How to growl - STRAIGHT forward

andychaos said:
hehe we'll experiment

are there any kareokee tunes about? i'll try and impersonate him the best i can

Let us two make a vocal cover of Opeths "Masters Apprentices" 00:00 - 02:05.

Master's Apprentices

There is a voice calling for me
There is a light coming down on me
There is a doubt that is clearing
There is a day that is dawning
There is a wound that is healing
There is a season waiting for me
There is a road that is turning
There is a fire still burning
A sickness in me
Constant pace towards the end
The need is stronger
This time the need is deeper
There is a peace I am searching
There is a freedom I'm depending on
There is a pain that's never ending
There is a rain falling only on me
There is a dream I am living
There is a life I am dreaming of
There is a death I'm awaiting
There is a home I am deserting

Please no effects at all. :)
I use my technique and you use yours. I know you'll be better but lets see if the difference is that big.

Diskord said:
What about Tagtren? How loud are his vox?

i´d guess his are loud, i saw an interwiev where he was asked if he used much force to "sing like that", his reply was something like, "yepp, defently, and i use my stomach to save my throat"

i wish i was better at english... but oh well.... i will try to explain something here that i don´t know the word off.....

When i growl, a certain way ( i have 2 techniques that i use, well actually 3 but the third just sounds so insane that it´s just ridicoulus) the thing in the back of my throath, that i don´t know the word off, is flopping around like crasy.... You know that thing that hangs down from the top off your throat? looks kind of like a bag... if you have watched tom and jerry you know how it looks like when tom screams, thats the way it looks like when i growl that way. This way of growling is very beefy, but i can´t seem to get the right amount of distortion if i don´t push my voice pretty hard, and that hurts...

The second way i growl, that bag sort of "draws" in, or back in my throat, so it stays perfectly still. the sound of this growl is VERY distorted, and sounds fucking beastly, but it´s not as beefy, i can use the same tecnique to do dani filth kind of high pitch growls, but also get down to akerfeldt lows. And this one is pretty much at speaking level, a litle over sometimes, and it doesn´t hurt a bit! it feels kind of nice actually to do it.... makes you feel powerfull:p

Anyway, i can´t decide wich one to use, and practice more at....
how i wish i could take a peek down akerfeldts throat when he growls to se if that bag is flipping around..... ohh

yeah im wierd

Let us two make a vocal cover of Opeths "Masters Apprentices" 00:00 - 02:05.

Cool ok :D

i'll do that later on today... You'll get a chance to hear my vocals RAW so you can get a better idea of what i do.

andychaos said:
Cool ok :D

i'll do that later on today... You'll get a chance to hear my vocals RAW so you can get a better idea of what i do.

That's great =)
Can't wait to hear them.

Well I already did my vocal cover of Masters Apprentices a couple of hours ago. As I said before: There are no effects at all on it.
But as the challenger I have the privilege to post at last =).

I wait for Andy to post his growls.

i think i am doing it wrong, it hurts my throat after a coupla lines of a song, is there anything im doing wrong? cause i dont wanna mess my throat & voice up.

also i run outta air pretty quick cause im pushing hard, how do you solve that?

You should be running out of air because you are growling and it takes exertion.

As for your throat hurting your doing something wrong I think because your growl should come more from your stomach and less from your throat.:headbang:

If the throat hurts, you're doing it wrong. Use your stomach, take some deep breaths before growling long lines. Drink some warm water or warm milk too.

It's really hard to explain, but a lot of the sound doesn't come straight from your throat. Push from the part of your stomach right below your ribcage when growling. Just try various things until you find something that feels natural (it shouldn't hurt), drink lots of water, or maybe tea with honey, but avoid milk and beer. You'll get it eventually.

I'm having doubts about my previous thoughts on this... my efforts sound nothing like akerfeldt and it sounds bad when i try to emulate his voice!

I'll stick with doing my own thing haha

andychaos said:
I'm having doubts about my previous thoughts on this... my efforts sound nothing like akerfeldt and it sounds bad when i try to emulate his voice!

I'll stick with doing my own thing haha

I see then I'll post my stuff.
Cortex' Masters Apprentices

If you think you're still better without the whispering technique, feel free to post your version =)

Cortexon said:
I see then I'll post my stuff.
Cortex' Masters Apprentices

If you think you're still better without the whispering technique, feel free to post your version =)

im not wanting to sound like a dick cos i cant growl at all but was that supposed to make me laugh? or...