I have a theory on Opeth...

I'm gonna have to agree with that. I am a musician, and can play along with much Opeth, but I think the thing that draws people is their amazing songwriting. Their music, while technical, isn't amazingly difficult to play, but to write like Opeth does takes a gift.

I can play drums and guitar and also a little piano (but rarely does anymore), but I don't really feel that some music is "musicians music". My biggest idols at the moment are Lee Hazlewood and John Barry and most of their stuff is pretty simple (especially John Barry). When I hear a song that I like I don't really care if the riffs are really easy. If I like it, I like it. As simple as that. It can of course be a benefit for the music if the musicians are good. For instance Metallica's songs could maybe have been better if Lars wasn't such a loser at drumming! As a drummer myself I can hear if the drummer sucks or not. I think it's important that the drummer play something that fits the song, no matter if it's difficult to play or not. I don't think all Metallica's songs cry out for the first rhythm a drummer ever learned, which is the thing Lars plays all the time.
But anyway, it's hard to say if I would have liked Opeth if I couldn't play guitar or drums. I was listening to stuff like Iron Maiden and Guns N' Roses when I started playing drums and guitar. When I still played drums more or less everyday I also listened to Joe Satriani and he has some of the easiest drums I've heard in rock and harder stuff, but the music is still good.

As much as you'd hate to admit it, not all amazing musicians are into Opeth. :rolleyes:

But yes I am :lol:

I don´t know if I would concider myself a musician, I have a guitar and I play it once in a while. And no I don´t think Opeth attracts more of people that play instruments, but I can understand how you could come to that conclusion cause there are alot of able musicians who frequent this MB. I don´t they sum up the fans in general...

On another related note, Do you think that people that listen to metal are more likely to pick up an instrument than people that are into music that isn´t so technical? Would the strumming in Coldplay or Travis push you to go and learn to play the guitar or maybe the solos and riffs of Rust in Peace?
I grew up listening to AC/DC, Megadeah, Metallica and later Dark Tranquility and I always dreamt about being able to play some of that stuff. My guitar hero was always Angus Young of AC/DC. When I was six I used to do his signature jump, kicking one leg forward ( i think he stole that from Chuck Berry) while listening Razors Edge and playing luftguita, Ohh the memories...

Originally posted by Mayh
I don´t know if I would concider myself a musician, I have a guitar and I play it once in a while. And no I don´t think Opeth attracts more of people that play instruments, but I can understand how you could come to that conclusion cause there are alot of able musicians who frequent this MB. I don´t they sum up the fans in general...

On another related note, Do you think that people that listen to metal are more likely to pick up an instrument than people that are into music that isn´t so technical? Would the strumming in Coldplay or Travis push you to go and learn to play the guitar or maybe the solos and riffs of Rust in Peace?
I grew up listening to AC/DC, Megadeah, Metallica and later Dark Tranquility and I always dreamt about being able to play some of that stuff. My guitar hero was always Angus Young of AC/DC. When I was six I used to do his signature jump, kicking one leg forward ( i think he stole that from Chuck Berry) while listening Razors Edge and playing luftguita, Ohh the memories...

Opeth is without a doubt not only for musicians, but for tasteful people in general. I think it's a bonus to either be a musician or to have a good bit of musical knowledge, because that helps in appreciating a different aspect of Opeth's genuis, but there isn't any prerequisite to listen to Opeth other than to know good music when you hear it.

Only a musician could understand the true art of Opeth music to the fullest extent. I used to listen to poser metal before I started playing guitar. Now I'm listening to Opeth because, as a musician and songwriter, this music gives me more than anything else could.

I think musicians have extra reasons for listenin to some of this stuff.. Opeth and other metal bands.. Like I have played guitar for about 7 years now.. Sometimes I will fall out of practice.. then when I hear a really inspiring peice of music it makes me want to take out the guitar and play again.. Opeth has done this.. Old IF did this when it came out.. Winds has recently done it.. when I hear really good guitar I want to play it.. it challenges me..

Originally posted by Ibsen
Only a musician could understand the true art of Opeth music to the fullest extent. I used to listen to poser metal before I started playing guitar. Now I'm listening to Opeth because, as a musician and songwriter, this music gives me more than anything else could.
It's funny how this board denies narrow-minded elitism over and over again.

Originally posted by Wolverine
I've noticed most musicians or people who can play an instrument are very much into opeth. ;)
Replace 'opeth' with 'metal', Replace 'instrument' with 'guitar/drums' and replace "very much" with "more likely to be into" and then your statement is closer to right.

Mainstream music is lyric/vocals focussed. So musicians will be attracted to music where the music is more important. ie Metal/Jazz/Classical/etc.

I dont think Opeth are particularly any different than any other similar metal bands in how much musicians would like them. Of course theres other things that will allow more people to like them (clean vocals, acoustic sections, etc) as opposed to grind or something, but that doesnt really come into it.

Is it Opeth?
Or is it just this board that attracts musicians?
Or perhaps a lot of people here are just lying about playing an instrument? I don't think we can ever be sure, unless everyone starts to post sound clips of them playing... it's the only way we can be sure people are being honest here... In addition members who live close to eachother will need to verify that they have seen the other person playing an instrument. I'm sure there is a lot more I am forgetting about... but this is a start and probably the only way we can even begin to understand this intricate puzzle.