i hate bonus tracks

Yeah the "more music = better" mindset is utterly retarded. But hey, whatever floats your boat. That would maybe hold true if bonus tracks were of the same quality as the rest of the album and fit in, but more ofter than not they aren't and don't.

Yes maybe bands should remaster like Porcupine Tree or just collect them in a CD for collectors. That must be the final solution.

Some bonus tracks are awesome and fit the flow as well, sone well don't.

Halford - Crucible is a great example of how bonus tracks should be done though... There's like a minute of silence before the bonus tracks.

CAIRATH said:
Why even reply when you already know what I am going to say? I already answered every single 'point' you so eloquently bring up. But hey, if you value quantity over quality that's fine by me. It's not going to change my opinion that bonus tracks are for the most part annoying, worthless and do more harm than good to the overall quality and listening experience of an album (though I'll admit there are exceptions).

saying "quality over quantity" is bullshit... having bonus songs on a CD doesn't make the songs preceding them shittier

and no you didn't answer anything whatsoever actually

more music is ALWAYS better, there's no logical point against it... you get the album you bought... plus more if you want to listen to it

movies are released on DVD with bonus footage, bloopers, deleted scenes, commentary, etc... you're going to tell me that's retarded too? that there's extra stuff on the DVD to watch IF YOU WANT TO? just like bonus songs on a CD?

House of Seance said:
saying "quality over quantity" is bullshit... having bonus songs on a CD doesn't make the songs preceding them shittier

If the bonus songs are shitty (which they often are) it makes the overall album shittier.

House of Seance said:
movies are released on DVD with bonus footage, bloopers, deleted scenes, commentary, etc... you're going to tell me that's retarded too? that there's extra stuff on the DVD to watch IF YOU WANT TO? just like bonus songs on a CD?

Except unlike bonus tracks on a CD they do not automatically get inserted/attached to the movie. A better comparison would be if a movie that was released in the 70's had a bunch of scenes added to it (like the Star Wars movies for instance) when it re-released years later. Plus watching a movie is a completely different experience to listening to music. You don't generally repeatedly watch a movie over and over.

Most directors are wise enough not to fuck with their creations, most painters sure as hell don't take a painting they made ten years ago and suddenly start adding things to it, the same should go for music. An album is a document of the time when it was released and it should remain intact as a single piece.

But apparently none of you "lolz more music is better" people can understand that (even if you disagree with it). More music is not always better. Especially when it's mediocre/bad music being added to an otherwise great album. The fact that you can skip it or turn it off doesn't change that.

I don't like 'bonus' track as such, especially with remastered classics, but with most bands now they are great. PT are a good example, but I do wonder why! they can surely be a part of the album in their own right, and not tagged as a bonus.
It is hardly a bonus when you buy the album, to have the last track stated as such.
Hmm. it is maybe a vein attempt at marketing, although I am sure it doesn't work. If it is good, then it is good.

Mr. Josey Wales said:
blablabla, i want what the band intended to be on the original CD. i dont want to hear anything more or less. if you want to add shit, put it on a bonus disc.

sometimes people only like that one CD of the band, and none of their other stuff, so they wouldnt want as much music from that band as could fit on a compact disc, they would simply want to hear the motherfucking album the way it was meant to be when it was recorded goddamnit.

yea, i think it makes so much more sense to increase the cost of the album for the band AND the buyer to have a whole extra bonus disc so that snot nosed noobs like you dont bitch about free bonus tracks being on albums they should have purchased 5 years ago in the first place to have the studio only format you claim you want. good call. :Smug:

Mr. Josey Wales said:
more music doesnt necessarily equal good music.

dur....moor musik is bettre..

Quality over Quantity dipshit

to each his own though. :Spin:

coming from the guy mentioning ITLOGAP as his example. some people are morons.

edit: and i love how the negative bonus track approach is predominantly coming from the people who only have about 200 albums tops, most of which are probably metal releases. fucking laughable.

whiniest. thread. evar.

Yes, you have to push a button. What a hassle. <==sarcasm
Imagine the days of hand cranking your phonograph. :yow:

NineFeetUnderground said:
yea, i think it makes so much more sense to increase the cost of the album for the band AND the buyer to have a whole extra bonus disc so that snot nosed noobs like you dont bitch about free bonus tracks being on albums they should have purchased 5 years ago in the first place to have the studio only format you claim you want. good call. :Smug:

wtf are you talking about? i already have ITLOFTGP on vinyl...they shouldnt have bonus tracks PERIOD. id rather them be on a separate disc if they DO have them, but i don't want them AT ALL. it doesnt make sense to make me pay more, because there shouldnt be extra shit on there anyway. forget about it, all you can think of is that one example. that was probably the worst example of all time to use for you. that might be a rare case where there is an exception. but OVERALL generally, you have to admit, bonus tracks suck ass and are annoying.

"coming from the guy mentioning ITLOGAP as his example. some people are morons."

im using that as an example as to the absurdity of adding 5 songs onto the original....they may be good songs, but thats besides the point...im illustrating the general rule of record companies who tack on 3+ bonus tracks which could be good or bad.

btw, noone is wise, noone is perfect. everyones musical progression is different, its all relative. every human is capable of error. you seem to be blinded to the reality of the possibility of your own ignorance. which is the key to being wise. :)

Braighs said:
whiniest. thread. evar.

Yes, you have to push a button. What a hassle. <==sarcasm
Imagine the days of hand cranking your phonograph. :yow:

if you see room for improvement you press forward, that is the key to progression, don't become complacent.

"stop whining about having to pick all that cotton manually"

eat a dick.

Mr. Josey Wales said:
wtf are you talking about? i already have ITLOFTGP on vinyl...they shouldnt have bonus tracks PERIOD. id rather them be on a separate disc if they DO have them, but i don't want them AT ALL. it doesnt make sense to make me pay more, because there shouldnt be extra shit on there anyway. forget about it, all you can think of is that one example. that was probably the worst example of all time to use for you. that might be a rare case where there is an exception. but OVERALL generally, you have to admit, bonus tracks suck ass and are annoying.

"coming from the guy mentioning ITLOGAP as his example. some people are morons."

im using that as an example as to the absurdity of adding 5 songs onto the original....they may be good songs, but thats besides the point...im illustrating the general rule of record companies who tack on 3+ bonus tracks which could be good or bad.

btw, noone is wise, noone is perfect. everyones musical progression is different, its all relative. every human is capable of error. you seem to be blinded to the reality of the possibility of your own ignorance. which is the key to being wise. :)

YOU are implying that im ignorant when it comes to albums? and you want more examples? im about to tap dance all over your face with this...you sure you dont want to forfeit now and save face? dont fucking challenge NFU...THAT is the key to being wise...

The only problem with bonus tracks is when they suck...but that's not a problem with bonus tracks as such, just that they havn't been done well. That would be like claiming that cds are a stupid format just because most major record companies put out alot of shit albums.

Just listening to Gentle Giant - The Power & The Glory the other day. Excellent bonus track there. Might go for some Jethro Tull - TAAB today...hey, another great bonus track (12 min live version)! Top it off with some Camel - Moonmadness perhaps (the bonus version of Preparation/Dunkirk convinced me to buy The Snow Goose). Annnnd throw in some Porcupine Tree - Deadwing for dessert, with a lovely Shesmovedon bonus track right at the end.

Geez, those record companies, trying to give me all this extra music...how dare they!

Mr. Josey Wales said:

So....noone is wise, yet the key to being wise is following your advice? :lol:

NineFeetUnderground said:
dozens and dozens of albums with quality bonus material...this kid is absolutely absurd...most albums have non bonus track versions at some point anywhere. OR JUST FUCKING PUSH STOP.

Why do you torture yourself so?

I actually agree with NFU. Record companies are giving us music for free guys, quit your bitching. If you don't want bonus tracks, search around for the versions without them and if you can't find them or are too lazy, rip the mp3s to your computer, then burn the original songs to CD. Just like hitting the stop button, it's not that hard.