Iced Earth

TotenMitMacht

JESUSCHRISTONACRUTCH
Jan 31, 2004
Did anyone see Iced Earth with COB? They just came to Cincinnati but I couldn't go see them due to prior engagements. How are they live? I borrowed the CD "Night of the Stormrider" from my friend and it kicked ass. They kinda remind me of old Metallica mixed with mid-career (Seasons in the Abyss) Slayer, but more progressive with the pianos and all.

The few times I saw them live with Barlow, they were awesome, especially at The World in NYC 2 years ago.

I can't stand Ripper either. That album (TGB) has been disappointment of the year for me. I haven't listened to the first disc in 4 months.

Night of the Stormrider is the best non-Barlow album IMO. My favs are SWTWC, Dark Saga, and Horror Show, then Night of the Stormrider.

They're just old school Power Metal to me. They definitely have a thrash vibe going on too.

I saw them live and personally thought they were allright. I think Ripper kicks ass on the old songs but everything from Glorious Burden is a fucking bore. That 20 minute song is just shit. The stuff off Stormrider, Burnt Offerings, Something Wicked, etc. was really cool to hear live. Ripper kinda reminds me of the guy that sang on Stormrider. I'd also like to add that the new lead guitarist is pretty good compared to the guy he replaced (the leads on Alive in Athens are the only bad part of that album).

I think Tim Owens did great in the concert, most people need to stop lamenting Barlow's departure and get over it. Yes he was a great singer. Yes, he was perfect for the Iced Earth sound, but he's gone.... Tim Owens did great as the replacement and is a great singer altogether. I might have not liked The GLorious Burden as much as I had anticipated, but I'm definitely looking forward to Iced Earth's next album after seeing them live.

Don't know about you guys, but I would really love to have Ripper singing for my band ;)
He's got everything a heavy metal singer needs, just like the Primal Fear dude. The only thing is that he seems to carry his style from bands to bands, as I found TGB to be closer to the recent Judas Priest albums then to the Barlow era Iced Earth.

I like Ripper-era Iced Earth a lot, but I agree that Barlow fit the band a lot better. And Red Baron/Blue Max off TGB kicks ass!

My favorite Iced Earth album is actually Burnt Offerings (probably because it's their most progressive). I love Diary...what a great tune!

I really enjoyed the concert. I like Ripper's sound on all the songs, and though TGB is not my favorite, I really liked it. I have a feeling that everyone's negative feelings are due to Barlow's abscence, and thats a shame. Iced Earth was not boring at all, and Ripper sounds awesome.

To each his own, folks..some are going to prefer IE with Barlow, & others are going to enjoy what Ripper brings to the band. There is no right answer..

BlindPanzer said:
I think Tim Owens did great in the concert, most people need to stop lamenting Barlow's departure and get over it. Yes he was a great singer. Yes, he was perfect for the Iced Earth sound, but he's gone.... Tim Owens did great as the replacement and is a great singer altogether. I might have not liked The GLorious Burden as much as I had anticipated, but I'm definitely looking forward to Iced Earth's next album after seeing them live.
I am pissed that Barlow left, but that sure as hell ain't why i don't like ripper. I find his vocal style one dimensional and boring. Seriously, this dude sucks hardcore. He completely raped Melancholy and Dracula in concert, and for that i will never forgive him. Until Iced Earth finds a suitable replacement for Barlow, fuck em. Their music isn't interesting enough to carry itself alone; they need a good vocalist to make magic.

By the way, i would like to point out that even though Jon is a total redneck now with his pro america crap, the dude from BWBK is a dick and i think it's cool Jon is boycotting them. Jon is actually doing something right for once!

TotenMitMacht said:
Did anyone see Iced Earth with COB? They just came to Cincinnati but I couldn't go see them due to prior engagements. How are they live? I borrowed the CD "Night of the Stormrider" from my friend and it kicked ass. They kinda remind me of old Metallica mixed with mid-career (Seasons in the Abyss) Slayer, but more progressive with the pianos and all.

The NYC show back in April was awesome, one of the best I've been to. Ripper sounds good live, give him a break!

If someone asks me to describe what they sound like I'd say it's a cross between old Metallica and Maiden. Sort of.

-GK

I say we all kidnap Barlow from Homeland Security, and force him to sing w/ IE again, and then, I dunno, rip the Rippers vocal cords out, so he can never insult the world again with his shreik.

I could only imagine how bad Dracula was with Ripper =/

Atleast I still have Dante's Inferno

theodyssey said:
He completely raped Melancholy and Dracula in concert, and for that i will never forgive him. By the way, i would like to point out that even though Jon is a total redneck now with his pro america crap, the dude from BWBK is a dick and i think it's cool Jon is boycotting them.

I'm surprised they actually played Melancholy and Dracula. Ripper has no low range, so playing these songs was just pointless. And even though I like Ripper's highs, his mid-range is nothing special. I agree that he raped these songs; I would've preferred to hear some Burnt Offerings stuff (which they completely neglected)...Ripper would've at least sounded good on those.

I also agree with you that Jon's pro-America attitude is stupid. Not that there's anything wrong with being a patriot - it's just that vocalizing your opinion about it to everyone makes you look ignorant (and very annoying). By the way, did I miss something? What is "BWBK"???

Alright, so this thread has inspired me to re-try Iced Earth. I've got "Stormrider" in right now. But, I have to ask, favoring more metal in my prog (ie-The Odyssey), what else do ya'll recommend?

'And even though I like Ripper's highs, his mid-range is nothing special.'

'I am pissed that Barlow left, but that sure as hell ain't why i don't like ripper.'

'Its like taking Barlows vocals, bringing them up 2 octaves, and taking any feeling out of them.'

I agree with all those quotes.