Hypocrisy,Soilwork Corona 6/5

artificialreasons

Fear, pain, hatred, power
Apr 4, 2002
Norco, Southern California
Visit site
My oh my, i can't believe these bands came out to the tiny showcase theater(my band has played there before!) but they did, so lets get on with the review.
Hypocrisy-id only heard roswell 47 before their set so i wasnt sure what to expect, well i was impressed. lots of droning guitar riffs and scary vocals(not to mention the lead singers frightening appearance), overall good stage presence and a very good band.
Soilwork-these guys just seemed to steal the show, everyone was calling their name when the opening bands played. ive heard complaints about their stage presence but it seemed good to me, and they sounded great. strid is an excellent frontman, he really got the crowd going. they even played a couple songs off one of the older albums(chainheart). like the average stalker was great, as was needlefeast. the only song that i was dissapointed with was follow the hollow because he didnt sing all the lines(when he goes from a death metal growl to a scream back and forth).
Killswitch Engage-although these guys were somewhat nu metal and the bass player looked like he should be in new found glory(not to mention the powerman 5000 looking guitar player and the other one wearing a collared shirt) these guys seemed to really get the crowd going and had the craziest pit. not bad although not my cup of tea.
Scar Culture-pretty cool, although the N.Y. hardcore influences are a little too strong for my tastes...they seemed to play out of time on some of the fast riffs, ive heard reviewers complain about this before(over at metaljudgement.com)with them, probably my least fav. of the night but still not bad
Single Bullet Theory-I had no idea who these guys were but wow did they rock. very thrashy but with catchy songs and some clean vocals thrown in the middle of screams, plus they all had really long hair which is always a plus.
all in all a great metal night!:headbang: i bought A Predator's Portrait after Soilwork's set and i must say it smokes! anybody else go to the show?

Damn it, I want to hear the new Hypcrisy, although I have never been the biggest fans of theirs, new alvbum has caught my curiosity for some reason. maybe it's because the lack of good metal lately. Even if you don't listen to Hypocrisy you know they're talented enough to always put some good metal out there.

GLENN