I don't like the Swedish language, yet...

Nico16 said:
My sister also has to study in a foreign country for at least one semester...she wants to go to denmark. That's crazy! - even here, in the northern part of germany the weather is bad enough - I've had enough of this damn rain and wind and stuff.
I heard that the northern Germans speak a different form of German than in the south of the country. If this is so, what's the difference?

Naturens Galleri - Gallery Of The Nature (somewhat very incomplete) :Smug:

A caveopening is --- dark and gloomy
in the stonestructure of the mountainside.
By the --- of the glimmering---
my look is fastened by it's architecture.
There lurks ---forces
the willpower in a ---
Which plunges towards deep shafts
and rinses veined tracefossile.

Wherever my look is ---
it's beauty blows my mind in ---.
Like an cold underground moon,
blends a mountaincrystal.
Wide cracks greedy mouths
Are portals to the marrow of the earth.
Run around by ---rich colour,
a studio in an obscure mountain.

Along narrow passages towards the heart of the depths
under the beautiful gothic of the roofs.
Which is --- by --- metals
in images, in perfect esthetic.
Drippstone-sculptured beings
shrine-laid in safe keep.
Formed in the --- of ---
Over the --- mirror-clear.

The gallery of nature
Is like a fantasy,
and the eden and home of the mystic.
The gallery of nature
--- trollish utophy.

Oyo said:
No!

It won't be a chore :D

I'm working on learning it now, not very far in though ehe.

I'm just listening to dialogues with translations daily, every day a few more words "stick", then once a lot of words stick and such i'll start reading swedish sites and get more words to stick. Once lots of words stick i'll know it pretty well :D Won't be too hard I hope, it'll just take a long time.

Gary Coleman är.... .. Gary Coleman :D

i know this has been asked 1000 times before, but - do you download those dialogs from the net? if so - could you post the link?
I just know one page that has sound, it's 8Sidors - a newspaper. but it loads so badly, and you can't save the sound to the hd....

Magnus7 said:
I heard that the northern Germans speak a different form of German than in the south of the country. If this is so, what's the difference?

its just dialects from what i understand. For example, my german prof told me that in the Hamburg area, they do not pronounce an h after the s that preceedes a consonant in words, so when they say "sprechen" the sp is like the way english speakers would say it, while in like frankfurt they would say it like "Shprechen"

if i can find out any more ill let you know

Thats a very nice translation Draugen , tho somewhat incomplete its good!. :) , and to you people learning swedish, good luck to you all , ive heard that our language is one of the most difficult to learn o_O

//Rei..

If only it were more readily available in U.S. schools like English is in European schools. The only languages I've ever been able to take have been French, Spanish, and German (which would have been great to have learned but I was too busy drinking and making bad noises with my guitar in high school). My nephew's school actually teaches Japanese and he really digs that.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
they've at least got beaches and palm-trees and everything!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not what it's cracked up to be.

I used to live in Kansas City, it got cold in the winter and what not there.

Then I got excited when we moved to Florida, I said same thing 'Yay the ocean and palmtrees!'

Get here, humid as fuck, gets too hot, annoyingly hot 3/4 of the year. I'm not a fan of the beach, maybe you would be, but I hate getting all sandy and salty. Palmtrees, wohoo, interesting scenery change for a month.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in southern Italy and I've seen in my whole life only 3 times snow (in my city), it's normal that on my vacation I prefer to go on mountains and where it's colder, I can see sea, beaches, sunny days whenever I want

Magnus7 said:
It is more than different- i myself am from austria, just a bit further south - still german language but not understandable for people from northern germany if i speak local dialect.
Even in my own country i have no chance of getting a single word from people living west and close to switzerland.
The reason is just based on history: The Germans, a nordic tribe settled the continent from the north (oc hehe). It needed around 100 years until the language reached the area around the alps and ironically the first peoples´ movement in europe already started at this time, so the romans settling from the south mixed up with the nordic germans. This even steadily continued until the 16 th century and made the alps something like a north- south barrier languagewise (well, in fact a real barrier without tunnels, cars and airplanes) and the area in between (bavaria, austria, switzerland) a meltingpot for both influences... going into detail switzerland even had a 3rd from france - thats why they have 4 official languages in a 5 million ppl country (and they can be proud if it).
But the Northland has a very similar history in fact concerning Finland and the asian origin of its language.

Oh well, I guess I'll tackle Swedish first and then worry about German. Even though I find the origins of the different dialects fascinating, I know that I'll never be able to learn them all in my lifetime. Right now I'm in the mentality though that with all the different languages in the world, it would be a shame to know only one. Thanx Gerald! :D

You just stick to the path you are atm... there is so much to explore in this world and if you are interested in exploring you have found a mission for your life.
A very satisfying and fulling one btw.
To quote Ovid :" Aurea prima satast etasque vindice nullo sponte suas sine lege fidem [..]" - bet i have at least 5 spelling errors there as my latin has been rusting in the cellar for more than 10 years now :)

Aah, about languages!
I'm studying Nordic languages at the Helsinki university for the second year now.. Swedish is the universal language we use at 'Nordica' (the name of the faculty), and we have native teachers in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Islandic, courses in Faroese are held by the teacher in Islandic.. Next summer I'm possibly going to travel to Faroe Islands for 2-4 weeks to get my studies further also in practice..

Somehow, my english is fruktansvärt poor för fan; I understand what I read and hear, but can't produce it so fluently myself..

Frostheim said:
Aah, about languages!
I'm studying Nordic languages at the Helsinki university for the second year now.. Swedish is the universal language we use at 'Nordica' (the name of the faculty), and we have native teachers in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Islandic, courses in Faroese are held by the teacher in Islandic.. Next summer I'm possibly going to travel to Faroe Islands for 2-4 weeks to get my studies further also in practice..

Somehow, my english is fruktansvärt poor för fan; I understand what I read and hear, but can't produce it so fluently myself..
Wow, you are truly lucky my friend. That all sounds very interesting. What do you plan to do after you get out of school?

BTW, thanx Gerald for your words of encouragement! :headbang:

Magnus7 said:
Wow, you are truly lucky my friend. That all sounds very interesting. What do you plan to do after you get out of school?

University degree of mag.phil. it'll be, I'll strive for getting job that has something to to with linguistics and naturally all that I've been studying; researching languages and their development, and perhaps some freelance jobs in teaching, assistance and/or translating at universities and schools in addition.. Det skall vi se då :)

Magnus7 said:
Well, that's right...but it's almost like every part of the country has it's own dialect. Even some cities have a whole language of their own, like Cologne for example ;) iAMtheblackwizards' prof is right when he says that in the Hamburg area the "sp" is pronounced differently - but it's not like everybody there does it ...it's more like tradition; in most cases the older people will talk to you that way.

no idea in which of the various Swedish language threads to post this in, so I'm using the first one that crossed my way. Can some Swede or any other capable person fill me in on the following:

from what I've learned, "stängt" is "closed". Now why did I see "stängd" with a "d" at a check-in desk at the airport? That confused me. (and yes, I have nothing else to worry about :p )

Gaunerin said:
from what I've learned, "stängt" is "closed". Now why did I see "stängd" with a "d" at a check-in desk at the airport? That confused me. (and yes, I have nothing else to worry about :p )

It's about 'en' or 'ett'-genus of a word..

For example:
en dörr (a door)
--> Dörren är stängd.

ett fönster (a window)
--> Fönstret är stängt.

Thanks, I should have known that actually. Ok, so once again I made a fool out of myself :rolleyes: Obviously I so far only closed neutrum words I guess, hehe. But I still don't get why at every shops door it reads "stängt" then.... en dörr, en affär, en butik.....what's the mysterious neutrum that's stängt there then?

You only inflect the adjective if it's in predicative or attributive use (as Frostheim demonstrated above). If all by itself and referring to a state something is in, then it comes in the t-form, the neutral form (which is the neutrum form) in this case. Similarly, you could find a sign reading "öppet" etc.

Interesting course of study you're doing, Frostheim. I'm especially interested in diachronicity and the development of languages, too, and am currently teaching the history of English at university.