How to use a $5 usb gaming pad as a studio controller

seems pretty useless to be honest. Its a cool concept that would be awesome to apply to maybe something other than a game controller, but keystrokes would be ten times more efficient than using the mouse and controller together. Awesome idea though!

Hell yeah I've done this before. I bought and installed XPADDER ($10) and routed my wired Xbox controller to it and began mapping functions. But to be honest I hardly use it. However it is cool to have and just show off for clients every once in a while. ;)

What about a wireless keyboard ?

If you have an smartphone, you can control your Daw over wifi for basic controls, as well.

Good idea anyway, although cause I suppose you already owned your controller.

What about a wireless keyboard ?

If you have an smartphone, you can control your Daw over wifi for basic controls, as well.

Good idea anyway, although cause I suppose you already owned your controller.

Compared to all of these, the gamepad is absolutely the fastest and most comfortable solution.

I'll demonstrate with a simple scenario:

I'm not satisfied with the take I just did, and I want to do another take from the same place.

1. Hit stop (space)
2. Undo (ctrl + z)
3. Go to the left locator (numpad 1)
4. Hit record (*)

Yes you can do this under a second if you're sitting with a keyboard in front of you. But it's a different story when you're standing up in a cramped vocal booth with a mic stand in front of you.

When I press "L1, X, TRIANGLE, CIRCLE" on the pad, I'm doing the same exact function in a fucking NANOSECOND :headbang: ...not to mention that I don't have to change my position, leave the vocal booth, reach for a controller or anything. The fact that you can hold the controller in your hand while performing makes the setup super efficient. I can't imagine any way you could be this fast with an iPhone or a wireles keyboard.

Also, since I was the kind of kid who liked to play video games, using the controller is really, really comfortable. You can arm record on different tracks, mute and solo, scan through different tracks, start recording from one place and listen to the take from another etc. Yes, using a pad when you're on your keyboard is totally pointles. BUT if you're a performer, need to be a distance from your computer while performing and haven't got the extra money to pay some dude to push start, stop and rec, using a pad is UNBEATABLE.

I know you can do macros in pretty much almost all DAWs except Bro Tools, so alternatively you can buy a wireless keyboard, make a macro of all that stuff, map one(1) key to that on the keyboard and you are ready to rock again in just one keystroke.

cubase_macro.png

You can do macros for a pad too, so that isn't really making a keyboard a better solution for the situation I explained.

You can do macros for a pad too, so that isn't really making a keyboard a better solution for the situation I explained.
why not? You have a whole lot more keys than those of a PS controller. You can even print key stickers and paste them over the keyboard keys for easier recognition.

why not? You have a whole lot more keys than those of a PS controller. You can even print key stickers and paste them over the keyboard keys for easier recognition.

Like I said, this solution is useful only when you have to record your own performance from a distance. You just can't hold a keyboard in your hand if you're in a booth recording vocals. Wireless keyboard is a lot more expensive than 5 bucks. You'd also have to change batteries from time to time.

When it comes to work flow, I take pride in being as fast and efficient as possible. Reading bunch of stickers from keyboard keys isn't my idea of being efficient. My way of working is about learning all the basic commands and being able to operate the daw with precise control. It should feel like playing an instrument. This is how I use my keyboard and this is how I use the pad.