I want a dirty new record

I don't think something is raw because it is recorded with sucky material. It's like In The Nightside Eclipse from Emperor, (I've read they plugged a crappy dist pedal right into the mixing panel, just to fuck everything just a bit more up :headbang: ), I still think that album would be a lot better if you could hear the guitars like they are.
Raw is more a production that lets you hear everything of the players and the instruments that can be heard. (example: absolutely NO drum machines)
Aargh, just listening to Nightside and hmm, you CAN actually hear everything.
Bad example. Next: Anal Cunt. That should be considered as raw, well, I don't.

Haha, then what's the point you're trying to make? It's like you try to make a distinction then consciously contradict yourself.

Raw to me is when not much effort at all has been placed into the production, or the musicians have actively done things in the studio to create an extra reverberated and distant sort of environment. Not even that, as long as the recording is somewhat muddy, less served up for you and demanding of more attention, I think it is raw. For the most part, I can't stand these albums, because I think the shitty production jobs undermine the musical content, but every once in a while you'll get a gem which actually draws something from the very spartan recording sessions it would've been recorded/mixed in.

I know, my point is getting a little fuzzy by now... ;)
Hm, I'm gonna read the thread again from the beginning and see how I can save my ass here.
Done. Well, raw or not, I don't care. It's all about putting enough time in the guitar riffs, making them interesting, and record them on a way that nothing that was ment to be heard disappears. This is what I didn't explain very well I think. On deliverance, there probably wasn't something that was ment to be heard while we can't hear it, and that is what I really missed (small variations an a guitar riff, etc..) That's more or less my point. Forget about production, I don't really care, as long as you can hear everything like it was.

I hope I didn't mess it up completely now :Smug:

I think the value of production is subject to change by the context of the recording itself. A band that plays primitive, stripped back black metal (see Darkthrone) are entirely suited to the lo-fi, trebbly production they strive for. Similarly, a band like Kreator would not acheive quality delivery if they had the same production as Darkthrone.

What it comes down to is; suitable production is good production. The sterility of Deliverance literaly strips the recording from acomplishing any emotion or mood, thus, this album has BAD production no matter how you look at it.

Subjective.

bangadrian said:
four albums.
I stand corrected.

Décadent said:
Subjective.
Yes!

Jinn said:
Natural sound is what ruined Damnation for me.

When you get settled down, with it playing in your headphones, you relax... FINGERSQUEAK!!!!

Fucking fingersqueaking...
I'm another who thinks it's nice...also helps you kinda imagine him playing it. In fact, sometimes when trying to work things out on guitar, i use it so i know when he changes finger positions. If i'm playing something and I dont get 'fingersqueak' when i'm supposed to, i'll know that i'm probably not playing it correctly.

I was hoping mike would post in this thread but owell.

Fingersqeeking rocks, love it on Metallica's AJFA, and on Damnation, in fact the production on Damnation is beautiful is sounds natural. Great album to listen to while walking though a park.