I need some advice from experienced guitarists

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
OK, ive been playing guitar for about a year and a half, but recently, i decided to start learning lead guitar style. I was wondering, what guitar solos would be somewhat difficult, but easy enough for me to learn that could really help my ability?

im not talking about super easy solos like, smells like teen spirit, i mean like, by the pain i see in others difficulty of solos, not too hard, but not too easy.
any suggestions?

Whole Lotta Love was the first solo I learned...
Not terribly difficult, but It involves lots of bending and and other techniques you need to built to play lead.

I think Forest of October is a good solo to start with. The fingering is pretty straightforward, and allows the player to concentrate more on clean picking and speed. You may have seen some UM members cover it, notably Moonlapse, so If you want to see a visual reference, those files should be around somewhere.

Good luck!

EDIT: Forest also has some tapping, a part that can be sweep picked, as well as a pinch harmonic, so its a good practice run as well.

yeah, i was thinkin of learning TGC solo, but im gonna have to build up tapping speed, cuz thats a lil faster than i can do. as for the other solos, i'll check em out

Well if not the TGC solo, then I'd second Justin's suggestion. The Forest of October solo is the first one I learned, and I'd started learning it about a year into my playing - so it should be right up your alley. Although keep in mind that the reason you do learn solos is to improve your playing. So you should be looking for ones that contain parts you can't play yet.

Justin S. said:
EDIT: Forest also has some tapping, a part that can be sweep picked, as well as a pinch harmonic, so its a good practice run as well.

sweeping and pinch harmonics are a cinch for me, my downfall though is tapping, cuz i barely do that.

A lot of Opeth solos are usually quite easy. Wreath and Master's Apprentices have easy ones.

I agree with the Forest of October solos. They are good fun to play, and you just get the best sense of satisfaction when you get them down. I suggest also Windowpane and Blackrose Immortal.

Solos from Windowpane are mid level. Lots of "feeling". Need capo at 2nd fret. Some of my favorite inspirational soloists have been: Randy Rhoads, Steve Lukather, the guys from Iron Maiden, the guys from Judas Priest, Gary Moore, Robin Ford, John Sykes, the guys from Queensryche, Angus Young, Steve Stevens, Walter Trout, the list seems to go on forever...

Goober said:
OK, ive been playing guitar for about a year and a half, but recently, i decided to start learning lead guitar style. I was wondering, what guitar solos would be somewhat difficult, but easy enough for me to learn that could really help my ability?

im not talking about super easy solos like, smells like teen spirit, i mean like, by the pain i see in others difficulty of solos, not too hard, but not too easy.
any suggestions?

Back in the late '80s when I was a youngin' and played the guitar everyday I took lessons once a week from a real good teacher who showed me what scales are and also gave me some brutal practice exercises to do everyday.

Learn the E-Minor scale - It's on a ton of metal.

I then proceeded to learn Metallica's Master Of Puppets and Ride The Lightning backwards and forwards. It's really a great album for you and a friend to jam to and learn from. Not too hard, yet still has some great interesting stuff that will carry over into your playing later on. Man will you have a ball on stuff like Orion, Disposable Heros and Leper Mesiah! Me and My best friend would both play different parts of each song and jam every day after school. Great times.

........ until we both got steady girlfriends :tickled:

I hardly play at all these days, but back in my early twenties I used to shred with all the rest of the Metallicats =D I wish I still had the time and patience to practice and play. These days I just keep an old fender acoustic in the living room to pick up and noodle with from tiime to time and my Ibanez rg550 pretty much stays in the case.

Play now while you're young and have all the time in the world to screw around!!!!! :tickled:

Pseud0 said:
the leper affinity isn't too hard. Fun to play too

OK, this is where i need to draw the line, at one point in time i attempted to learn that solo...this solo is a little out of my league, TGC however, ive almost got that one down, i havent quite tried the forest of october solo yet because the power tab site was down earlier. But just so you people have a better idea on my skill level, solos on wreath and leper affinity...sorry, thats a no-can-do. However, windowpane seems easy enough, i tried that one earlier today and it seems like i could learn that solo in time.

I think all the Opeth solos aren't hard to play.....the Deliverance solo is great and a lot of fun to play cause there are lots of bendings