I have found a band that's as good as OPETH

Originally posted by simonc2
Why does every one like katatonia, the most predictable and boring music I've heard in a long time. It belongs on MTV.
tsss, instead of making your opinion on the albums you heard, you better go for the last one Last Fair Deal Gone Down. Certainly not boring. and its good!!!!

LFDGD was certainly better than Blackwater Park and Deliverance (heck - combined). Katatonia I find tends to write more cohesive albums as well. However, I do generally prefer Opeth's use of dynamics and Mikael comes up with some great themes (although they aren't always put together in the greatest way).

Are Katatonia proggy? I heard some stuff of theirs a while back, it seemed kinda ho-hum, emotional and all, but the mood didn't vary a whole lot within tunes.

Maybe I just heard their crappy stuff of something, I dunno.

How proggy are they?

On a scale of 1 to 10, if (good) Yes/Genesis is a 10, Opeth is a 7.5, and most country music is a 1x10^-666 (hehe), what would Katatonia be? I don't think I could handle anything less than a 6.

Satori

Well six it is then!

Don't limit yourself to prog, that is not Katatonia's thing, I would say there are elements, but I would say dominantly their song structures are simple yet effective (on their recent output) but carry an emoltional substance that is hard to be equalled, it is mood music.

I highly recommend Last Fair Deal Gone Down

if Yes were a 10 on the prog scale, I would say Katatonia is more like a 1 or very generous 2. Not to put them down, but theirs is extremely simple music not much different from the abhorred country Satori mentioned (in that, I mean regards to structure/complexity-- on both micro [riff] and macro [song] scales).

I've only heard brave murder day and one later album, but I doubt their others are very different. Mood music is the best you could say for that band-- though i wont deny people's love for a certain type of melody/progression, albeit inexcusably overused for me.

Originally posted by kuraikat
if Yes were a 10 on the prog scale, I would say Katatonia is more like a 1 or very generous 2. Not to put them down, but theirs is extremely simple music not much different from the abhorred country Satori mentioned (in that, I mean regards to structure/complexity-- on both micro [riff] and macro [song] scales).

I've only heard brave murder day and one later album, but I doubt their others are very different. Mood music is the best you could say for that band-- though i wont deny people's love for a certain type of melody/progression, albeit inexcusably overused for me.
The only Katatonia release that sounds close to BMD is the Sounds of Decay EP.

I'd certainly call the changes in their sound progressive.
Dance of December Souls- For Funerals to Come - Brave Murder Day - Discouraged Ones - Tonight's Decision - Last Fair Deal Gone Down, certainly inhibit great changes in sound between each.

Listen to Dance of Decembers Souls for prog elements, there are great changes in mood and style within songs.

Originally posted by Blackout
Katatonia is an awesome band ! One of the more emotional bands out there, IMO...

Their lyrics are incredible too... I can't wait to hear "Viva Emptines !"
:devil:

ahahahaha!!! you think their lyrics are good?!?

bwwatahahagagafgsafhgsffasdf|!!1

Not to mention that Mikael Åkerfeldt writes the lyrics to Opeth in the studio, as an aftherthought. He admits the lyrics don't mean much to him. Hence the clumsy grammar and spelling errors that riddle many of their songs.

You can tell that Renkse and Nordström have considered every word seriously. Find lyrics on par with Brave, Quiet World, Deadhouse or Right into the Bliss on an Opeth release. Not to mention their grasp of the english language is far superior.

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
so, I take it you prefer lyric writers than dress everything up in frilly words and fancy metaphores (read: wankers ;)), as opposed to lyric writers that are bluntly honest.

:p

ahem, sorry but this is exactly what katatonialyrics are. I mean theyre not bad, but theyre are written in a poetic way (=wanking). Now Kurt Cobain is bluntly honest for example. or Jewel or Sepultura.

Originally posted by Mariner
ahem, sorry but this is exactly what katatonialyrics are. I mean theyre not bad, but theyre are written in a poetic way (=wanking). Now Kurt Cobain is bluntly honest for example. or Jewel or Sepultura.
What are you talking about? Katatonia lyrics are extremely blunt. Dance of December souls was quite pretentious (not as bad as Orchid), but everything they've written after 1994 has been very naked.

The only album I own by them is Brave Murder Day. I only got that for obvious reasons. I have to say I found it somewhat boring but my main complaint is the AWFUL drum sound. The snare is irritatingly "soft" and it just does nothing for me at all. Maybe they have better albums, but not even Mikael's vocals can make that album do much of anything for me. As far as them being AS GOOD as Opeth...I kinda doubt that.

Originally posted by Beth
Don't know about this because I just got it....but I think "Passing Bird" and "Sweet Nurse" are my LEAST favorite songs...the rest are great......
"She's got black hair, and she has got a black dress...".....:confused:
haha, I just laugh....

I'm glad somebody else mentioned that! Embarrasingly bad moment. The song works musically, but those lyrics, LOL. Beyond self-parody.

Sometimes singer Jonas sounds like Robert Smith of the Cure in a BAD way -- affected, thin, warbling over-emo. But when he's on and singing with his full natural voice, though, I love it -- rich, genuinely emotional, hooky. My faves are "Chrome" & "Teargas," with several others like "We Must Bury you" and "Don't Tell a Soul" growing on me exponentially.

"Tonight's Decision" is good too, but not as many stand-out tracks and too many Cure-like moments for my taste. "Brave Murder" has Mikael, but yet to grab me musically.

Think I'll get the new one, 'cause LFDGD is by far their best I've heard and show they're maturing into a top-class rock artist. To me, they excel at guitar texture, song arrangement, vocal hooks, & overall dynamics & drama.

BTW, I do dig some Cure, but not Katatonia-style.

Katatonia are amazing. First song I heard by them was Brave and then I heard For My Demons and I'm thinking "what the fuck????" they sound like two completely different bands yet are always equally impressive. I highly enjoy Katatonia but to say they're better than Opeth... heh, I wouldn't go there. :p

Whoever predicted Katatonia would carry on the style of Sweet Nurse style songs and have a chance at radio play will be proven wrong. This is definatly the most threatening sounding music they've played since Sounds of Decay. If LFDGD was a man hanging himself, Viva Emptiness sounds like he's out to kill his girlfriend.

Originally posted by Ormir
Whoever predicted Katatonia would carry on the style of Sweet Nurse style songs and have a chance at radio play will be proven wrong. This is definatly the most threatening sounding music they've played since Sounds of Decay. If LFDGD was a man hanging himself, Viva Emptiness sounds like he's out to kill his girlfriend.

Well-said. I just checked out the clip on their site. Kickass.

Now I'm doubly anticipating this release.