Well, Im listening to St. Anger right now...

Xyrus77

Lord Of Chaos
Feb 17, 2002
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I dont know what to say. Each listen it gets a little better. I think it could actually be a good album. I will give a better report tomorrow. Its definatley not the worst Ive heard. I will say the production is absolute shit though. The songs are actually pretty good.

The DVD is much better. Lars uses a regular snare and that really makes all the difference in the world. Plus the levels are better. They should have used the DVD's recordings instead of the production they chose.

I guess if Bob Rock wanted to get away from that image of producing clean sounding albums he sure as shit did it with this one.

But all in all I like the album. DVD is better though. Im going to try to rip that to an Audio CD if thats at all possible. Only the audio portion. Wish me luck and let me know your thoughts on the new Metallica.

meh to me it sounds like they weren't very "angry" when they recorded it... more like they were half asleep and nursing hangovers. There just doesnt' seem to be much energy going in to any of the playing. The music is good but its executed like a sloppy handshake. I'd say it is shit production, but I reckon it's also in part due to shit performances by james and kirk. Thats just my take though. I was hoping I'd like this album a whole lot more, and although it does have potential, I wish they would have recorded it with some energy and some FUCKING DISTORTION ON THOSE GUITARS. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT? IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY'RE JUST PLAYING THE CLEAN CHANNEL TOO LOUD AND IT'S DISTORTING.

/rant over

But Robert and Lars are getting it. No too shabby, just crappy guitar sound. i'm giving it a pretty okay good. Better than the jeez this sucks ass of the few albums before. Needss that BIG guitar sound to go over the top tho.I almost hear a little Cliff in the bass playing, Man that dude was a giant killer on bass.o_O

hte more i listen to it the more I like it... not its not super heavy and no it doesn't sound like puppets but it has its own unique "charm" i guess. The songs are quite passionate I reckon, without sounding "soft".

Yeah I seem to agree with you guys. What about the DVD though? Did any of you watch it yet and do you think the production on the DVD makes the songs sound better then on the actual recorded album?

lol ..i cant believe ppl think that lars snare sounds good ..hahaha .sounds like a fuckin frying pan IMO

and those blastbeats are LAME

dead6skin6mask6 said:
DVD is better, but doesnt take away the fact that the sucks suck

What a fucking idiot hypocrite you are. I wish I had the time to bring up all the threads with you hyping Craptallica and St.Anger.

YOU ARE BLOODY CLOTTED TAMPON FROM YOUR MOMS NASTY HOLE!!!

But you have the time to chase Will around the board babbling about tampons every time he posts...

Dude, seriously, you are a pathetic shell of a human being if this is what you spend your time on. Go curl up in the corner and gnaw on your own ballsack until the sensation of an actual living being touching your shrunken genitalia causes you to ejaculate; then when you pass out you will choke to death on a mixture of blood and semen.

And no one will miss you.

And the only reason anyone will care is because of the oxygen you're freeing up for the rest of the world.

I will now proceed to ignore your pathetic barbs and taunts...I've said my piece, and now you are nothing to me.

Have a nice day.

Yeah back the fuck off I think Will has some fucken balls for realising that it isn't that great an album and not liking it "just cause it's 'tallica" (even after we all got our hopes up :(). It's an ok album, but nothing that a lot of other shit doesn't piss on. Metallica are still my favourite band ever and nobody is ever going to be able to conquer the trilogy (RTL, MOP, AJFA).

I like the bit near the end of "sweet amber" though. If they had have used some fucken production techniques that bit would sound like it was fresh off Justice.

The snare is something else. Like a steel garbage can or something equally as "walmart" as that. The lyrics are childish. I want my anger to be healthy, my ass. The production is dismal. The guitars? "We wanted to overdub (OVERDUB?! WTF?) the solo's, but it 'cheapened' our sound". Whatever. Why people care, I don't know. Its just another pestilent album, not unlike any other punk/alternative release. So much pent up and waiting for release here, and this is the result. Not for me. It's a 2 AND A 2 AND a half if that.

Attention "mullet mart" shoppers, we have a special on the Lars Ulrich snare drum. 9.99$ while supplies last.

At first I thought this album was just a bunch of noise/muddy, but after 10-12 listens now I can hear a ton of riffs. This album is definitely unique. The tin can/copper drum is still bothering me a bit, but really that may be my only complaint. I don't mind the Het vox = SOAD/Patton deal on some of the tracks. And lyrically, I think this is one of their better efforts.

This is what Slayer was going for on GHUA, but they missed it completely. GHUA is forced angst while St. Anger has a feeling of sincerity throughout. The lack of solos is also not a problem as I always listened to TallicA for the riffs anyway.

Favorite songs at the moment:

My World
All Within my Hands (KILL KILL KILL.....)
Frantic
Sweet Amber (opening reminds me of a MegadetH-type riff)
Some Kind of Monster ("cleanest" song on the album; CoC meets nu meets thrash with a chorus and melody)
Purify

Overall this album is a shit load better than I thought it would be based upon hearing the title track (which turns out ot be my least favorite track on this album). The show I'm going to on July 8th should be interesting.

DavE

PS: The DvD rules as well. The tin can/copper sound is replaced with the traditional drum sound and the songs are played in double speed. Awesome.

Purify is my favorite song on the whole album. Crank your stereo as loud as you can when you listen to that. That song just kicks so much ass.

And I agree completely on the 10-12 listens thing. The more you listen to it the cooler it gets. Its not a pick up and play album by any means. You really have to listen to it a few times to take in everything thats going on.

Take in everything that's going on?

WHAT?!

NOTHING.IS.HAPPENING.

The guitars are next to absent, and when they are there, it's a mix of mudvayne and down.
Simple.As.That.

*Puts on some VENOM*