How to tune a snare?

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
How do you usually tune the snare, expecially the relation between top and resonant heads?
I don't like the "pan" snare sound of lamb of god but I like a more low and full sound, without too much resonance (for example, hatesphere,the haunted and dagoba)
What about the kick? How do you usually tune the heads?

Thank you very much

I'd recommend checking out the drum tuning bible. A lot of good free info. Just google it.

Chris Adler used a 12" snare....so you shouldnt have a problem getting a lower snare sound than lamb of god.

I've already seen this video...but he doesn't explain the difference between the 3 alternatives (higher top, same pitch or higher resonance) and of course, he doesn't play metal.

Honestly the best way to learn is to try yourself. Its not something you can really teach. I still find it the hardest drum to tune (toms are easiest, then kick.. snare is a bitch probably because the one I'm using it like 15-20 years old). It does help a lot if you take the snares off, tune it up, then put the snares on. Otherwise the snares get in the way of the tone.

Thank you for the answers.
Of course I'll experiment but I'm curious about your preferences.
I read the drum tuning bible..very interesting. It advices to tune the resonant head to the lowest pitch it can go and the batter higher. Bob Gatz advices to tune the resonant to a note and the batter some note higher.
I know everyone has his way to work, but I need a little starting point :)

Seriously, buy a DrumDial. It has been one of the best investments I have ever made.

I usually tune my Sonor 14" snare to about 70-75 on the top, and about 65-70 on the bottom and as long as the batter head is decent shape or new, it sounds great and have found it works quite well for almost any snare I've thrown at it.

http://www.drumdial.com/

I find that a DrumDial is only good if you've already found a tuning you like, and you need to be able to retune quickly.

I tune the resonant pretty low, the batter fairly high, and then slap on some moongel if it's needed. Gives a nice feel without loosing all the bottom end.

I find that a DrumDial is only good if you've already found a tuning you like, and you need to be able to retune quickly.

Agreed, it's most useful for making a note of what you've tuned to that you like and making it easier to get back there after a head change, etc. But being able to accurately say "Ok, all lugs on this bastard are at 70", is still a huge time saver as far as getting 90% there without using your ears exclusively and tapping the head near the lugs for half an hour.

I own a Tama Tension Watch and I don't really dig it. All of a sudden, AFTER I bought it, I started really tuning with my ears haha... if I had only done that before instead :( I never need to use it these days. Last time I tuned my drums, which was last summer (haha, now that's a while ago) for the little project I did solo, I tuned the heads to have the exact same pitch. I think I got this from Bob Gatzen actually, and it doesn't matter if he doesn't play metal. What matters is what sound YOU want, not what sound metal SHOULD have. If I had gone by the "metal standards", I probably would have tuned it to JAW (Just Above Wrinkles) like most guys who can't tune drums do, because it always gives a fat but dead sound.

Tuning them to the same pitch gives a nice full sustained sound but no annoying ringing. The ringing comes from differently tuned heads I guess, but when they're tuned the same, it's delicious. Only drawback is that you probably should fine tune your drums pretty much every other week to maintain the pitch or it'll drop over time (In studio, you might have to even fine tune them after every song or something).

Also, another thing I was very bad at in the beginning was to hear the actual pitch of the drums. There's the overtones/harmonics and the fundamental tone, but it was very distracting and confusing as to what to listen to and what to tune after. I then realized and learned to listen after the "overall tone", which is the fundamental tone for me. The bassy tone, not those ringy overtones, fuck them. When I learned to locate that tone, I could tune all the heads to the exact same pitch with pretty good precision. The overtones could still be different from one screw to another, but the fundamental tone was to me, the same. Then I proceeded to play the kit and wow, did it sound professional or what :)

Dave Weckl has done some good tuning videos also. He does fusion, but you can still get some pointers there.

I prefer if the toms are tuned with the resonant head slightly higher so that there is a pitch dip and less overall resonance. What Nordstrom did on Clayman and Sweet Vengeance are my fave tom sounds. Sounds like JAW to me... but hey, I guess that's because he's just another guy who can't tune drums ;)

Well we all have different tastes of course, but JAW for me as a drummer is like using impulses on guitars in studio. Some people love it, it can sound good, but then there are those guitarists who would disagree and say impulses do not deliver the whole spectrum etc, and it's the same thing for me and JAW tuning. JAW tuning basically eradicates the purpose of having a tom, you could just get a telefon catalogue and hit it and mic it up :)

Well we all have different tastes of course, but JAW for me as a drummer is like using impulses on guitars in studio. Some people love it, it can sound good, but then there are those guitarists who would disagree and say impulses do not deliver the whole spectrum etc, and it's the same thing for me and JAW tuning. JAW tuning basically eradicates the purpose of having a tom, you could just get a telefon catalogue and hit it and mic it up :)

Okay in that case I don't mean JAW but very low/loose tuning.

It's hard to know how low you mean when we're just typing over a forum, but I agree that a low tuning is nice, warm and fat. But there is a certain threshold when the tom stops acting like a tom and just goes "thump", which I personally don't like. A tom needs to have SOME sustain for crying out loud :D But generally, JAW tuning is more or less just a thump with no sustain at all, which (I'll say it again) kinda eliminates the purpose of the drum all together.

Some people do like that thump sound though... and some people do love amp sims and impulses so... guess it's impossible to say that one way or the other is right or wrong. And no matter how much you/I/we like a sound, there's always gonna be an (most likely even greater) amount of people that think the opposite =)

As for the kick drum though, a thump is usually what is needed! I have yet to hear a "modern" metal band using a kick drum that sings... fuck that is just awful. And to get that tuning, all you gotta do is tune the batter head down pretty much JAW, same thing with the resonant head, make sure to have a hole in it off to the side (if it's in the middle, you can kiss the bass bye bye), and probably stick a little dampening in there to soak up the "basketball" sound that occurs in many bass drums if there is no dampening. A nice fluffy pillow works okay, since it needs to soak it up, not reflect it around. I can't give much tips on the snare because I have never gotten a sound that I REALLY liked from the snare (never gotten a bad sound either, they've just been OK most of the times).

This thread wasn't aimed at toms though, from what I see in the OP.... how we did end up on toms is something I don't know but I know where this thread might end up when it officially goes off-topic :D

It's definitely a fine line. But I think very low tunings for metal work quite well.

As far as the 'basketball' phenomenon in kicks goes... I have a nightmare trying to find the right balance of 'liveness' and muffling! Usually the more muffling I use, the more dead and carboard-like the kick sounds, and the less muffling, the more of that weird phasey, internal reflection sound you hear.