Hypnotize/Mesmerize

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
Ok I know a lot of geezers on here don't like SOAD but you are also the same people that refuse to give Julio his rightful place at the best lead singer of Anthrax.

Can I just say this.

Mez/Hyp is my Album of the year.

SOAD are just the best band in the world right now. (Yes Anthrax are still my fav though).

Here me out as to why I say this.

They so remind me of FNM back in their glory days.

I am not talking sound wise but rather just the fact they keep reinventing themselves and do the unexpected with their music. You can't categorize them and put them in a simple Nu Metal genre coz they are so far removed from that genre its not funny (don't laugh !).

They are just brilliant. From their brilliant melodies to their little diddies to all out blast beats and the clever and sometimes confusing lyrics.

And I will make a big statement - in 20 years time these guys will be looked upon as the big 4 were back in the early 80s. They are easily the best thing to happen to metal in ages after all the recent Nu Metal shite.

LOVE IT :headbang:

Ok let the flaming begin. :wave:

Oh yeah hope all you americans had a nice thanks giving!

I strongly disagree. I can't stand these albums. The first SOAD album is a masterpiece, they used to be amazing but now they have gotten more mainstream and are going for some coin. The newer shit doesn't even come close to comparing to the s/t album material. Toxicity is pretty good too, but if I never hear the newer stuff again it will be to soon.

I have always hated their politics though.. especially after 9/11. These guys were born and raised in los angeles and act like they are some poor armenians

i like a couple of there songs,just like most bands these days i couldnt possible listen to a whole saod album i none sitting,the singer annoys the piss outt me.

aliasp said:
SOAD are just the best band in the world right now. (Yes Anthrax are still my fav though).
Here me out as to why I say this.
Interesting...I've thought the same over the years. Not similar to FNM, but there is something there that reminds me of them. Fuck, FNM are sorely missed...

I also love Mez (haven't got Hypnotize yet). I sat through the fucking MTV fucking Euro VMAs just to watch them play.

ironmaidenfan09 said:
These guys were born and raised in los angeles and act like they are some poor armenians
No, they don't, they've simply taken up Armenian political issues; if you want to read it that way, fine.

ironmaidenfan09 said:
These guys were born and raised in los angeles and act like they are some poor armenians
Actually, only one of them was born in LA. One of them is from Armenia, and the other Two were born in Lebanon.

aliasp said:
First. all of FNM days were glory days!:tickled:
Yeah, you're right though, they reinvent themselves with every album. Musically though, they have a pretty big "Bungle" influence, while always maintaining their own sound.
I totally believe that SOAD is one of the best bands to surface in the last ten years easilly.

well i agree with aliasp totally........ system of a down are the best band on the planet right now, cant think of any band around thats as inventive/creative and arent limited by what they do at all..... those who call system nu clearly dont know system of a down very well.....bout the only new ( in the last ten years) band that i have really got into in a major way

mesmerise/hypnotise is hands down the best album of the year ( close second to clutch - robot hive/exodus tho) ,tho i need to give hypnotise more listens ....only heard it a few times so far cos i only got it at the weekend, but its awesome....mesmerise might have the nod on it tho....

system are just one of those bands who people love or hate i guess, their politics aint gonna help a lot of people get into them esp in america, personally i love their political stance, wish more people saw the world that way........sigh...... and considering only a small percentage of their songs are political its not too much to bear if you dont agree.......good that someone picked up a torch that rage left behind

sure i'll get pounded......(adopts south park voice) " if you dont like america then you can geeeeet ooooout !" ;)

lokey said:
well i agree with aliasp totally........ system of a down are the best band on the planet right now, cant think of any band around thats as inventive/creative and arent limited by what they do at all..... those who call system nu clearly dont know system of a down very well.....bout the only new ( in the last ten years) band that i have really got into in a major way

mesmerise/hypnotise is hands down the best album of the year ( close second to clutch - robot hive/exodus tho) ,tho i need to give hypnotise more listens ....only heard it a few times so far cos i only got it at the weekend, but its awesome....mesmerise might have the nod on it tho....

system are just one of those bands who people love or hate i guess, their politics aint gonna help a lot of people get into them esp in america, personally i love their political stance, wish more people saw the world that way........sigh...... and considering only a small percentage of their songs are political its not too much to bear if you dont agree.......good that someone picked up a torch that rage left behind

sure i'll get pounded......(adopts south park voice) " if you dont like america then you can geeeeet ooooout !" ;)

These are my favorite albums of the year as well. Though I think I prefer Mesmerize, but I obviously only just got Hypnotize. What I don't understand is people who think they've become more mainstream. In fact, their sound has become even more strange, complex and original. Hell, some of Hypnotize reminds me of Captain Beefheart on speed, especially with some of the dada lyrics

Stealing Society on the new one is just brilliant :worship:

ironmaidenfan09 said:
I have always hated their politics though.. especially after 9/11. These guys were born and raised in los angeles and act like they are some poor armenians
actually, the drummer lived in Armenia, and survived bombings and attacks

yeah i dunno why people are saying they are more mainstream....the only thing i can think of is that now when they release stuff people notice and they hit the top 5, and i guess therefore must be mainstream....

cos like you say they are as diverse, creative and insane as ever....you cant argue that spiders is less mainstream than chop suey or b.y.o.b. or any other system song......

i defo need to give hypnotise more listens to compare it to mesmerise, right now ..... kill rock n roll and stealing society are the stand outs for me, sure that will change the more i listen ;) but those two absolutely kill

s.o.a.d. are a bunch of faggots!!!
yeah i know they ve done something new in metal history and i apreciate
it,BUT they speak about revolution and anarchy and all this fuck the system attitude and this fuck the usa trend.IF THEY ARE REAL REBELS AND FIGHTERS AS THEY SAY , WHY THEY LEFT ARMENIA AND CAME TO U.S.?WHY THEY DIDNT JOIN THE ARMENIAN REBEL TROOPS AND PREFERED THE U.S. DREAM?
when they came for a concert in Greece supporting SLAYER about 5-6 years ago they said -the tour continues to Turkey but we are not going there because the Turkish army has killed armenians.- what the fuck is that?
spreading hate and racism.what about the turkish soad fans?
i dont think they have the same opinion with their army/
ah fuck it.
they dont worth so much intention
(thats why most of greeks threw them couplke of bottles on stage)
thats what they worth.
p.s. billy milano forced me to wrote this im innocent!!!!!
\m/ \m/DDDDRRROOOOKKKKKK iiittttttttttt

Spreadingthe Living312 said:
SOAD sucks and anyone who worships them, I condemn them to an eternal assfuckage. I'd rather listen to some Destruction. :headbang:
Who fucking pissed in your Cheerios, dude? Or are we supposed to be impressed by your "attitude"?

efkarpos said:
when they came for a concert in Greece supporting SLAYER about 5-6 years ago they said -the tour continues to Turkey but we are not going there because the Turkish army has killed armenians.- what the fuck is that?
spreading hate and racism.what about the turkish soad fans?
Dude, don't you know about the controversial Armenian Genocide of 1916 (year?), perpetrated by the Turks (officially recognized by the EU and the US)? System have taken up this cause, so it stands to reason that they wouldn't go to Turkey.

The range Serj has deffinately reminds me of Patton. Especially on King For a Day which IMO is the best FNM album ever. I have problems with the new music simply because the intelligence of the lyrics have plummeted and i still have to get used to the guitarrist singing more frequently. I like him more as a screamer or backup. Like Scott Ian. He doesn't have range but as backup and harmonization it's a perfect addition. And yeah it's realy weak and faggy to step up and have the balls to confront the US government. Thats so how i picture any fudge dipper.
I haven't listened to the newest album aside from the song they have a video for. wanna hear some real rebelious badass metal? listen to Pro-Pains new album.
-Jono-