I need new music

Just give any of Devin Townsends solo albums a go. He just makes great mellow music. Terria is a good place to start

Blackhorse_Experience said:
Ok.. I've been listening to the same stuff for a while now and I need some new music suggestions. I had a thread like this about progressive stuff but I'm lazy and didn't write down the band names. I think NFU recommended some (Nektar, Van der graaf generator). I forgot that the damn search function was gone and I cant look up my old posts. So.. I would like some suggestions not only in prog, but also some new death and black metal, and even some rock or pop that is good.

Right now I don't know much about the whole prog scene. I have some Floyd, Camel, Yes.. stuff like that. What else should I get? Stuff that I wont have to go searching like crazy for on eBay or something..

I've got tons of death but lately I have been disappointed with many of the albums I've gotten. My fav death bands are Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Decapitated, Nile, Crypstopsy, Morbid Angel, etc etc. I need some good new death.

As for the black metal, I like old Arcturus and Ulver, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor.. and thats about all I really enjoy. Mayhem and Burzum are ok at best to me. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places, but the other BM stuff people have recommended to me is just terrible (Gorgoroth). What should I check out?

And as for pop and rock. I like Porcupine Tree like most of the folks here as well as a bunch of classic rock and stuff. I was told to check out Pineapple Theif and some other bands like that? What do you guys think I should check out? Any recommendeations in these genres would be appreciated..

Prog: Into Eternity, Watchtower, Tool, Dream Theater, Yes

death metal:

Carcass
Hypocrisy
Kataklysm
Krisiun
Obituary
Psycroptic

Black metal:

Aura Noir
Nahemah
Abigor
Borknagar
Mirrorthrone

prog:

Änglagård
Frank Zappa
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Soft Machine

In Flames(old)
At The Gates
Mastodon
Amon Amarth
Iced Earth(old)
Arch Enemy
Arsis
Insomnium
Farmakon
Darcane
Nounema
Daylight Dies
November's Doom

Orphaned Land is indeed great. I got Mabool but I didn't mention it cause that other guy did.

I'm listening to Tristania - Beyond the Veil now that someone recommended (already had it downloaded)

and I download some Unexpect, its pretty corny but good at the same time :p

You know, I'm surprised that you being into Emporer and other bands, you haven't checked out Celtic Frost. Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, and Into the Pandemonium pretty much defined all the music you listen to, in terms of hard and extreme metal and the orchestral stuff. They influenced Opeth, as well as Emporer and some other contemporaries.

Hit my link below.

Definitely these...

ænimated said:
Agalloch - Pale Folklore [black metal/folk/doom]
Taake - Nattestid ser porten vid [black metal]
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora [black metal]
Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane [black/death metal]

and I would also add

Enslaved - Isa (phenomenal black/viking metal!)
Wyrd - Huldrafolk (folk black metal)
Windir - Arntor (epic folkish black metal with accordions)
ISIS - Panopticon (art sludge)