St. Anger

Wraithchild said:
Drumslut, I would love to go, but I am forever doomed to work two twelve hour shifts on Sat & Sun night which are almost impossible to get covered if I call off. :( Does Creeping Death have a website?Speaking of Megadeth, is Dave Mustain recovering at all? Last I heard is that he may never be able to play guitar again.

Creeping Death's Website is www.creepingdeathonline.com and Dave Mustaine is featured in an article in the current GUITAR WORLD where he talks about his recovery which required rest and physical therapy. It's interesting.

pretty sad sounding record...
I ended up giving my copy away and driving over to Tower to get the new Anthrax... now that's a band that seems to love playing music... and John Bush sounds better and better

Bruce Chickinson said:
Dave Mustaine is featured in an article in the current GUITAR WORLD where he talks about his recovery which required rest and physical therapy. It's interesting.

i think it sucks how every time he tried to buy jackson, the deal would fall through. now we gotta deal w/ fender owning them. i just hope they dont screw with the quality of the guitars. what really sucks is how the cancelled a lot of the distrubtion deals. theres a lot of places in europe that it is impossible to get them. well, other than used which i suspect that the prices are climbing.

idea.gif
business idea!!!!

drumslut said:
I hated the Joe Lynn Turner material

Yngwie... kicks ass! So what if he's an A-hole! Isn't that the way we like our matcho guitar heros? If he didn't have such a huge ego... he probably would have never practiced as much or excelled at his game... he is untouchable (in neo-classical).

I liked the Joe Lynn Turner release... except "This Could Be Paradise" Sappy - Yuk!

I like "Riot in the Dungeon", "Queen is in Love", "Da Ja Vu", and "Crystal Ball". That was a great tour too... Yngwie & Lita Ford. That was a summer to remember... (sigh).

How about the live Video and Record from that tour? Malmsteen "tore it up" on that thang... is that out on DVD yet?

I like the album, some tracks have very good riff, but I won't hide my disapointement with the lack of effort and professionnalism, and worst of all, respect for their fans...
No time to mic the drum set? Come on! They had 6 fucking years to do it!

:erk:
Sorry to disappoint all the bashers, but truth be told I rather like it. :oops:
It's good to hear heavy Metallica again. No, its not Master of Puppets II, and there probably will never be such an incredible Metallica album as MOP again. But look on the bright side, thankfully it is also not Load III. Sure the drums are annoying at first, and some of the lyrics suck in a lot of ways, and no long guitar solos, etc, etc. But I give 'em some credit for trying to make an original sounding record.
I stayed away from all the negativity and just kept spinning it in my car CD player to form my own opinion. Guess all the repetition has grown on me and has me hooked, I enjoy listening to it almost everyday. Oh well.
:wave:

Wraithchild said:
Speaking of Megadeth, is Dave Mustain recovering at all? Last I heard is that he may never be able to play guitar again.
I actually got to spend an afternoon hangin' around Dave a couple of weeks ago and he said his hand is totally healed and he has started to play more. I didn't get exactly what happend but apparently it was serious enough he almost lost some fingers.

mustaine.jpg

SciKikMobster said:
"shoot me again I ain't dead yet"

That rules!
yup...

as you had mentioned earlier mafia man:
SciKikMobster said:
Metallica are damned if the do and damned if the don't! They made the the mistake of becoming rich and famous.
this album was prolly gonna be bashed no matter what it sounded like... ya think james was expecting it when he penned the lyrics to shoot me again?

Read the Guitar World interview regarding the production process and songwriting. It sheds light onto the process. I just wish they put a little more time into it so the production sounded more polished...they sure had the budget.....they were trying to appeal to the younger crowd that buys albums from SOAD, Deftones, and the like but those albums are meticulous. I still don't understand why Bob Rock boasts about how he quickly put it together in a make-shift way very quickly with micing the instruments and using not enough mics. Kind of experimental...

Risky but the song #6 on the Bilboard charts this week.

Keyser Soze said:
It sounds silly... like they didn't really

I have yet to hear ANY of the new Metallica CD! My question is, with all the talk about minimum production and very few microphones, I wonder if Bob Rock STILL got the 7-figure producer fee that he would have received if he DID put much more effort into the recording.

Those who are going to any Metallica shows coming up, please provide a review of how the band performs the new material live, and the quality (or lack thereof) of the sound. I wonder if they're going to try to achieve the same "garage band" sound live!

drumslut said:
I have yet to hear ANY of the new Metallica CD! My question is, with all the talk about minimum production and very few microphones, I wonder if Bob Rock STILL got the 7-figure producer fee that he would have received if he DID put much more effort into the recording.
Yes, it's in his contract. Plus, he's also getting a percentage of the sales (which is currently at double platinum and slowing down and sliding further down the Billboard Top 200 as I write this (it's now at #4 or #5). Also, we're beginning to find more copies of this disc in used record stores used bins.

There's nothing wrong with using a lo-fi approach to record engineering. Some bands and artists have done great albums just with a 4-track recorder (i.e. Black Sabbath's debut, Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced?). My problem with this album is that the songwriting has no cohesion. Bob Rock should have had more sense than to release this abortion to the consuming populace.

It's crap and I wanted to like this album. Now, I don't even want to like this band anymore. :ill:

smylex said:
Yes, it's in his contract. Plus, he's also getting a percentage of the sales (which is currently at double platinum and slowing down and sliding further down the Billboard Top 200 as I write this (it's now at #4 or #5).

Double platinum and #4 or #5 on Billboard is still pretty damn good. I guess Bob Rock made some easy money on this one, huh?

Well, Metallica could (should?) have taken the Van Halen route by staying at home chain smoking, surfing the Internet all day, and sitting around while the royalties keep coming in on previously released material.

Don't be too sure... Metallica spent a lot of time in the studio. That can't be cheap. Unless you own the studio and do the work yourself, the album can cost a fortune.

It's still pitiful, though, that all these European bands on Century Media like Lacuna Coil and In Flames can produce an excellent album in basically someone's living room, and Metallica produce this travesty in a top flight studio.