stomach and body to compress his voice.. theres no need to do that at whispering level

andychaos said:
:zombie:

I'm actually pretty sure that akerfeldt does'nt do it at the whispering level... Its possible to go as low as he does using the full-force technique which i use, but it takes practise.. I could TRY and emulate what he does using this technique if you want to compare? but it wont be as good as his..

infact i'm certain, when you see him on the dvd right up infront of the mic.. you can tell he's straining his stomach and body to compress his voice.. theres no need to do that at whispering level

Just set the mic louder. It solves the problem =).
Or do you think those quiet growls sound absolutely different than Haggard or Opeth?

Just set the mic louder. It solves the problem =).
Or do you think those quiet growls sound absolutely different than Haggard or Opeth?

Well... i listened to your vocals, and you've got one aspect of it right in terms of sounding like akerfeldt.. which is your throat "shape".. but you'll never get it to sound like him unless you project your voice.

You need to start shouting :)

Distort your voice by shouting, then use that throat shape and push your voice through it with your stomach.. if that makes ANY sense

If i was doing a gig and somebody who was whispering set the mic volume that high it would feed back like crazy! and p**s me off when i went up hahaha ;)

hehe we'll experiment

are there any kareokee tunes about? i'll try and impersonate him the best i can

Mikael's growls are quite quiet actually, not much louder than talking level. If you see them live, the clean vocals and growls are roughly the same volume - with little or no adjustment from the sound engineers. He's one of the lucky ones who can growl quietly.