i think im going to take a break from here

Sexi Alexi 94

Oct 10, 2006
ive noticed that i have almost 100 posts in only a few months and realize that i spend too much time on here just wasting time i think. so im going to take a break for a month or longer and anyways i will have more time to practice basketball and guitar, :headbang: , so thats pretty much all i wanted to say and also that i will be looking forward to the new jeff loomis cd and new nevermore cd whenever they are out! :headbang:

well maybe right now you are better than me but im trying to get better than you and other people thats why i wanna practice more lol! :lol: plus guitars not really a competion between people but i just want to get better for myself not to go against ohter people ya know?

The fact is, I don't even consider shredders to be good guitar players if they don't do it with taste. They are technically and mechanically more proficient than non-shredders, but that doesn't make them a better guitarist...only someone who has wasted the last 2-3 years of their life perfecting something that doesn't even matter. You can do runs and sweeps all day if you want...at the end of the day, if you can't write a good song, I am not impressed. I'll take David Gilmour over Malmsteen any day.

Reactions: Shpongled
I agree, I'm at the point where nowadays just hearing shred makes me feel sick. I can appreciate the fact that they can do those things but I honestly don't want to hear it anymore. It's almost as if shred has made me go backwards and listen to 60's and 70's "Progressive"/Psychedelic/Folk rock, and only a small amount of worthy metal bands.

Take it easy with the 'shredding' aspect guys... if it wasn't for Jeff Loomis I'd be still listening to mainstream crap...(thus never trying to be any good on the guitar). Ever since TGE (my first quality album I ever bought, for obvious reasons), I've got the biggest turn-arround in musical taste I ever had. I began searching into the the 'real' metal, got to learn really awesome bands and while I'm still a 'noob' compared to others, I've learned about the history of Gothenburg sound and etc.
I have to thank 'shredding' for my current state of being. I'm learning how to shred, and I can only hope to improve even more... But I know what you guys mean though, composition oftenly > just shredding. Loomis is best of both, else you wouldn't be posting on the Nevermore forum. (Don't forget WD's brilliant voice that makes Nevermore what they are even more)

sorry for the wall of text

The fact is, I don't even consider shredders to be good guitar players if they don't do it with taste. They are technically and mechanically more proficient than non-shredders, but that doesn't make them a better guitarist...only someone who has wasted the last 2-3 years of their life perfecting something that doesn't even matter. You can do runs and sweeps all day if you want...at the end of the day, if you can't write a good song, I am not impressed. I'll take David Gilmour over Malmsteen any day.
to add to that, covers/arrangements don't count.

i totally agree with dead winter. i think malmsteen may have good technique, or other fags like dragonforce who don't even have good technique, and trivium soloing, sucks because of the lack of musicality. but learning technique how to sweep, alt pick, legatto and all that shit is important so technique won't limit your creativity. One example of a brilliant mix of shred and feel is the solo in sentient 6, born, TGE (both solos), a future uncertain...
i take hetfield's solo in nothing else matters over any malmsteen solo....

I have a good reason why I'm tired of shred. I have a lot of friends who are shred guitar wankers who would happily drop to their knees and machine gun felatio Michael Angelo Batio, and all that gets forced upon me, so ive had enough of it.

if you learn the shredding techniques correctly, basically you can play ANYTHING you want, inclduing rhythm guitar very well. just because someone has the technique to pwn batio, that doesn't make them not rounded players, if they know how to and when to use that technique, they will own. take looomis and smyth for example