I think the In Flames everyone wants is dead

Iced In Flames

Shredderite
Jan 26, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
I dont think they are going to be going back to "death metal" again. I think they are at the point now where they realize they kinda made it so they are going to stick with it. Not that I can blame them. With the switch of guitars also. Their sound is different you can tell. I think this is a good thing to be honest. I'm always up for a band to create new things and explore new territory. But alot of death metal bands are changing anymore. Soilwork to name one. I think Dark Tranquillity should incorprate more Clean vocals in. Projector is my favorite Dark Tranquillity cd. Sentenced is MUCH better now with Ville on vocals and not doing death metal.

What do you guys think on this? Keep the bashing to a minimal. I'd like to have a discussion about this. :hotjump:

Nah, I don't think IF has changed that much (ok start calling me an idiot now =D)... And we'll just have to wait for the next album before we can really make any judgements... In my opinion Watch them feed is very death metal and it's not as bad as some people claim it is... If my hopes would be fulfilled, IF would start going back to the direction of Clayman,Colony,Whoracle but I don't think I wouldn't buy their next album even if they would carry on the path of R2R.

I'm all for a band to change, and experiment, IF it's done right. What In Flames is doing isn't right in my opinion. The worst thing is definately Anders vocals though, I can't stand them. You know, tons of people, including myself, have wanted In Flames to play old material live for a long time, and when I sat and thought about it, it doesn't even matter. When they play old songs now, they might as well be brand new, with the way Anders sings them. His voice doesn't do the old songs justice anymore. I should have realized this before, when I witnessed Artifacts of the Black Rain played live, but I think I was too excited when he yelled "This one is... ARTIFACTS OF THE BLACK RAIN!!"

I think In Flames DESPERATELY needs a new vocalist. The music itself bothers me a bit, but it's more-so the vocals. While 'Speed' from Soilwork has changed his vocal-style some, you can still hear pieces of the old style here and there... with Anders, you can't. His screeching/whiny vocals need to go.

As for Sentenced, I totally agree. They're one of my favorite bands, and Ville is an awesome vocalist. Dark Tranquillity - I'm happy with the way they're heading - back to the roots. \m/

Reactions: JesteR-7
The Frozen One said:
I think In Flames DESPERATELY needs a new vocalist. The music itself bothers me a bit, but it's more-so the vocals. While 'Speed' from Soilwork has changed his vocal-style some, you can still hear pieces of the old style here and there... with Anders, you can't. His screeching/whiny vocals need to go.

Totally agree with you!

I can't see them changing vocalists. At all.
They've had their time of death metal and they are moving on, however they are doing it in a bad direction, not because it attracts "fake" fans and all that shite, its because the music itself doesnt mean much, like the lyrics

From green to red our days pass by
Waiting for a sign to tell us why
Are we dancing all alone?

compared to
egoism dictates human relations
a world where fashion outshines morality
here success is written in blood-red colours
designed by the thirst for power

I call it loss of creativity. Although I also heard around these forums that the band didnt write Ordinary Storys lyrics so...

I personally like Anders Friden's vocals. it took me awhile to accept his r2r style, but the more I hear it the more I like it.

...and I don't believe it is a loss of creativity in the vocals. his delivery now is actually more creative. much more variety and layering...but it is different, which unfortunately does alienate some long time fans.

The Frozen One said:
I'm all for a band to change, and experiment, IF it's done right. What In Flames is doing isn't right in my opinion. The worst thing is definately Anders vocals though, I can't stand them....

As for Sentenced, I totally agree. They're one of my favorite bands, and Ville is an awesome vocalist... \m/

I agree with this ... i always prefer a band to change the sound and fuck up than to repeat themselves (iron maiden anyone ???...let the bashing begin) ... i hope if anders doesnt abandon his clean vocals that at least he has the decency to get good at it !!

Change is good as long as the change actually has something to do with the musical part.
Reroute was just pop-experimentation and no attempt at all to conquer any musical territory, thats where all pro-RTR argumenters fail time after time.
As for clean vocs; I would like clean vocs on the next Dark Tranquillity album, because i trust in their musical sense and what they're doing basically.
Of course i once trusted In Flames, a mistake i'll never do again.

stefan86 said:
Change is good as long as the change actually has something to do with the musical part.
Reroute was just pop-experimentation and no attempt at all to conquer any musical territory, thats where all pro-RTR argumenters fail time after time.
As for clean vocs; I would like clean vocs on the next Dark Tranquillity album, because i trust in their musical sense and what they're doing basically.
Of course i once trusted In Flames, a mistake i'll never do again.
you rule.

I hope the next album doesn't have the shitty production of RTR. Passenger had better voclas, so hopefully Anders will continue to do better clean vocals.

Steve

are you sure they've "made it" with this new album?

In Flames were all about amazing guitar lines, the odd amazing solo and power ful vocals that matched it correctly (im thinking whoracle).
The new In Flames sound is really bad, i havent heard any new stuff live, but im gonna presume its crap.
We need more guitar lines, and we want it recorded well, not stuffed into the background. Crank up zombie Inc, its incredible and the quality of playing shows they are proffesional, when i hear the new stuff i hear a project someone could do in college for a week.
Someone needs to get the word to in flames to go back to their old sound, the stuff that musicians everywhere respected.

Progress is necessary; I only hope that the production will be better on the next album... In my opinion RTR suffered so much from its unfitting production (well, I don't think it could have become a favourite even if the production was better, but anyway...)

Reactions: CONCLAVE OBSCURUM
Hopefully they will go back to Studio Fredman..... and Fredrik Nordstrom will help produce... RTR was some of the worst production ever....

@Nocturnal Emperor: Sounds good to me :)
@Friday13th: Totally agree with that acoustic thingie... Man, I just love those songs on Whoracle. Those little "moments of peace" between the growling and heavy riffing fits in totally great.