I wonder when 9/11 will become like Memorial Day and Veterans Day...

Though is it really about the numbers? I mean, after 100, everything can be seen as a huge loss of life. It's the fact that Americans were attacked on their soil, and that attack has since changed the face of the planet - everything from a war in Afghanistan (and maybe Iraq as well) to a fucking Dutch comic. I just don't think the world is a same place as it was before, regardless of how many people died.
I get what you're saying, but doesn't every terrorist attack change the world? Doesn't every military invasion? Hell, Franz Ferdinand can tell you that even one man's death can be the event that sets a world war in motion (well, he could tell you if he wasn't dead).

9/11 was an excuse for the U.S. to start a war in Iraq, true, but their destabilization of the region had been going on for years - the war in Iraq is just the culmination (at least, I hope) of that destabilization policy. 9/11 didn't have as much impact as most think - it was a convenient excuse, nothing more.

And as for numbers, bah, it's nowhere near as much (not even 1/1000th!) of the deaths caused by Stalin and only about 1/200th of the approximate number of Jews thrown in the ovens by Hitler. And it's nowhere near the amount of people butchered in Africa every day.

Indeed, he felt quite passionately about them.

Also, it's difficult to quantify human life, so I'm not sure we can get a debate going here. What's for sure is that white people are most worthy, maybe that's a good starting point.

It's only logical that white people are most worthy to us, if you think of it. We're all white, with the exception of that my pals Resonator, so white people are the most like us - only natural that we care about them more than about a few darkies butchering each other. The less the victims are like us, the less we care, or better, the further we (figuratively) stand from the victims, the less we care.

I get what you're saying, but doesn't every terrorist attack change the world? Doesn't every military invasion? Hell, Franz Ferdinand can tell you that even one man's death can be the event that sets a world war in motion (well, he could tell you if he wasn't dead).

9/11 was an excuse for the U.S. to start a war in Iraq, true, but their destabilization of the region had been going on for years - the war in Iraq is just the culmination (at least, I hope) of that destabilization policy. 9/11 didn't have as much impact as most think - it was a convenient excuse, nothing more.

And as for numbers, bah, it's nowhere near as much (not even 1/1000th!) of the deaths caused by Stalin and only about 1/200th of the approximate number of Jews thrown in the ovens by Hitler. And it's nowhere near the amount of people butchered in Africa every day.

* Every terrorist attack DOES NOT change the world. At all. Sure, it affects not a few people, but it does not even come close to even slightly affecting the world. As for every military invasion, of course it does. But this terrorist attack was what brought to this invasion.

* Maybe for Iraq, it was an excuse. I can't claim to really know. But what about Afghanistan? Was there any other reason? Also, if the war in Iraq was going to happen regardless, how different would it have seemed if it was the only front the US was fighting on?

*And, like I said, I don't think the numbers are important, because after a certain amount, it more or less envokes the same reaction. Whether it was one thousand or one million, it's the action itself that had the most impact, I think. It seems to have completely changed the way the US looks at itself and the world (for good or bad).

And the States is the only place I know of that uses modern memorial days as an excuse to have a BBQ. In Israel we certainly don't do that on Holocaust memorial days or any war memorial day. I don't know about Russia, but I'm guessing it's the same. As for Africa, well... I guess we just have to wait and see how that ends.

Is the sun out? it's a good day to BBQ. That's why we do it on Holidays, because most of us get them OFF.

Edit: Using memorial days as an excuse to cry is a lame reason. Mourn early, get over it, try to have a good time while you keep those you knew or you respect in mind. BBQs are actually a good way of doing this.

* Every terrorist attack DOES NOT change the world. At all. Sure, it affects not a few people, but it does not even come close to even slightly affecting the world. As for every military invasion, of course it does. But this terrorist attack was what brought to this invasion.
Every terrorist attack changes the world, only sometimes it only shifts things very subtly. In cases of a combination of terrorist attacks leading to a change, you can't possibly claim that only the last one is significant?

* Maybe for Iraq, it was an excuse. I can't claim to really know. But what about Afghanistan?
Seriously, man, the crap the Americans have been stirring up in Afghanistan has been going on since the cold war, when the Russians were swinging the club and the Americans wanted to drive the filthy commies out - which is, incidentally, why they trained Bin Laden.

Whether it was one thousand or one million, it's the action itself that had the most impact, I think. It seems to have completely changed the way the US looks at itself and the world (for good or bad).
I follow you there, that's 100% right.

That's because you're a Jew.

5l79es.jpg

"Get this through ya head, you Jew moddafukka you!"

And the States is the only place I know of that uses modern memorial days as an excuse to have a BBQ. In Israel we certainly don't do that on Holocaust memorial days or any war memorial day. I don't know about Russia, but I'm guessing it's the same. As for Africa, well... I guess we just have to wait and see how that ends.

How is it any different from the Jewish tradition of using ancient memorial days as excuses to have special meals? Hanukkah, Purim, Pesach...

Every terrorist attack changes the world, only sometimes it only shifts things very subtly. In cases of a combination of terrorist attacks leading to a change, you can't possibly claim that only the last one is significant?

Seriously, man, the crap the Americans have been stirring up in Afghanistan has been going on since the cold war, when the Russians were swinging the club and the Americans wanted to drive the filthy commies out - which is, incidentally, why they trained Bin Laden.

It does not. The amount of terrorist attacks going on here, while significantly lower than in the past, is still pretty high compared to the rest of the world. Even in the "heyday", how much did it actually affect Australia, Canada, Europe, Russia, or any other country? Yes, the situation as a whole may affect some of them,but never has one act affected them.

I'm aware of why the Americans trained and funded Bin Laden, but that doesn't mean they would've gone to war with them. I think it's highly impausible that any action would have taken place there without being attacked first, especially something as drastic as war and the complete face-lift of the goverment.

How is it any different from the Jewish tradition of using ancient memorial days as excuses to have special meals? Hanukkah, Purim, Pesach...

I specifically said modern memorial days for that very reason. In a few thousand years, it's completely understandable that that is how you "remember" all those things. But something that is so recent, I just don't get.

Also, the reasoning behind having a big ass dinner on the ancient holidays, is to celebrate surviving those past ordeals, but I guess that could be said about anything...

without reading all the rest, let me ask this:

When will December 7 (Pearl Harbor Day) be treated like Memorial/Veterans Day? To my knowledge we don't get any special holidays for the Pearl Harbor attack, so why get one for some rag-headed wannabejewbastard ramming into a building like the lemming he is?

It does not. The amount of terrorist attacks going on here, while significantly lower than in the past, is still pretty high compared to the rest of the world. Even in the "heyday", how much did it actually affect Australia, Canada, Europe, Russia, or any other country? Yes, the situation as a whole may affect some of them,but never has one act affected them.
So a situation is not caused by acts then? You need to see beyond the length of your nose here. Every terrorist act influences the situation, and that, by extension, changes the world.

I'm aware of why the Americans trained and funded Bin Laden, but that doesn't mean they would've gone to war with them. I think it's highly impausible that any action would have taken place there without being attacked first, especially something as drastic as war and the complete face-lift of the goverment.
So you mean the U.S. didn't scrap with the Russians years ago? And you mean they didn't overthrow the Afghan regime to put the Taliban into place, the same Taliban that they now decry as terrorists and murderers?

What the hell's going on here?

There's no substance to this argument. America has no taste, Israel does, terrorism is bad, no it's not, I love Hitler, white people, white people.