i think im going to take a break from here

I want to improve my shredding ability, or lack thereof, precisely for the stated fact that it opens more doors for you and you will be able to improve other areas of your playing. I don't want to shred...I don't have any reason for wanting to play a million miles an hour because the riff is what it's all about. I love beautiful, melodic, and tastefully done solos at all speeds. I look at shredding as a sort of ability much akin to juggling. Anyone can learn it, but do you really want to spend all that time learning something to perfection if it doesn't really matter anyway?

I want to improve my sweeping technique and improve my cross-string picking, but other than that there's not that much that interests me. I want to write really good riffs and songs, and solos don't make the song. I've got pretty good chops, and rhythmically I'm very comfortable playing most styles of metal...there are just areas where I feel I can improve my soloing ability.

i totally agree with dead winter. i think malmsteen may have good technique, or other fags like dragonforce who don't even have good technique, and trivium soloing, sucks because of the lack of musicality. but learning technique how to sweep, alt pick, legatto and all that shit is important so technique won't limit your creativity. One example of a brilliant mix of shred and feel is the solo in sentient 6, born, TGE (both solos), a future uncertain...
i take hetfield's solo in nothing else matters over any malmsteen solo....

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks that Dragonforce's technique is somewhat sloppy. It's really really fast, but faster doesn't always mean better...or cleaner.

yes, ever since he changed his avatar for the first time in the 4 years that ive been here, i have been forgetting that that is him

since october when you jioned i posted about 1000 times, and i'm probably 1000 times better on guitar than you

Who gives a fuck, you little dweeb? Even though it's a fake account, the principle of you acting like that to somebody you think is real is fucking retarded. If you can't appreciate the fact that a person enjoys playing guitar, has a music taste different than yours, and has a genuine strive to get better then who really cares about your playing? You're obviously a crapass person and judging by your immature and ignorant posts it's pretty obvious that you're a fuck-all crapass player.

Who gives a fuck, you little dweeb? Even though it's a fake account, the principle of you acting like that to somebody you think is real is fucking retarded. If you can't appreciate the fact that a person enjoys playing guitar, has a music taste different than yours, and has a genuine strive to get better then who really cares about your playing? You're obviously a crapass person and judging by your immature and ignorant posts it's pretty obvious that you're a fuck-all crapass player.

thank you, your post allowed me to add 10 more beats per minutes to my metronome speed. i will soon play like alexi! fuck yeah!:kickass:

he smokes a lotta dick