i hate bonus tracks

Mr. Josey Wales

UGA student
Apr 13, 2004
athens, georgia
i hate it when i buy a CD and its got three stupid bonus tracks, that werent on the original CD...

when i listen to a CD, i like to listen to it all the way through, and then let it start over again....

i.e. caravan - ITLOTGAP, has 5 bonus tracks...jeez.

i hate hearing circle of tyrants at the end of MAYH...so annoying

does anybody HATE it when your buying a CD or something, and they put on those blasted BONUS tracks???!!!

i idont give a F***, i just want the ORIGINAL CD.

ok im done.

Mr. Josey Wales said:
i hate it when i buy a CD and its got three stupid bonus tracks, that werent on the original CD...

when i listen to a CD, i like to listen to it all the way through, and then let it start over again....

does anybody HATE it when your buying a CD or something, and they put on those blasted BONUS tracks???!!!

ok im done.

it is possible to get these originals, but they cost alot.

I know how you feel.

When I wanted to finally get MAYH last year, I really didn't want the bonus tracks on there, so with a bit of a search I managed to get an original American copy from the record label Century Media. And it was only US$8. Quite suprised. And very happy.

-btw, what's everyone's problem with Isolation Years anyway? And Weakness, too? Both great tracks imo.

I hate bonus tracks too, but most likely this thread will generate a lot of "lol ur CD player has a fast forward button wtf nub?!" responses because some people here cannot grasp the fact that it is annoying to have to intervene in your music listening experience just because some record label decided it was fun to tack 3 unreleased crappy demo tracks (that were unreleased for a reason, usually) at the back of an otherwise good album.

I mostly rip my CDs to mp3 so I just modify my playlists to take out those tracks and put them seperately if I ever want to listen to them (which I rarely do). I think even just on principle it's stupid to change the contents of an album over time, especially when it's done to add a bunch of stuff to it that does not at all fit into the context of the rest of the album. Just as how it's stupid when directors start messing with their old films and re-releasing them with modified/new scenes. Music is (for the most part) art, and art should not be messed with. If the record label really does have some stuff worth hearing that they want to put out then they can always just include a bonus disc or something. I have no problem with that.

wwallinga said:
I don't mind covers (Circle/Remember are nice) but I hate demos.

i think it just ruins the mood of the album, when a song thats not supposed to be on there comes on. if your laying on your bed listening to MAYH, and the last song finishes then you have to suffer through the bonus track, instead of the cd calmly coming to a stop leaving you amazed at the spiritual experience you just went through.

i dont know, i guess im just a big fan of listening to CD's all the way through without having to skip tracks or fastforward until the CD is over. that is the mark of a good album. and bonus tracks ruin it! :mad:

I'm 100% with you on that.

The best exemple I can think of My Arms, Your Hearse re-release. Bonus tracks cannot be more "out there" than this.

this is honestly really silly :Smug: if the CD player I had like 8 years ago allowed me to program tracks, I imagine that feature still exists in modern devices?

then skip the track or stop the album

which brings us to:

but most likely this thread will generate a lot of "lol ur CD player has a fast forward button wtf nub?!" responses
so you're listening to MAYH, and Epilogue is ending... you obviously just sat on your arse or layed down for an hour straight to "immerse" yourself in the music... and you can't hit Stop or skip the tracks?

program the tracks then, why can't you do that? was that feature done away with or something? program the tracks and put Repeat All on... there... it'll play the original album the way it's meant to be played... then it'll skip the tracks you didn't program and play the original album again, as many times as you want...

do you rip the CDs to your computer? then don't rip the bonus tracks... or put them in a different folder... or don't include them in your playlist

I'm always for the band and label cramming everything they can into what I'm getting, obviously... I'm paying my money for it...

House of Seance said:
which brings us to:

so you're listening to MAYH, and Epilogue is ending... you obviously just sat on your arse or layed down for an hour straight to "immerse" yourself in the music... and you can't hit Stop or skip the tracks?

program the tracks then, why can't you do that? was that feature done away with or something? program the tracks and put Repeat All on... there... it'll play the original album the way it's meant to be played... then it'll skip the tracks you didn't program and play the original album again, as many times as you want...

do you rip the CDs to your computer? then don't rip the bonus tracks... or put them in a different folder... or don't include them in your playlist

I'm always for the band and label cramming everything they can into what I'm getting, obviously... I'm paying my money for it...

Why even reply when you already know what I am going to say? I already answered every single 'point' you so eloquently bring up. But hey, if you value quantity over quality that's fine by me. It's not going to change my opinion that bonus tracks are for the most part annoying, worthless and do more harm than good to the overall quality and listening experience of an album (though I'll admit there are exceptions).

They could fix the problem by adding a track at the end of the original that is a minute or so of silence.

I like more music for my money, so I don't complain.

Mr. Josey Wales said:

ok im done.

no. i couldnt agree ANY less. ESPECIALLY with that example album you gave. "i dont know its name" is maybe one of the best bonus tracks ive ever had the pleasure of hearing. Its a song that fits the album perfectly and SHOULD have been on that album in the first place. If you have a problem, hit the seek button to start it over. I cant imagine the retarded mindset you kids have with not wanting more music by the band youre listening to.

blablabla, i want what the band intended to be on the original CD. i dont want to hear anything more or less. if you want to add shit, put it on a bonus disc.

sometimes people only like that one CD of the band, and none of their other stuff, so they wouldnt want as much music from that band as could fit on a compact disc, they would simply want to hear the motherfucking album the way it was meant to be when it was recorded goddamnit.

Most bonus tracks I know are crap actually. like, you have just listened to this really awesome album and then after that there aresome mediocre bonus tracks that just don't fit in.