I finally got it!!!

Illnath

Feb 10, 2004
Denmark
I bought a copy of Pale hunt Departure two days ago in a music store. After all this waiting i finally got it.... I think it's really great, and the cover art is some of the best I've ever seen. My favourite song is Collapse of the Falling Thore.

So when you guys go on your European tour don't forget Denmark... :)

Novembers Doom is differently one of the best American bands out there

Wow, that took a long time!!! How did things go with the previous releases of ND? Did you have to wait like a year before the stores in Denmark got the copies?

In this month's release of the "Aardschok" metal-magazine there finally was a review of TPHD. I will look it up and post it in English on the forum; I'm at work right now so I'm supposed to be busy with other stuff, haha.

I'm still waiting to get To Welcome the Fade, I don't think it has distribution here :cry:

I bought The Knowing from a online music store, I believe it said it was a imported cd..

O.k. as promised above; the english translation of the review of TPHD in the dutch Aarschok Metal Magazine. Issue of august 2005:

With "The Pale Haunt Departure" the American Doom-metalband Novembers Doom have delivered their fifth album. Untill now each album was better than it's predecessor and also this time Novembers Doom have outdone theirselves.
Maybe it's because of the fact that Dan Swano lend a hand with the mix. No-one less than producer/guitarist James Murphy did the mastering. Musically Novembers Doom is still on the same course. Fans of My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, Opeth or Candlemass should surely listen to this album. One great song follows up on the other. Nicely agressive, very dark, loveley passionate en destroying everything. Album of the month for me.

This review was done by Anita Boel.

I guess it is a nice review; though again those eternal comparisons are made. It's just because the magazine tries to introduce people to ND that never heard of you.

Speaking of one of the bands she points out in her review;...I am listening to the new Opeth right now. I can tell you it's a masterpiece with reverences to early Opeth and the later Opeth. I like this album more than the "Deliverance" album, because the vibe includes all the things that makes "Blackwater Park" the best Opeth-album for me till this one (Ghost Reveries).

I guess you should judge for yourselves!!

Sorry to bring the subject of Opeth up on this forum. I'd like to point out that, for me, Opeth has nothing to do with the music Novembers Doom makes. Still I am very enthousiastic about this album and I just want to share that. If you like Opeth; it's a "must buy."

No no, make no apologies for talking about Opeth here, none of us are Opeth haters, quite the contrary!! I love Opeth, I think they're a great band and I have seen them play live many times, and I love hanging out with them on occasion and getting to just shoot the shit with them too, they're really nice people! I really don't ever want to give off the impression like we have some beef against Opeth just because we sometimes question certain reviewers tactics in comparing us with them. In fact, I don't mind being compared with them at all, or when people say "Opeth fans will like Novembers Doom", because hell I take that as quite a compliment! The only thing that rubs us the wrong way is when people accuse us of ripping off Opeth, because that's just not true. I'm inspired by the fact that they are playing a similar kind of music as some of ours and making such headway with it, but we aren't sitting around copping their ideas and style, we just happen to share some similar musical ideals and goals, etc. Anyhow I've said all that before plenty of times. Point is, we love Opeth and support them fully, and if people find similarities between our music and theirs, thats okay with me, as long as people understand that being similar doesn't automatically mean that we're stealing from them either. That's all!

Yeah I'm anxious to see how the new Opeth album fares, I think it's going to do very well for them, for which I'm glad. I think this album is going to be interesting, because even before people have heard one note of it there's alot of detractors expecting it to have alot of shortcomings, due to their choice of record label, and just general jealousy due to overexposure. I think they'll likely gain alot of new fans with this album, and if some of the old fans can't hang with it anymore, oh well sometimes that's just how it goes. I wish Mikael and co. the best of luck, I think this new album is likely to wind up being No. 1 on most people's favorite cd lists of 2005.

I am an Opeth old fan and I don't like the new song !!! :)
So my number 1 in my favourite list is for the moment the Pale Haunt !!!! Yeah

About the distribution I bought some years ago 'the Knowing' edition of Pavement records and it was not so nice like the original edition of Dark Shymphonies. And with the $ so cheap compared with the euro, I think is better to buy directly from the End Records.

In fact, the 2CD edition of 'To Welcome the Fade' costs 9$ !!!!! Man, about 7/8€ for that masterpiece. I have the two editions of course :)

Septembers Marc said:
I am listening to the new Opeth right now. I can tell you it's a masterpiece with reverences to early Opeth and the later Opeth. I like this album more than the "Deliverance" album, because the vibe includes all the things that makes "Blackwater Park" the best Opeth-album for me till this one (Ghost Reveries).

I guess you should judge for yourselves!!

Sorry to bring the subject of Opeth up on this forum.

Just a friendly reminder, the Opeth CD is not officially out yet, so any discussion of their CD would be based on a downloaded version of the CD. Opeth has shut down their forum because of this, and Mike and company being friends of ours, please keep the opinions of the new CD off of this board until it is officially released. Just a bit of respect for the band please.

Yes, what Paul said, I second that :)

I think, from my personal perspective, that there was plenty of reasons to shut down that forum, though I can't say that these reasons are why it was in fact shut down. Just my personal opinions really....For one thing, alot of people on that forum were very rude and disrespectful not only to each other but to the band. It's okay to voice your opinions on things but many people would get offensive and even make negative comments about Mike's wife. I'm sorry but I wouldn't stand for that shit myself. There were alot of cool people there as well, don't get me wrong, but that old saying about letting the rotten apples spoil the whole bunch holds true. I pretty much stopped going there because it just got so ridiculous with the shittalkers and the large quantity of elitists who looked for every opportunity to knock other people down. Add to it the fact that people were doing things like the aforementioned illegal downloading/trading of the new material, bootlegs, etc., well it just seemed to have gotten a bit out of hand. You have to realise that, while the band puts up the forum for the fans to enjoy and talk on, it's still THE BAND'S forum, meaning it's theirs to do what they want with it, and they can close it for whatever reason they feel is right. People going onto their forum and talking shit about them, or towards them and their friends and families, and trading illegal files, is sort of like going into someone's home and insulting them and openly selling off their personal goods you stole from them right there, haha. Same goes with this forum here. We're paying for it to exist. What goes on here does matter to us because it reflects us and our band and our music, and we've created it as a means to be able to communicate with fans and friends, and we're always open to discussion and debate. But if it was to get out of hand and become insulting, and became more of a source of stress than fun and relaxation for us, then it goes bye-bye. That's just how it is. And I think you're going to start seeing this occur more and more with bands, because the internet has unfortunately opened the floodgates for every mouthy rude piece of crap to be able to "make their voices heard". People say bands shouldn't let it get to them, and should be more laid back about it, well that's their opinion and thats fine. But bands have alot of bullshit to deal with in this business as it is, without having to worry if their forum is becoming a haven for shittalking, personal insults, and illegal filesharing of music that's not even supposed to be heard yet.
Luckily for us, we have alot of good people here at this forum, who might not always agree or share the same opinions or ways, but generally everyone respects each other enough to behave decently about it, and I really hope it stays this way.

Anyhow it seems to me that there's still enough forums and mailing groups and such related to Opeth that people can still be able to sign on and discuss their favorite band if they want to. And people are free to come here and discuss Opeth with us too if they like, because I like Opeth as well. But yeah, let's keep the discussion about the new album to a fair minimum until it's officially released, out of respect for them. I'd want the same done for us if the shoe was on the other foot. :)

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
No no, make no apologies for talking about Opeth here, none of us are Opeth haters, quite the contrary!! I love Opeth, I think they're a great band and I have seen them play live many times, and I love hanging out with them on occasion and getting to just shoot the shit with them too, they're really nice people! I really don't ever want to give off the impression like we have some beef against Opeth just because we sometimes question certain reviewers tactics in comparing us with them. In fact, I don't mind being compared with them at all, or when people say "Opeth fans will like Novembers Doom", because hell I take that as quite a compliment! The only thing that rubs us the wrong way is when people accuse us of ripping off Opeth, because that's just not true. I'm inspired by the fact that they are playing a similar kind of music as some of ours and making such headway with it, but we aren't sitting around copping their ideas and style, we just happen to share some similar musical ideals and goals, etc. Anyhow I've said all that before plenty of times. Point is, we love Opeth and support them fully, and if people find similarities between our music and theirs, thats okay with me, as long as people understand that being similar doesn't automatically mean that we're stealing from them either. That's all!
Yes, both bands have their own distinct bologna metal style! :D :Spin:

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Luckily for us, we have alot of good people here at this forum, who might not always agree or share the same opinions or ways, but generally everyone respects each other enough to behave decently about it, and I really hope it stays this way.
QUOTE]
EXACTLY! ;)

I don't visit a lot of forums. Actually; this is the only forum I frequently post and visit. I've posted on the Anathema-forum on occasion and on the Opeth-forum once or twice. I didn't even know the forum was shut down.

Anyway; I can't really compare between forums and I don't know what's going on. The Novembers Doom forum is great in my opinion, because the people that use this forum are cool. And the bandmembers themselves do frequently visit and post here and that's an unique opportunity to get in touch with them!

I only managed to get TPHD yesterday (more because of skint-ness than it being hard to get i guess), and have only had time to listen to it properly once. Before i had this, the only ND album i had was "Scluptured Ivy...", which i love. From what i've heard of TPHD so far...it's excellent! good job lads!

As far as the opeth forum goes....im actually quite glad u guys talked about it here, as i've just got back from holiday and was gonna ask what the hell had happened to it :p I'd only started posting on it recently, and even then not that often (the only forum that i visit very regularly is the ayreon one, but i think i may be spending more time here after hearing the new album!), but was gutted (and very confused) when i didn't see it on the list anymore.
Are they going to open it again once the new album is released? (i haven't even heard the song they've officially previewed yet...as i quite enjoy the suspense of waiting until it's released before hearing the whole album ^_^)