I think Opeth has steadily declined since Still Life.

Jan 4, 2006
California
xatal.com
Hear me out here, I'm not saying they're awful now, I think they're great. Just not as good. I'm not trying to flame or anything, just voice my opinion.

When I listen to Still Life, I'm completely caught up in it. The music itself has such an atmosphere that's still unlike anything I've ever heard. It has a real organic feel to me, like I'm listening to the sounds of nature. A lot of that comes from the large amount of higher-pitched sounds, and a lot of that also comes from how well some of the riffs flow. "The Moor", "Moonlapse Vertigo", "Serenity Painted Death", and "Benighted" are all songs that get me incredibly wrapped up in the music, and don't even get me started with how powerful "Face of Melinda" is. The whole album is very solid and continuous, and to me it's really more like one single song than seven.

Moving on to Blackwater Park, a lot of the songs have a 'natural' feel, but not in the same way as Still Life. "Bleak" and "Blackwater Park" are exceptional at giving me that feeling, and other songs on the album do it for a bit too. Even though I like Still Life more than Blackwater Park as a whole, my favorite individual songs are actually on Blackwater Park.

Deliverance was a great album as well. The self-titled song, "Master's Apprentices", and "A Fair Judgement" are all strong tracks in their own right, all of which could be considered in the Top 10 for me. But when I listen to the album, I don't feel as much coherence as I felt from Blackwater Park, and definitely not as much as from Still Life.

Damnation is different for obvious reasons so I don't really include it, but I do feel that it is more coherent as a whole than Deliverance. Just in a different way than the others because, obviously, it's not a heavy album.

As for Ghost Reveries, this for me is where the difference becomes more obvious. Even though most of the songs relate to each other, they still feel very individual in their own way and I don't get the same flow. Within themselves, the songs have a great flow, but as a whole I really don't pick up on much.

And finally, with Watershed I really don't feel much coherence at all. For me, the album is less (for lack of a better word) eargasmic and more about being impressed with Mike's writing and vocal abilities. I don't get nearly as caught up in the music as before, it's more just "oooh this sounds cool!". At first I thought I just wasn't giving it a good chance, but after it finally 'clicked', I realized that it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Again, I'm not knocking Opeth's albums. I love them and they're great music, and even though Watershed currently isn't as much of a favorite of mine, it's still a great album and I love listening to it. Just not as much as others. I'm just wondering if anyone else notices this or feels what I feel?

All the albums post Still Life besides Deliverance I find better. BWP is definitely their definitive album, Ghost Rev is rhythmically their strongest effort, and Watershed is their most well rounded cd so I disagree.

personally I think the albums from MAYH to Deliverance represent the peak of Opeth - or perhaps the classic years. I suppose I'd agree with you that Damnation and GR weren't amazing, but Watershed, I think, is the biggest and most successful step the band has made to moving forward and trying different things, I still don't think its as good as their earlier stuff, but its fresh and interesting. And Id say theres a good chance that the next Opeth album(s) could very well compete with their earlier work

"Hi! My name is headbanger1547, and my overblown sense of self-importance has gotten completely out of hand lately, so I thought I'd post something stupid on a message board and have a bunch of total strangers rip me to shreds."

Masochistic much?!

Still Life is my favorite.. Watershed, I was excited about it.. but I still listen to Still Life alot more. Although Burden is played more than anything on Still Life. I love Opeth :)

wow...the fanboys are easily offended. He didn't even say the albums sucked. I actually agree with him. Almost partly out of spite lol.

I wasn't offended, he said Opeth has declined since Still Life, but I think Blackwater Park is better than Still Life, that means I disagree with him.

Their first album was their best album. Their second album was their second best album. Guess what i'm going to say next? : )

I think this is a well written post that makes a good point. Opeth haven't surpassed Still Life for the album experience. I don't go and listen to many Still Life songs out of context - I simply go through a phase that forces me to listen all the way through from beginning to end (many times). Still Life was kind of a last hurrah to any remnants of the crummy black metal production, and while it took the progressive attitude a step further than the landmark MAYH, Blackwater Park and onward had much cleaner production. So maybe the rest of them lost some of that vinyl style warmth for you, if you get what I'm saying. It's a matter of aesthetics. But give the new stuff a chance - in fact, many chances - it took me until 2007 before I "got" Ghost Reveries, and it's easily one of my top 3 Opeth albums.

Yeah well, Still Life is my favorite Opeth record as well, followed closely by Watershed. I just thought the purpose of this thread came across more to stir up shit than express an opinion, but upon second read, perhaps... perhaps not.

I strongly disagree with the overall point, though. For me at least, it's really been more of the typical ups-and-downs of any great band.

But whatever, everyone's entitled to their prejudices, I suppose. Knock yourself out!

At first I thought I just wasn't giving it a good chance, but after it finally 'clicked', I realized that it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Maybe this is where your problem is... You've been so blown away at Still Life, that every time you have heard subsequent albums you've had Still Life in your mind, and because Opeth is an ever-progressing band, none of these albums have lived up to your expectations. I could be way off here, as I actually have no idea whether or not you heard Still Life before the subsequent albums, but personally the first album I heard by Opeth was Blackwater Park, and that to me remains my personal favourite up until today.

I would have to say I know what you mean - that Still Life and some certain songs have that feeling that just brings you to a place in your head only Opeth could convey in certain rhythms, melodies and harmonies - Still Life as a whole does that for me, as well as My Arms, Your Hearse. It's like they captured something that could only have been captured at that specific moment. I feel that this is a trait to all Opeth albums - they have their moments when they're recorded. But at some point you have to understand one thing: some things never change, but some things do - and have to. Opeth has evolved - Mikael's had children, Peter & Lopez have left. They are not stuck in the 90's. And more or less, they don't write music for the fans who want them to back-track. They write it for themselves, and give it to those who anticipate what their next move is, and let them fill in the blanks.