I don't like the Swedish language, yet...

Somber Soul said:
If all by itself and referring to a state something is in, then it comes in the t-form, the neutral form (which is the neutrum form) in this case.
I understand this. That's why I was surprised to read "stängd" instead of "stängt" (see my first post).......anyways.....I'll lay this to rest as a mysterium ;)

Somber Soul said:
Interesting course of study you're doing, Frostheim. I'm especially interested in diachronicity and the development of languages, too, and am currently teaching the history of English at university.

Aaargh, 4 hours last night translating the bunch text that I wrote in swedish to danish.. o_O :tickled:

I'm very interested in syntax and constructions, ethymology + history, dialects and phenomena of languages.. :hotjump:

Frostheim said:
Aaargh, 4 hours last night translating the bunch text that I wrote in swedish to danish.. o_O :tickled:

I'm very interested in syntax and constructions, ethymology + history, dialects and phenomena of languages.. :hotjump:
I wish I had your resolve! Oh well, I've been told that after a few beers I end up speaking a different language anyway - maybe it's Swedish? :loco:

Hehe, usually I like to speak swedish and danish when being clear, but everytime after a few beers I end up speaking ONLY danish and singing nordic folksongs :tickled: :tickled: :tickled:

PS. Now drinking: Velkopopovicky Dark -beer \,,/

since we have some people here studying nordic languages, can i make a question?

is there any ancient name for the months in swedish? because "januari, februari, mars, etc" sound too way latin to me...

old german had different names, therefor i suppose swedish should have had them too.

are they maybe still in use in another nordic language?

MetalMarianne said:
is there any ancient name for the months in swedish? because "januari, februari, mars, etc" sound too way latin to me...

Here ya go =)
http://www.viking.no/s/life/n-kalender.html

Names were about the same style, you can't make bigger differences between nordic languages in the Viking Ages, because... (see below) >>>

MetalMarianne said:
old german had different names, therefor i suppose swedish should have had them too.

...every germanic language has it's origin in the original ancient germanic language, nordic languages are only the northern part of the language family and are based on "norrøn" or "old noose".. Swedish as it's own language started to form in 800-1000 A.B. Along with christianity started Latin to influence on germanic languages as well as the "new religion" started to incluence on old germanic traditions and culture..

MetalMarianne said:
are they maybe still in use in another nordic language?

Nope.. But Finnish that belongs to fenno-ugric languages, has it's own names for months, except "joulukuu" (something like "christmasmoon" in english) = december, which was called "talvikuu" = ("wintermoon") before christianity *spit* came and changed the old Finnish tradition of midwintercelebration to "a bunch of jewish oddity"..

And here is about the calendar system of the vikings, although in norwegian..
http://www.viking.no/s/life/n-kalbak.html